Have child wagons got too big/ popular?

Old_Johno

I've taken huge (home made) pram contraptions, small off road buggies, ruck sacks - I nearly copied the family with a bath, but my car was too small at the time

size isn't the issue, it's how you handle it, drive and where you park it that matters

if you are going to act selfish and not care, you'll piss someone off - buggy/ chairs/ rucksack (I hate how ppl act with those) or not

We hired one half way through Camp Bestival this year out of desperation when one of our kids flat out refused to walk anymore on Saturday morning.  We stayed at the back on the main stage and kept it out of the way at the smaller stages so hopefully we weren’t in anyone’s way.  They slept in it while we watched the headliners on the Saturday night.  And it made packing the car on Sunday a lot easier! 

I don’t think we’d buy one as generally I think they should be able to cope with walking around a smaller festival now.. but the experience at CB this year has confirmed for me that they are in no way ready for the distances involved at Glastonbury, so that’s off the cards for a few years yet. 

I only read the first few posts on here, sorry about that, but quite busy. 

My view. My children are 27 and 30. They've likely been to to more Glastonbury Festivals than most reading this. 

We had an old tin bath mounted on a vintage Silvercross pram frame back in the day. It had a foam mattress in it and bowed hazel poles covered in tarp for a roof. It was a mobile living room/bedroom. We went out as a family and partied for as long as we liked. The children absolutely loved it. They never came to any harm. They still remember it, some of their earliest memories. They still thank us for it. They are both upstanding members of society, have very good careers (trumped their old dad on that one!) and love nothing better than larging it up at Glastonbury among others with me. 

This is my personal experience and in retrospect I wouldn't have done anything differently. 

• Upvote 1

The main problem is the number of them. When I first went to glasto 1986 there weren't so many kids there as now, and people were a bit less precious about their kid at a festival.

16 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Sorry, but that sounds like you don't like it because it inconveniences you..... 

not that bothered and happily took my kid (without a trolly).

21 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Sorry, but that sounds like you don't like it because it inconveniences you..... 

I was just trying to say that i think people's irritation with them is not because of any particular action but because of them being unavoidable cos there's so many of them.

Edited by Neil

They never bother me unless they turn into a private camping areas, with blankets and chairs in the middle of an audience.

I have to say I saw someone keeping a toddler around with one of those leash harness things this year and although those things seem wrong, I can totally understand using that at the fest 😅

15 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Id love the project of doing the lights for one ... think you could make them look incredible and remove any issues with people not being able to see them in the dark 

I'm planning creating something from a garden trolley for my and a friends daughters for next summer...

Only doing Valley Fest which is tiny.  Took pram this year but figured it would be easier to have one contraption for the two kids next year, 

3 hours ago, moogster said:

I have to say I saw someone keeping a toddler around with one of those leash harness things this year and although those things seem wrong, I can totally understand using that at the fest 😅

It's extremely easy to lose a little kid at Glastonbury. Been there, done that, in the crowds between the Other Stage and Silver Hayes. He was a bit older than a toddler (5 or 6 I think), and luckily we found him after a few minutes, but it was a looong few minutes.

25 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

lets ban kids every other year.

the kid free year turn the kids field in to a drum and bass hedonistic dream , green peace kids can be one massive den of inequity 

I suggest a 3 year rota of dance music, meat and kids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

It's extremely easy to lose a little kid at Glastonbury. Been there, done that, in the crowds between the Other Stage and Silver Hayes. He was a bit older than a toddler (5 or 6 I think), and luckily we found him after a few minutes, but it was a looong few minutes.

It’s easy enough to lose mates let alone kids 

3 hours ago, Cheesey said:

that's why one of those backpack carriers is so fantastic, you won't lose the kid, takes all that worry away.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

that's why one of those backpack carriers is so fantastic, you won't lose the kid, takes all that worry away.

until you have to go through deep thick concrete type mud - then you get stuck and have to hope everyone helps you out without yourself falling over. The change in your centre of gravity makes things a lot worse in mud

This has happend multiple times to me, and luckly there was very helpful and strong people around (I'm not dainty either, I do far amount wieghts and I'm 1.8mtall and 90+kg )

Edited by bob323

2 hours ago, plaskins said:

Maybe they are just more noticeable as more young kids are going these days? Probably due to cost of tickets 😅

I guess 'free' helps but it never came into my thinking with my son.its just such a lovely place to spend time together and have a colourful and dynamic experience.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've run out of upvotes.

That is spectacular. Where there's a will, there's a way.

That reminds me of Vietnam. I couldn't believe my eyes on the road from the airport into Hanoi. Some of the loads on motorbikes were 'amazing'. 

This sort of thing is not an uncommon sight in SE Asia.

main-qimg-bd11077ab6309a7bdce887c2234624

man-sleeping-on-his-motorcycle-selling-b

1020589.jpg

Edited by bamber

10 minutes ago, bamber said:

This sort of thing is not an uncommon sight in SE Asia.

main-qimg-bd11077ab6309a7bdce887c2234624

man-sleeping-on-his-motorcycle-selling-b

1020589.jpg

Certainly is. I was actually a little scared when I was on the road to Hanoi. It was my first trip to the Far East, and the whole difference from my norm, blew my mind a little. Fortunately I was travelling with two friends who are extensively travelled. They appeared to be calm, so I kind of realised that it was OK to be calm.