Food Traders 2024.

Chimps

1 hour ago, Scrump said:

Fully expecting down votes here but... After hearing all the hype ( including a sales pitch from billy brag) I had a crumble shack crumble and thought it was mediocre. 

No idea what the fuss is about. And I do love a crumble.

I had it at Glastonbury and it was okay, but I had it at Shambala and it was great. So not sure what the difference was. 

2 hours ago, Scrump said:

Fully expecting down votes here but... After hearing all the hype ( including a sales pitch from billy brag) I had a crumble shack crumble and thought it was mediocre. 

I think with crumble you can get unlucky if you get the end of a batch of a fruit crumble the fruit can sometimes have gone to mush. I also think I have been lucky to always go there when starving and cold. A hug in crumble form is always best received then.

24 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I've never been impressed with the crumpet place either 🤷‍♂️

Which crumpet place? There are more than one. I thought one was mediocre at best because they weren't freshly made but Truly Crumptious I've never had a bad crumpet from.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I think with crumble you can get unlucky if you get the end of a batch of a fruit crumble the fruit can sometimes have gone to mush. I also think I have been lucky to always go there when starving and cold. A hug in crumble form is always best received then.

Which crumpet place? There are more than one. I thought one was mediocre at best because they weren't freshly made but Truly Crumptious I've never had a bad crumpet from.

I remember going to one at Avalon, but not sure what it was called!

My theory is to hit the best food you really like at the right time.  Get a fish curry the first couple of days they are available if that is your must have.  The logic is that in those early first days, the traders have time and capacity to work at a reasonable pace but once the manic times kick in and 200 thou people are looking to eat between pyramid acts, the attention to detail gets sacrificed due to quick turnaround and volumes sold.

I get a curry from my local takeaway on  say a Wednesday and it tastes miles better than the one on a busy Friday.  I made a lamb curry on Tuesday and it has been sat on the back of the stove since then.  Today, it tastes righteous and completely different to Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

My theory is to hit the best food you really like at the right time.  Get a fish curry the first couple of days they are available if that is your must have.  The logic is that in those early first days, the traders have time and capacity to work at a reasonable pace but once the manic times kick in and 200 thou people are looking to eat between pyramid acts, the attention to detail gets sacrificed due to quick turnaround and volumes sold.

I get a curry from my local takeaway on  say a Wednesday and it tastes miles better than the one on a busy Friday.  I made a lamb curry on Tuesday and it has been sat on the back of the stove since then.  Today, it tastes righteous and completely different to Tuesday.

Good theory. This year we said we are going to treat Wednesday and Thursday as the days to really appreciate the food line up because the rest of the weekend the entertainment kind of dictates where you are at certain times so we're going to try and seek out the best food stalls that we haven't tried on those days.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Scrump said:

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I remember loving Ghandi's flip flop at Glastonbury and raving about it to the family as was alwaysfantastic. Went to Deershed one year and they were there- great I thought as they can see what all the fuss is about. And of course it was decidedly average 

1 hour ago, dondo said:

I remember loving Ghandi's flip flop at Glastonbury and raving about it to the family as was alwaysfantastic. Went to Deershed one year and they were there- great I thought as they can see what all the fuss is about. And of course it was decidedly average 

Think all festival food can have the ability to be good or bad depending on the moment. I remember the first year we went my OH getting some jerk chicken from Clara’s Kitchen and it was the most delicious thing he’d ever had. Went back there later in the festival because he loved it so much. Next time it was still good but nowhere near as good. I had the same thing happen with a paneer tikka wrap. First time it was amazing, every other time it’s been okay but never hit the same heights again. Must be something to do with how hungry you are and your expectation level. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Think all festival food can have the ability to be good or bad depending on the moment. I remember the first year we went my OH getting some jerk chicken from Clara’s Kitchen and it was the most delicious thing he’d ever had. Went back there later in the festival because he loved it so much. Next time it was still good but nowhere near as good. I had the same thing happen with a paneer tikka wrap. First time it was amazing, every other time it’s been okay but never hit the same heights again. Must be something to do with how hungry you are and your expectation level. 

Maybe something to do with how much the staff are, erm, enjoying the festival. 

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Maybe something to do with how much the staff are, erm, enjoying the festival. 

True that could also be a factor although my absolutely banging paneer wrap was bought on a Sunday night. 

18 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

I remember going to one at Avalon, but not sure what it was called!

18 hours ago, gigpusher said:

That's Truly Crumptious.

Truly Crumptious is great 

23 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I think with crumble you can get unlucky if you get the end of a batch of a fruit crumble the fruit can sometimes have gone to mush

Good point but... tbh I don't crumble for the fruit 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:06 AM, gigpusher said:

Yeah the one in Avalon. Limp and undercooked. The garlic topping wasn’t overly tasty either.

20 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Like Heroine you are forever chasing that first high 😉

On 4/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, dotdash79 said:

I had it at Glastonbury and it was okay, but I had it at Shambala and it was great. So not sure what the difference was. 

2022 Crumble shack was definitely much much nicer than the ones I had in 2023... Still nice though, every single time. 

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

2022 Crumble shack was definitely much much nicer than the ones I had in 2023... Still nice though, every single time. 

I'd never had it before 2023 and went back and had it again as it was delicious...and I've eaten a lot of crumble 🙂 

32 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I'd never had it before 2023 and went back and had it again as it was delicious...and I've eaten a lot of crumble 🙂 

Oh yeh, it was never 'bad' always incredible. I just think it was a nicer in 2022... (They used much deeper pots in 2022 too 😉)