Jibbing?

LS-Charlton

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

For someone who isn't up to speed on this sort of thing, how would EPO wristbands stop people getting in? Don't fully understand what they do.

It logs when people enter or leave the site. You can’t re-enter if the system hasn’t scanned you leaving. 
Stops someone leaving with 6 wristbands in their pocket to sell on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tarw said:

It logs when people enter or leave the site. You can’t re-enter if the system hasn’t scanned you leaving. 

and there's no way of getting these wristbands reversed once left but not on wrists ? 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

For someone who isn't up to speed on this sort of thing, how would EPO wristbands stop people getting in? Don't fully understand what they do.

Stops all the wristband, pass out, ticket schemes. On the gates now you always have people who've "lost the pass out" or the photo is probably not them (but it's hard to tell). 

EPOs (which off site staff use) you scan a QR code and if it's not legit or someone's already in it makes a big error sound and says on the scanner "DO NOT LET THIS PERSON INTO THE FESTIVAL". 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and there's no way of getting these wristbands reversed once left but not on wrists ? 

If you could find some way of scanning the bands out then yes. But you'd need to have have help with it or nick/borrow a scanner - both of which would be harder to pull off undetected.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean you can do the same as people do now with real wristbands tbh. Just more people would be caught out by it and it'd be harder to sneak multiple in on the same trader tickets etc. 

You can get round it by scanning out on a mate's wristband, give the person outside that wristband, they get back in on it. Your wristband obviously won't scan but as you're legit you just go to the ticket office and plead your case because you weren't "scanned out properly". 

Would only work maybe once though. 

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Easy pass out (EPO) wristbands have a QR code on them that gets scanned when you leave the festival, and when you come back in again. 

Local tickets can be transferred "up to 5 times" so the photo on the ticket doesn't have to match the person using it. Without wanting to go in to specifics, there's a loophole at the moment whereby someone can go in to the festival on a local ticket, get a wristband, then remove the wristband when they are inside the festival, give both the wristband and the local ticket to someone to take out of the festival, who then changes the name on the back of the local ticket to someone (in exchange for say for £500), and gives them both the local ticket and smuggled out wristband to be used through a re-entry lane. There's another step involved but I don't want to post too much detail.

Basically this wouldn't be possible with the EPO wristband, as when the person gets their wristband scanned for re-entry, the system would say that wristband hadn't been scanned out (and therefore the person whose wristband it is should be in the festival). 

If there was a legitimate mistake the ticket office could sort it, but it would be obvious if the same wristband was being used multiple times. In a nutshell, it means the festival would know how many times an individual wristband has been used to exit/re-enter and would make the local ticket loophole and other re-entry blags extremely obvious. They would also be able to void individual wristbands for all gates from a control centre.

Edited by ProperTea

4 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Easy pass out (EPO) wristbands have a QR code on them that gets scanned when you leave the festival, and when you come back in again. 

Local tickets can be transferred "up to 5 times" so the photo on the ticket doesn't have to match the person using it. Without wanting to go in to specifics, there's a loophole at the moment whereby someone can go in to the festival on a local ticket, get a wristband, then remove the wristband when they are inside the festival, give both the wristband and the local ticket to someone to take out of the festival, who then changes the name on the back of the local ticket to someone (in exchange for say for £500), and gives them both the local ticket and smuggled out wristband to be used through a re-entry lane. There's another step involved but I don't want to post too much detail.

Basically this wouldn't be possible with the EPO wristband, as when the person gets their wristband scanned for re-entry, the system would say that wristband hadn't been scanned out (and therefore the person whose wristband it is should be in the festival). 

If there was a legitimate mistake the ticket office could sort it, but it would be obvious if the same wristband was being used multiple times. In a nutshell, it means the festival would know how many times an individual wristband has been used to exit/re-enter and would make the local ticket loophole and other re-entry blags extremely obvious.

Gotcha, cheers.

On 11/22/2023 at 2:44 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's odd that across the country the same word can mean the polar opposite.

Try down the M62. In Manchester it means to get in without paying.

Along which lines, my jibbing experience with football is pretty limited, but I know some that do and are very creative about it. The pass out system would get ripped apart by those lads, it’s so open to abuse. I’ve been surprised for a couple of years now that the festival hasn’t gone to QR codes on the gate. Pretty much everywhere else does that now. 

28 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Try down the M62. In Manchester it means to get in without paying.

Along which lines, my jibbing experience with football is pretty limited, but I know some that do and are very creative about it. The pass out system would get ripped apart by those lads, it’s so open to abuse. I’ve been surprised for a couple of years now that the festival hasn’t gone to QR codes on the gate. Pretty much everywhere else does that now. 

Yeah I always had it down as getting in without paying.

Liverpool and United fans the absolute worse for such behaviour, whenever they were at West Brom you'd often get people trying to follow you into the turnstiles and on more than one occasion there'd be a Manc or Scouser in my seat when I got in.

• Downvote 4

On 11/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, jow95 said:

I mean there absolutely is, it's just hard. 

spoke to several people last year and even more the year before who had to "keep their wrists covered" all weekend.

follow the scousers

If you're going in that way the bare minimum you should do is cover your wrist in a load of other wristbands to merge in.

4 hours ago, tarw said:

The system isnt perfect though and I think you had like 3 chances at not being logged In/Out because the system wouldnt always work. That was in 2019 though so maybe the system has improved.

Edited by gazzared

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Agh, that answers my query, in that there are IT savvy people who send in bots, I should have known that there would be, I guess. Just hadn't heard about that kind of angle for many a year.

Sadly it seems to be getting worse with the demand. 

I didn't get a ticket this time, though i would be strongly against a lottery system 

2 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Sadly it seems to be getting worse with the demand. 

I didn't get a ticket this time, though i would be strongly against a lottery system 

What would be wrong with an external (free from intervention) lottery system? Surely it'd be the same thing as pressing F5 is meant to achieve? I haven't thought this through, so am willing to be enlightened. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What would be wrong with an external (free from intervention) lottery system? Surely it'd be the same thing as pressing F5 is meant to achieve? I haven't thought this through, so am willing to be enlightened. 

It is effectively a lottery already, although one that can be manipulated by IT trickery and a slight staking of the odds using the group thingy.

I don't have an opinion on which is best.

15 minutes ago, gazzared said:

The system isnt perfect though and I think you had like 3 chances at not being logged In/Out because the system wouldnt always work. That was in 2019 though so maybe the system has improved.

There’s no 3 chances now - it you’re not scanned out it needs to get reset by whoever issued it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProperTea said:

If there was a legitimate mistake the ticket office could sort it, but it would be obvious if the same wristband was being used multiple times. In a nutshell, it means the festival would know how many times an individual wristband has been used to exit/re-enter and would make the local ticket loophole and other re-entry blags extremely obvious. They would also be able to void individual wristbands for all gates from a control centre.

There's also a farm in the middle of the site and anyone driving into the site to it doesn't need a ticket, you're not even allowed to stop the vehicle.

19 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

By lots of people, you mean syndicates, bots and people manipulating See tickets website?

The people trying in groups of 1-6 are left with scraps and a very low probability of success.

Basically it has become a lottery system by the nature of people in massive syndicates.  

Syndicates have been buying tickets since he early 2000s, so I’m not sure why you’re getting your knickers in a twist about it now. Maybe get more friends if it bothers you so much.

People manipulating See’s website has been happening since 2012. And you’ve got absolutely no evidence of how many tickets were purchased this way this year. It’s almost certainly much less than you think.

neither justify being a twat and jibbing in for free. And frankly, the less bitter twats we have in, the better it will be for the rest of us there.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The current system rewards perseverance - if you make it a lottery you’re gonna get loads more people giving it a shot on the off chance.  Like the knobs who were complaining to Emily, Glastonbury and See on Twitter that they couldn’t get tickets and it was unfair, 25 mins into the sale when they could/should have still be trying like the unentitled people we all want at the festival.

also, I just don’t buy it being a problem. Since 2000 I’ve only not got tickets twice in the initial sale - once I got resale, once volunteered - so I’ve never not got in. I can’t be just lucky. Some organisation and perseverance is all you need

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Syndicates have been buying tickets since he early 2000s, so I’m not sure why you’re getting your knickers in a twist about it now. Maybe get more friends if it bothers you so much.

People manipulating See’s website has been happening since 2012. And you’ve got absolutely no evidence of how many tickets were purchased this way this year. It’s almost certainly much less than you think.

neither justify being a twat and jibbing in for free. And frankly, the less bitter twats we have in, the better it will be for the rest of us there.

This was the first year I don’t know anyone who didn’t get tickets, the manipulation of the website was resolved for years and all of a sudden it’s working again. I saw people claiming they managed to get tickets for parties of 6 on more than 5 occasions in the sale. 

The only miserable twat here is you. Anyone “jibbing” will still be paying someone to help them in, it isn’t about not paying, 99% of people who do would pay if a ticket was readily available. 

• Upvote 1

For all the reasons already mentioned, please don’t go without a ticket. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should etc etc.

I know it’s disappointing when we don’t get a ticket. I have got tickets for next year, but it will be my first time back since 2019.  We went to other festivals (Latitude, Mad Cool, End of the Road and Isle of Wight) on the years we missed out and still had lots of fun.
Also there is the ticket resales and support available on efestivals for that.

In summary - go and have fun somewhere else and hopefully see you back on the farm in 2025 (unless I don’t get a ticket that year and I will go off somewhere else instead)

Edited by Mr Boo
Basically edited because I’m old and don’t understand all jib related terminology
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

The current system rewards perseverance - if you make it a lottery you’re gonna get loads more people giving it a shot on the off chance.  Like the knobs who were complaining to Emily, Glastonbury and See on Twitter that they couldn’t get tickets and it was unfair, 25 mins into the sale when they could/should have still be trying like the unentitled people we all want at the festival.

also, I just don’t buy it being a problem. Since 2000 I’ve only not got tickets twice in the initial sale - once I got resale, once volunteered - so I’ve never not got in. I can’t be just lucky. Some organisation and perseverance is all you need

And the problem with having a lot of ticketholders who go there by chance, is that you'd then have tens of thousands of the hardcore crew, the ones usually rewarded for their perseverance, that used to go every year, trying to break in. So the problem of jibbing would intensify massively in the event of a lottery system, I reckon.