SZA

gherkin8r

On 3/10/2024 at 7:21 AM, gherkin8r said:

For me Blur are on a list on their own. Coldplay 16 was most notable for the story I read on here of the wiped out guy at a camp fire communicating with Chris martin through his flashing wrist band.

That Blur gig remains the single greatest concert I've ever witnessed. There was magic in the air that night.

Am I the only one who didn't love that Beyonce gig? It was good, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't have put it in the same league as the others

5 hours ago, foolsgold1981 said:

That Blur gig remains the single greatest concert I've ever witnessed. There was magic in the air that night.

Am I the only one who didn't love that Beyonce gig? It was good, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't have put it in the same league as the others

Couldn't agree more on Blur. Still the best gig I've seen by a country mile. I enjoyed Beyonce but agree it wasn't amazing.

• Upvote 1

I think Beyonce maybe didn't hit quite right because arguably she's released most of her best work since she headlined? I feel like you could create a much more cohesive setlist now than back when it felt necessary to throw in Destiny's Child medleys.

10 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Huge Dublin show added to her tour. How will this tiny club act hold the Pyramid crowd's attention??? 😪

Playing Malahide Castle isn't as big a deal as you're probably thinking..

Last year, some of the acts to headline there included Paolo Nutini, Sting, and Hozier - and I assume none of those would be considered Pyramid Headline level.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

Last year, some of the acts to headline there included Paolo Nutini, Sting, and Hozier - and I assume none of those would be considered Pyramid Headline level.

its probably only nerdy places such as here which are making those comparisons.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Last year or two have also included Blur, Depeche Mode, The Killers, Sam Fender and Florence so it's clearly not not a big deal.

It’s a 20,000 capacity venue (so, think O2 London for comparison). Bigger names tend to sell it out instantly (though Coldplay sold out 4 nights at Croke Park instantly!). Typically there’s no crossover with pyramid headliners (The Cure in 2019 and Arctic Monkeys in 2007 are the only ones I can think of that played Malahide and then topped the bill at Glasto later in the week), but there is no pattern! 😁

• Upvote 1

I mean, she has the 8th most listened to album in the UK on Spotify this week, despite it being over a year old, and has been hanging around these charts consistently for months. Not to mention Kill Bill was absolutely huge on TikTok/Reels.

image.png.4fd49a355f144ba83dcb5d178d9b389e.png

49 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s a 20,000 capacity venue (so, think O2 London for comparison). Bigger names tend to sell it out instantly (though Coldplay sold out 4 nights at Croke Park instantly!). Typically there’s no crossover with pyramid headliners (The Cure in 2019 and Arctic Monkeys in 2007 are the only ones I can think of that played Malahide and then topped the bill at Glasto later in the week), but there is no pattern! 😁

Decent venue for a gig imo, needs more bars though.

4 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

I mean, she has the 8th most listened to album in the UK on Spotify this week, despite it being over a year old, and has been hanging around these charts consistently for months. Not to mention Kill Bill was absolutely huge on TikTok/Reels.

f**king hell that's a depressing list. It's all essentially just entertainment rather than music.

It has it's place but I wish it wasn't Glastonbury. The greatest festival in the world should strive to be better than that.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not at the top of the Pyramid- that's primarily about entertaining the people stood there. No-one's gonna get much kudos for devising a radical new form of free jazz in front of 100k people.

Like I said it's about balance, that example would obviously be too far the other way. Portishead, who headlined the other, were close to pure art and however utterly sublime that set was it wouldn't have worked the same on the Pyramid as headliner.

Imagine the history of Glastonbury if they stuck on whoever was at the top of the charts as headliner rather than factoring in artistic quality. Glastonbury wouldn't be what it is today if they did.

For Glastonbury headliners, artistic quality shouldn't be optional, it should be the central question.

Its always been a pop festival and has always taken its headline artists from the charts. The only examples when it didn't are real outliers from the 80s like Fela Kuti, who's the closest they’ve had to someone who didn't really trouble the mainstream.

That's not to say they don't also factor in artistic quality- over the years some havent had it (e.g. Kasabian, Ed Sheeran, Travis, Shakespeare's Sister etc), but luckily most of the acts have.  And it'll be the case if / when book the likes of O-Rod, Taylor or The Weeknd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Porcelina said:

Taking that list, why not O-Rod then? Higher placed, arguably more mainstream appeal, higher tempo tunes?

And the fact that Noah Kahn is 2 undermines your argument surely?

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Taking that list, why not O-Rod then? Higher placed, arguably more mainstream appeal, higher tempo tunes?

Assumption is that O-Rod *has* been asked and has declined for some reason - possibly to do it next year with a festival ready show 

1 hour ago, bobsacamano said:

f**king hell that's a depressing list. It's all essentially just entertainment rather than music.

It has it's place but I wish it wasn't Glastonbury. The greatest festival in the world should strive to be better than that.

eh? what an odd comment. the weeknd. taylor, orod, sza are not exactly bargain basement pop acts... yes its not chin scratching stuff but its still some very well written music that entertains and gets people music. it has both art and entertainment.

27 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I'd love her instead, I spent £125 for the GUTS tour at the O2. Hopefully 2025 instead.

Noah probably could do it. Imagine a sub headline slot would have been more likely if he was available though.

All I'm saying is this forum isn't necessarily hugely representative of where the puck is culturally in 2024. Feels like there's been a pretty big shift in the last 2-3 years - partly tiktok fuelled, partly Gen Z beginning to take the baton.

Edited by Porcelina