2024 headline speculation

airwaves

23 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

A diverse festival musically makes it so much more interesting 

I agree. This year had some metal but it's not download, it had rap but it's not wireless or parklife or whatever. I'm pretty open to headliners being anyone good from whatever genre!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wolfamongwolves said:

A diverse festival musically makes it so much more interesting 

Especially as most people's opinion on this year's bill seems to have been "headliners are a letdown but there's great strength in depth", and that depth was wider spread than ever. As I said earlier somewhere on this forum, how far that genre experimentation can spread across the bill is going to be one of the most fascinating things about EOTRs to come.

Also, Four Tet wouldn't do a DJ set.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

They didn't really do rapper headliners too until they booked Little Simz.

Was at Green Man and crowd really enjoyed Four Tet when they headlined in '19. And the audience they are catering to is very similar. Don't see why it couldn't happen.

Oh, im not saying they shouldnt go for that genre, but someone like four tet or bicep are probably a bit outside of their pay offers, and i dont think their core audience would respond in a positive way

Someone like caribou maybe?

My favourite thing about EotR has always been that you see acts, including headliners, that you don't see at other festivals. I'm glad we've diversified from White Men With Guitars, but I fear that the further down the DJ/Rap/Techno route we go the more it becomes like every other festival. Cue an increase in sparkly jackets, fairy wings, talkers and hen dos. I'm being over-dramatic, I know.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

My favourite thing about EotR has always been that you see acts, including headliners, that you don't see at other festivals. I'm glad we've diversified from White Men With Guitars, but I fear that the further down the DJ/Rap/Techno route we go the more it becomes like every other festival. Cue an increase in sparkly jackets, fairy wings, talkers and hen dos. I'm being over-dramatic, I know.

They're not booking Megan Thee Stallion and Skrillex.

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, domjon said:

I find myself listening to that Julie Byrne album a lot... wouldn't mind her coming back... although seem to remember she got terrible reviews last time

Watching her in Manchester in November. Album one of my favourites of the year.

In similar vein the Haley Blais record is a gem (as was the debut), also here in a month's time.

• Upvote 1

I saw PJ Harvey in Manchester last night and absolutely think that she could be an incredible headliner. The first half of the show (a pretty theatrical take on the new album) could be a bit of a challenge in a festival setting, but the second half would form the basis of a banging headline set. 

10 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I saw PJ Harvey in Manchester last night and absolutely think that she could be an incredible headliner. The first half of the show (a pretty theatrical take on the new album) could be a bit of a challenge in a festival setting, but the second half would form the basis of a banging headline set. 

With the US tour planned for September 2024, it seems likely she will play a few UK festival dates next year. My bet is End of the Road, Green Man or Connect. I doubt she would play APE at this stage.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:02 PM, Hooskerdoo said:

Yep. Another possibility is that they play Green Man the weekend before. Or neither. 

End of the Road for sure.

They were initially booked in 2020 and Buck curiously played Green Man when they were struggling to get a headliner but didn't bring the whole band. Theory is that they've committed to EOTR next time they're around in that time. Can't see them doing Green Man until they've done EOTR first.

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I don't really know their size for festivals so it could be a stupid suggestion but The The?

https://www.thethe.com/ensouled-world-tour-2024/

Would love that...dates are close enough for it to be a possible too. Pretty sure I've heard a few tracks 'between the music' at EOTR too, which we know Simon personally curates. Thursday headliner would do me just fine.

Somehow doesn't quite feel like an eotr type booking though does it

16 hours ago, Ira said:

New dirty three album coming, wish they play next year

Interesting! I assume Bad Seeds will have priority, so if Bad Seeds are touring in the summer, probably no chance of Dirty Three. Dirty Three haven't played in London since ~2012 so I would expect maybe just one or two one-off shows at the Barbican, Village Underground or similar.