UK Politics

kalifire

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

the govt admit that most pip claimants are for mh problems, I've never met someone who genuinely cant work cos its too stressful (pull yourself together lad, no income is more stressful) but I've met plenty too disabled to work.

why are you acting like the only mental health problem is stress?

You're taking one thing and spinning it to suit your narrative.

I could name 10 MH issues off the top of my head that would make you struggle to work. You just keep talking about stress

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

why are you acting like the only mental health problem is stress?

You're taking one thing and spinning it to suit your narrative.

I could name 10 MH issues off the top of my head that would make you struggle to work. You just keep talking about stress

I would also argue stress is a serious issue and often down to overwhelming workload. If previously people just got on with it and made themselves worse, I think it’s positive now that many don’t.

For a short period of time , I went to work and had fairly big disagreements with one of my colleagues . It caused me fairly big issues with my MH whist at work and also out of work whilst I was thinking about it . It also caused massive anxiety and the shakes . Dr signed me off . I was no use to anyone at work . Fortunately after a few weeks things eased . 

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would also argue stress is a serious issue and often down to overwhelming workload. If previously people just got on with it and made themselves worse, I think it’s positive now that many don’t.

This is a big problem all round. The ‘Brexit Generation’ just can’t face that things have improved for so many newer workers. They still hate that the pandemic gave everyone a glimpse of how easily many office jobs can be done from home after they commuted for 40+ years etc. A lot of bitterness and resentment.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yeah defo , it is one of many issues though. I find it insulting that Neil is taking the attitude of 'this wouldn't happen in my generation' when i personally know many 50/ 60 year olds who have been signed off with stress

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

the govt admit that most pip claimants are for mh problems, I've never met someone who genuinely cant work cos its too stressful (pull yourself together lad, no income is more stressful) but I've met plenty too disabled to work.

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/benefits-assessments-making-people-with-mental-health-problems-more-unwell-mind-research-reveals/

Quite difficult to find stats on it but found a source in the above article - seems like its quite a lot less than most.

I just checked, for stress you get 600 quid a month… of course you’ll get the odd chancer, but it seems unlikely to me that a majority of claimants will be putting it on for the princely sum of 600 quid a month.

IMG_1355.jpeg

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I'm late 50's and II've known a few. When I was young a neighbour never left the house and never worked. Back then he was desribed as bad with his nerves. Another friends older brother had a severer MH problen and never worked. My nephew was in a secure home with schizophrenia as a late teenager and has never worked. I've had several work colleagues medically retired for stress.  As for pull yourself together, in the last 5 years 3 men I know (who all worked) have killed themselves.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I think Sweden closed high schools and Unis...

Covid lockdowns were most probably a factor, keeping young people isolated can't be good, but there is a lot of other stuff going on too.  I expect the future looks pretty bleak for many young people at moment - and they're just getting blasted with addictive and sometimes very damaging social media crap constantly.

Schools were mostly open.

But yeah kids here also get depressed.

Social media execs dont let their kids on it for good reason. The correlation between this sh*t being embedded in kids lives and the collective mental breakdown of a generation of kids is near perfect. I think its just so easy to detach yourself from reality and just sit and ruminate. I guess the pandemic exacerbates that, but its a problem that predates it too.

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/benefits-assessments-making-people-with-mental-health-problems-more-unwell-mind-research-reveals/

Quite difficult to find stats on it but found a source in the above article - seems like its quite a lot less than most.

I just checked, for stress you get 600 quid a month… of course you’ll get the odd chancer, but it seems unlikely to me that a majority of claimants will be putting it on for the princely sum of 600 quid a month.

IMG_1355.jpeg

You can get UC as well as pip UC can be another £180 pm total is much more than most people think benefits will pay 

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I just checked, for stress you get 600 quid a month…

i dunno how the amounts are worked, but top level pip pays £750pm (and that can be got without a face2face assessment) just filling in the forms, here's betting that there's info out there for what you need to put to get top wack.

7 hours ago, Neil said:

i dunno how the amounts are worked, but top level pip pays £750pm (and that can be got without a face2face assessment) just filling in the forms, here's betting that there's info out there for what you need to put to get top wack.

Still not enough to live on though is it. Even if you include UC you’re talking like a grand a month? Assuming they can even get top PIP- hardly seems worth it?

12 hours ago, Neil said:

The govt have never said such a thing, media like the Daily Hate (aka Mail) have though which seems to show what you choose to look at for research.

As for the 'pull yourself together' part - so 1950's Tory.

The more you write, the more opinions you post the more right wing you come across at the same time as decrying others for being right wing when they are clearly not right wing.

You are  a puzzle 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Neil said:

It can be got without face to face ONLY with 100% backing from medical professionals. So lots more than just filling out forms.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Good idea, or stupid waste of time and energy on focus group type policy making?

Passing the buck.

Government should lead and make the tough decisions.

Sadly Labour seem intent on making no decisions themselves so they cannot be blamed thus harming their future electoral chances. If we are going to have government who passes stuff to others to make decisions then scrap government as they become pointless.

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

Passing the buck.

Government should lead and make the tough decisions.

Sadly Labour seem intent on making no decisions themselves so they cannot be blamed thus harming their future electoral chances. If we are going to have government who passes stuff to others to make decisions then scrap government as they become pointless.

or giving more power back to the people.

But also...Sue Gray seems to be making the news a lot recently...I wonder if she's going to be a problem for Starmer.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

or giving more power back to the people.

But also...Sue Gray seems to be making the news a lot recently...I wonder if she's going to be a problem for Starmer.

That's what the Tories are doing too - making things decided locally to stop them having to make decisions and annoying people......................................... if politicians do not want to make decisions then what is the point of them?

I am all for citizen's doing stuff and scrapping Parliament but they will never do the later, just sit there getting paid while others do the decisions and work.

16 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Ok, defending Neil again, which isn't always easy...it has become easier to diagnose mental health issues over recent years as these things have become more understood, we now have more people being diagnosed with autism/asd or adhd for example...and these things would have been there before but now we have a diagnosis/label and an understanding that people with these conditions can't help it...and now with depression and/or anxiety we have more labels that people can help explain how they feel and get help for. Like with PTSD, this is not a new thing, but a condition. They once called it shell shock or whatever, but now it is understood much more. I don't know, it's a very complex area and I'm really not qualified, but my kid has struggled with her mental health through her adolescent years and has made me think about my own mental health, and basically I have self medicated with drugs and drink since my mid teens and now it has become obvious I am a functioning alcoholic. The human mind is complicated, whether diagnosing these conditions more is better or not I don't know, probably is I guess...but we need to get better as societies at helping people get through it...because societies need people to function, work and be productive, but they also need them to be healthy and happy.

Right, need another drink after that.

I'm sorry to hear about that Stevie, I genuinely am. Sometimes it's only when you properly start to self-reflect you realise these things.

I think covid maybe shone a light on these things for a lot of people too. This place has often been a bin fire and not a pleasant place to spend time (partially my fault of course) but it seems slightly more pleasant atm and hopefully will continue going forward

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It can be got without face to face ONLY with 100% backing from medical professionals. So lots more than just filling out forms.

cos medical professionals are the only incorruptible workers.

17 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

For a short period of time , I went to work and had fairly big disagreements with one of my colleagues . It caused me fairly big issues with my MH whist at work and also out of work whilst I was thinking about it . It also caused massive anxiety and the shakes . Dr signed me off . I was no use to anyone at work . Fortunately after a few weeks things eased . 

my generation wouldn't have dreamed of any of that, we'd be told to "pull ourselves together"(words i've heard from my doc).