Sale Date Change

CaledonianGonzo

6 hours ago, incident said:

Ohh, 100%. The wording was poor. The information provided was poor. The process was overcomplicated.

That part is definitely all on See.

probably needed a database manager for GFL who fully understood everything about it - the guy who was responsible for the database and ticketing robert richards - passed away a couple of years ago. i doubt this would have happened if he was still around, cos ghe was properly on top of everything.

Databases need software and hardware updates all the time.

Maybe they had to upgrade the version number of the off the shelf Data pipeline platform or API gateway that feeds the DB cos the version it was on was falling out of support.

All it takes is a bug making it through test unnoticed and - boom - data loss is the result.

Obviously the timing sucks and someone somewhere is getting their arse handed to them for it - and right now there's probably a team of folk working all weekend to fix it before Monday.

23 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Defo f'ed up the Oracle 11g update for encryption at rest.

an old mate of mine who posts here now and then used to be a big cheese at oracle in the usa, he took me to their head office which - 30 years ago  -  had a  facial recognition entry system, i was impressed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, incident said:

Yep. Amongst our 170+ group - we hand held people to make sure they stepped through the process *exactly*, with a shitload of work going into it. As a result, none of them got deleted.

Obviously it shouldn't have been that difficult. But still not a database error though I understand why people want to blame that.

@incident if you're so confident that it was user error, can you tell me why i got this email? And why my account was still there when I looked up it up on numerous occasions after receiving it?

Screenshot_20231104_113733_Gmail.thumb.jpg.bd24cbf2b8ce38144a48c2deeefdee27.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Incredible isn't it?

Mr Zig foaming at the mouth yesterday about being under the sea and missing the sale has managed to miraculously book the time off less than 24 hours later.

Embarrassing levels of entitlement on display yesterday, hope people can see it now they've had time to get some perspective.

Time off not approved yet. Lucky there were slots left or I'd be f**ked. Not entitled but as stated before, cross at the short notice inconvenience after I had planned months ahead.

You really are an arse of a troll.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

@incident if you're so confident that it was user error, can you tell me why i got this email? And why my account was still there when I looked up it up on numerous occasions after receiving it?

Screenshot_20231104_113733_Gmail.thumb.jpg.bd24cbf2b8ce38144a48c2deeefdee27.jpg

With only partial information, no of course I can't.

Relax. I'm not claiming it's your fault, or even "user error". I said before that See are at fault for making the process needlessly complicated and leaving it open to failure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, incident said:

Relax. I'm not claiming it's your fault, or even "user error". I said before that See are at fault for making the process needlessly complicated and leaving it open to failure.

It's not partial information, I explained my entire experience (which others have also had) in an earlier reply to you.

You implied previously that is wasn't a technical problem and only conceeded that See made the process opaque and messy. However, you've also incorrectly assumed the below which unfairly casts doubt over the validity or truth surrounding the experiences plenty of people have documented -

1. People not understanding / following the reconfirmation process all the way to the end.
2. Confusion caused by people having (old) registrations they'd forgotten about (often on alternate email aliases that still end up in their usual inbox)

Edited by TheDayman

Just now, TheDayman said:

It's not partial information, I explained my entire experience (which others have also had) in an earlier reply to you.

You implied previously that is wasn't a technical problem and only conceeded that See made the process opaque and messy. However, you've also incorrectly assumed the below which unfairly casts doubt over the validity or truth surrounding the experiences plenty of people have documented -

1. People not understanding / following the reconfirmation process all the way to the end.
2. Confusion caused by people having (old) registrations they'd forgotten about (often on alternate email aliases that still end up in their usual inbox)

If those points come across as apportioning blame, then I apologise for that. That wasn't my intention.

I don't believe that I've ever suggested or in any way implied that peoples experiences are untrue or invalid, and I don't believe that the points about imply otherwise.

What I have said and will stand by is that (in my view) the subsequent assumption that the cause is down to database corruption is wrong. I've read everything, and still think all of this is process related - and as before I'm 100% blaming See for that.

However, if they do have corruption issues on a database of this size (with at this point millions of records) - then there's a very high chance that they won't make the scheduled reopening on Monday (and may be better off starting clean) - if they do miss that deadline, then I'll happily admit I've got this very wrong as that definitely would indicate a database issue.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Time off not approved yet. Lucky there were slots left or I'd be f**ked. Not entitled but as stated before, cross at the short notice inconvenience after I had planned months ahead.

You really are an arse of a troll.

Not a troll just calling out the ridiculous comments on here yesterday based entirely on people considering their inconvenience worse than those who would have been blocked from trying for tickets.

It's a sh*t show, but clearly it's the right decision. Why they didn't just push it back to January is anyone's guess, maybe they need the deposit money in by a certain date for liquidity 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

It looks like @TheDaymanhas given full information, in my opinion. An email stating your registration has been updated should be clear enough. 

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Not a troll just calling out the ridiculous comments on here yesterday based entirely on people considering their inconvenience worse than those who would have been blocked from trying for tickets.

It's a sh*t show, but clearly it's the right decision. Why they didn't just push it back to January is anyone's guess, maybe they need the deposit money in by a certain date for liquidity 

It's not just inconvenience, the fact is some of us who have made arrangements to try on the advertised ticket day will now miss out on tickets because our chances of success will be greatly limited due to the change in circumstances, why you fail to understand that people on a Glastonbury forum would be upset by this is baffling. It is perfectly possible to believe it was the right call to change the date and still be pissed off by the whole situation.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's not just inconvenience, the fact is some of us who have made arrangements to try on the advertised ticket day will now miss out on tickets because our chances of success will be greatly limited due to the change in circumstances, why you fail to understand that people on a Glastonbury forum would be upset by this is baffling. It is perfectly possible to believe it was the right call to change the date and still be pissed off by the whole situation.

I just find it funny, chances of getting a ticket are slim anyway why get upset about it.

As I've said, I'm delighted anyway because one of our group who wasn't registered can now register. On the flip side I'll be trying from a US airport at about 4am on my phone, so less than ideal scenario but it's all luck anyway.

All in all I suspect more people benefit from this change than lose out, so a positive development 

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I just find it funny, chances of getting a ticket are slim anyway why get upset about it.

As I've said, I'm delighted anyway because one of our group who wasn't registered can now register. On the flip side I'll be trying from a US airport at about 4am on my phone, so less than ideal scenario but it's all luck anyway.

All in all I suspect more people benefit from this change than lose out, so a positive development 

The chances of getting a ticket are far higher if you are organised and on a fast internet connection, if it was just down to luck there wouldn't be countless threads on here discussing ways to improve your chances of getting a ticket, the fact that so many efesters manage to get tickets proves your statements wrong.

"I'm delighted anyway", good for you, now maybe you can keep your delight to yourself and stop criticizing others.

33 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The chances of getting a ticket are far higher if you are organised and on a fast internet connection, if it was just down to luck there wouldn't be countless threads on here discussing ways to improve your chances of getting a ticket, the fact that so many efesters manage to get tickets proves your statements wrong.

The only thing that improves your chances are the number of people trying for you. Simple as that. efesters organise large buying blocks and that works in their favour. 

Most people are just trying as a couple or small group of friends so have much lower chances of success 

I've only skimmed through the thread as I've seen the arguments elsewhere. Seems to me Glastonbury have gone for the option that would get them less sh*t.

I get that this is a pain in the arse for people who have arrangements around both the original and new dates. I also get that it would be incredibly unfair on people who had checked their details only for them now to be gone. 

This could have been made a lot easier if Glastonbury/See had been more honest in what was going on. It was clear from the multiple reminders on social media and emails that something was wrong. It was also clear from the fact they were responding to people and offering help on Twitter (something they very rarely do) that they knew there was a problem days before the resale.

Those reminders should have said something like "We are aware some registrations have been deleted in error. Make sure you check yours is still valid." The people who left it until after registration had closed would have checked sooner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Those reminders should have said something like "We are aware some registrations have been deleted in error. Make sure you check yours is still valid." The people who left it until after registration had closed would have checked sooner.

If they've deleted the registrations though, would they have any way of contacting those people? 

By default the reminder would only go to those still registered with the festival 

14 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

If they've deleted the registrations though, would they have any way of contacting those people? 

By default the reminder would only go to those still registered with the festival 

I was thinking more the social media reminders rather than email but you have a point. 

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I was thinking more the social media reminders rather than email but you have a point. 

Fair point, I would say personally I don't really follow the festival socials so don't think it's a fair way to alert people that they may not be registered.

I didn't check once I had the email confirmation, and shouldn't have had to either. They've clearly messed up and needed to address the incorrectly deleted registrations.

I’m sure the Mail story is just them rehashing forum talk, probably from here, into a story (this one: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12710391/Madonna-Dua-Lipa-Coldplay-headline-Glastonbury-year-two-female-artists-festival-bill-time-ever.html)

However if I were a conspiracy theorist, I’d think this story popping up just after the sale delay and the sudden reopening of registrations were connected and there was some concern about how many active registrations there were after the numbers were counted on Thursday…

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Really messes them up with headliner announcements having sale delayed … if the headliner talk becomes mainstream what do they do ? Stated on headliner thread Emily has said they won’t announce these before ticket sale but they might well have too 

I have been thinking about this as well. It’s not just a two week delay when you look at the longer term picture, it will be six weeks later than the early October date that was standard for so long. That has to mess with a range of logistics for them.

1 minute ago, Mark H said:

I have been thinking about this as well. It’s not just a two week delay when you look at the longer term picture, it will be six weeks later than the early October date that was standard for so long. That has to mess with a range of logistics for them.

Well I presume now the early October date has been consigned to the history books … but it does squeeze them time wise as I’m sure we’ve had announcements by now in the past . 

54 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Really messes them up with headliner announcements having sale delayed … if the headliner talk becomes mainstream what do they do ? Stated on headliner thread Emily has said they won’t announce these before ticket sale but they might well have too 

If they announce Madonna or give a good hint that she's playing before the new registration cut-off date, it'll make the initial sale a damn sight harder. They're better off saying nothing until after T-Day2.0. Unless of course, they want to drum up even more interest...

I know they're pressing on with other matters, like guest pass allocations for staff, etc.

Hopefully the delay doesn't change any other plans, maybe it just compresses the programme a bit. 

Like many unwanted events in IT its conceivable that the issue was a combination of events at the same time - misunderstood reg verification process and a bodged data cleansing operation (I too doubt it was corruption - more likely the maintenance query executed to identify then drop the seemingly dead records was too 'inspecific' shall we say).