UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

On QT most people seemed quite unforgiving of Labours decision on their green policy as they understand needed to change tact rather than fail on a manifesto promise. Seems like this hasn’t gone how the Tories wanted. 

I think you meant ‘quite forgiving’ and I agree they did. I thought Wes Streeting nailed it.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

On QT most people seemed quite unforgiving of Labours decision on their green policy as they understand needed to change tact rather than fail on a manifesto promise. Seems like this hasn’t gone how the Tories wanted. 

Most people can think for themselves and realise there's more than the climate that needs addressing by a new govt.

Not seen QT so will go find it on iPlayer.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I think you meant ‘quite forgiving’ and I agree they did. I thought Wes Streeting nailed it.

I'm not a fan of wes but I agree he gave a good answer.

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Yes - they're bowling at an open wicket.

As I see it, Starmer's let the media spin him around in a circle chasing a treat (promise to not slag off their fiscal prudence) and now he just looks dizzy.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I'm not a fan of wes but I agree he gave a good answer.

Politically too Blairite for me but he's their best media performer. He comes across as normal and has an  interesting background. 

Edited by lazyred

25 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Politically too Blairite for me but he's their best media performer. He comes across as normal and has an  interesting background. 

He looks like he should finish school before doing politics.

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Yeah I did, that’ll teach me not to proof read posts.

24 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

As I see it, Starmer's let the media spin him around in a circle chasing a treat (promise to not slag off their fiscal prudence) and now he just looks dizzy.

From what I’ve seen so far that’s not how the public are viewing this, from QT it came across that the public understood why they changed the funding for their plans and said they’d rather this than failed manifesto plans.

The Tories on the whole seem pretty hacked off that this hasn’t worked for them. 

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Seriously?

This place really is turning into a left wing echo chamber.

Respect should be given to all.

As a festivals forum, it's going to be inherently left wing. However there's no intention of turning it into an echo chamber.

"Respect" is quite a loaded word with different meanings though. To quote Thatcher “Anybody seen in a bus over the age of 30 has been a failure in life.”  Is it important to be respectful to people who hold disdain for you and those you care about? 

It's not just Tories either. I'll call Neil Coyle a sinophobic abusive waste of space. I'll call Chris Williamson an antisemitic bully. If a politician puts hateful politics into the public sphere, I will refer to them by that hate, not with respect.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

From what I’ve seen so far that’s not how the public are viewing this, from QT it came across that the public understood why they changed the funding for their plans and said they’d rather this than failed manifesto plans.

The Tories on the whole seem pretty hacked off that this hasn’t worked for them. 

I haven't watched QT in a while, so I won't comment on that.

Personally, I don't think the actual figure matters, it's more the perception that it's yet another commitment Labour are backpedalling on. That said, if they've managed to get public opinion going "fair enough, we'll wait for your manifesto" then that's a good thing. Still, I really wish I could believe Labour would stand up for things, instead of act scared of the media.

14 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Seriously?

This place really is turning into a left wing echo chamber.

Respect should be given to all.

I'm afraid when it comes to Tories, I'm of the much the same view as Jamie Webster.

And anyone who admits to voting for more of the same bollocks from them is of questionable character. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I did, that’ll teach me not to proof read posts.

early days...think you might be a bit over confident...the Tories can and will still attack them on borrowing loads but also that Labour doesn't have a plan and Starmer keeps flip flopping. 

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I haven't watched QT in a while, so I won't comment on that.

Personally, I don't think the actual figure matters, it's more the perception that it's yet another commitment Labour are backpedalling on. That said, if they've managed to get public opinion going "fair enough, we'll wait for your manifesto" then that's a good thing. Still, I really wish I could believe Labour would stand up for things, instead of act scared of the media.

Makes perfect sense to me.

https://x.com/rupertmyers/status/1755846686448959581?s=46

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

early days...think you might be a bit over confident...the Tories can and will still attack them on borrowing loads but also that Labour doesn't have a plan and Starmer keeps flip flopping. 

I don’t think so, looks like the public either weren’t that aware of the policy and/or thought it was too expensive.