Green Man 2024

bexj

24 minutes ago, modefan said:

Does The Smile being at Lowlands make them more or less likely to do GM?

GM shared First Aid Kit and Amyl & the Sniffers with Lowlands last year. It mainly verifies they're playing shows in Europe that weekend, which can only be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Great band with decades worth of quality material. Well respected live act touring one of their strongest albums in recent years. Sure I'd hate if they were added.

For me, it's more that they've just shown up at a lot of festivals I've done over the last few years, usually in smaller slots. However at Green Man, I imagine they'd be given a bigger slot and I'd rather that go to someone else. I love their studio material but have never been able to click with the jam like nature of their live sets. 

1 hour ago, modefan said:

Does The Smile being at Lowlands make them more or less likely to do GM?

Dunno. But Fontaines not being on the Lowlands line up increases their chances of being at GM

Edited by DDave

2 minutes ago, OddRon said:

How many years do we reckon before a headliner could potentially repeat at Green Man? 

It’s happened a few times over the years.  Usually a pretty sizeable gap between repeats (maybe at least 7 years?). From memory I think it’s Fleet Foxes, Super Fury Animals and Joanna Newsom but I think there might be one more.  Spiritualised have headlined twice if you count their Thursday slot last year as a headline slot.

A slight curveball shout for this year is Sampha.  Reckon he could be quite a cool headliner for this and has popped up now on a few EU festival lines ups in August.  Not a massive fan myself but would make for a more interesting choice than some other potential candidates.  

My view is that The Smile and Jesus & Mary Chain are two of the headliners.  Seem to be a few options for the other two but hopefully there’s a surprise round the corner as well.

Not sure about Justice at GM tbh, doesn’t quite feel right to me style wise.  The other electronic headliners are much more live band focused (Caribou/Hot Chip) except for Four Tet, but he’s had a long history at the festival having played some of the very earliest GMs. Headliner of Field Day also makes them arguably too big.  Would be cool though. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

It’s happened a few times over the years.  Usually a pretty sizeable gap between repeats (maybe at least 7 years?). From memory I think it’s Fleet Foxes, Super Fury Animals and Joanna Newsom but I think there might be one more.  Spiritualised have headlined twice if you count their Thursday slot last year as a headline slot.

A slight curveball shout for this year is Sampha.  Reckon he could be quite a cool headliner for this and has popped up now on a few EU festival lines ups in August.  Not a massive fan myself but would make for a more interesting choice than some other potential candidates.  

My view is that The Smile and Jesus & Mary Chain are two of the headliners.  Seem to be a few options for the other two but hopefully there’s a surprise round the corner as well.

Not sure about Justice at GM tbh, doesn’t quite feel right to me style wise.  The other electronic headliners are much more live band focused (Caribou/Hot Chip) except for Four Tet, but he’s had a long history at the festival having played some of the very earliest GMs. Headliner of Field Day also makes them arguably too big.  Would be cool though. 

With you on both Sampha being a good fit and Justice less so, but do you think The JAMC are really headline material? They’re atrocious live these days, and don’t know that all that many at GM would be overly bothered about them. Maybe Thursday? Maybe I’m a way off with this opinion! 

23 minutes ago, stereodista said:

With you on both Sampha being a good fit and Justice less so, but do you think The JAMC are really headline material? They’re atrocious live these days, and don’t know that all that many at GM would be overly bothered about them. Maybe Thursday? Maybe I’m a way off with this opinion! 

My guess is JAMC for Thursday headliner yeah.  I’ve not seen them and nor am I particularly a huge fan, but definitely think GM would get them for Thursday headliner if they’re about.  They’ve never played the festival and very on brand for the sorts of more heritage act they often book for Thursday (e.g. Ride and Spiritualized). 

Based on who is touring around the festival, the biggest "wants" for me are The Smile and Phoenix.

Would love Fontaines but probably too soon since the last headline slot and I'm not sure if they've fallen in stock since then. It felt like they had a lot of publicity and momentum behind those first two albums. I wonder if they'll end up playing in a non-headline slot in a few years.

18 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Would love Fontaines but probably too soon since the last headline slot and I'm not sure if they've fallen in stock since then. It felt like they had a lot of publicity and momentum behind those first two albums. I wonder if they'll end up playing in a non-headline slot in a few years.

Fontaines are still a very big deal, they've faded slightly now because of time away and Grian's solo album last year. There's a whisper that they won't be doing any UK festivals this year regardless.

Second self-confirmation is in, Fabiana Palladino

Edited by SweepingTheNation

Not sure if the Cardiff Castle show reduces the chances of them but Idles being at Lowlands, new album out and natural progression from headlining the Far Out stage in 2019 could all point towards them headlining perhaps. 

Feel like the top of the lineup could end up being quite male-dominated though if this is the case, unless they've got PJ Harvey or Sleater Kinney. 

I prefer it not to be Jesus and The Mary Chain(don't dislike them, just seen before and didn't think they were anything amazing). Metronomy were the perfect start to the festival in 2022 for me.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

My guess is JAMC for Thursday headliner yeah.  I’ve not seen them and nor am I particularly a huge fan, but definitely think GM would get them for Thursday headliner if they’re about.  They’ve never played the festival and very on brand for the sorts of more heritage act they often book for Thursday (e.g. Ride and Spiritualized). 

Yeah, with you there. 

30 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Not sure if the Cardiff Castle show reduces the chances of them but Idles being at Lowlands, new album out and natural progression from headlining the Far Out stage in 2019 could all point towards them headlining perhaps. 

Feel like the top of the lineup could end up being quite male-dominated though if this is the case, unless they've got PJ Harvey or Sleater Kinney. 

I prefer it not to be Jesus and The Mary Chain(don't dislike them, just seen before and didn't think they were anything amazing). Metronomy were the perfect start to the festival in 2022 for me.

I think Cardiff Castle rules them out the first wave tbh and headlining.

1 hour ago, johhnnyyb said:

When do we reckon the lineup will drop? 1st March last year, 10th feb 2022

Screenshot_20240131-161404.thumb.png.9aaebf7e17b46d35ca79c588e9e1e009.png

I reckon they'll hold out until St. David's Day again.

2nd June felt a bit of a piss take for the second wave of bands last year. I hope they don't drag it out that long again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sebwax said:

I reckon they'll hold out until St. David's Day again.

2nd June felt a bit of a piss take for the second wave of bands last year. I hope they don't drag it out that long again. 

They fairly evidently had issues with the Saturday headliner last year, there were rumours a band who were in Europe the following weekend were booked but decided to cut the first week off their tour. It is however interesting that End Of The Road, which for the last six or seven years has had its first announcement at or towards the end of January, hasn't even given us a date yet.

Just now, SighMo said:

The Decembrists feel like a great fit for GM or EOTR. Looks like they’re only down for APE atm. 

There was some hint about or reference to The Decemberists in EOTR’s socials I think when last year’s line up ended so they were kinda rumoured to be doing EOTR 2024 from then, but them being added to APE makes it much more likely I think.  Could be a fairly big act for EOTR - maybe a Thursday headliner or Garden headliner. 

19 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

There was some hint about or reference to The Decemberists in EOTR’s socials I think when last year’s line up ended so they were kinda rumoured to be doing EOTR 2024 from then, but them being added to APE makes it much more likely I think.  Could be a fairly big act for EOTR - maybe a Thursday headliner or Garden headliner. 

We do both festivals and I’d love to see them at either. I do think the Garden Stage at EOTR would be perfect though.