The Annual EOTR Weather Forecast/Predictions (2023 edition)

RedRockRick

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Yeah, I keep reloading Met Office's rain chart and scrolling forward to 1pm Thurs - it's not actually updated in the last few hours so I'm starting to learn the pattern.  Currently all I know is that I want to get stuff in the car on Wednesday evening or I'll get wet doing it on Thursday morning...

Another upgrade from the MO. Really just a bit of a shitstorm Thursday morning now for a few hours.

image.png.6ca8319b31b3c7b19ab99730884bf9f5.png

I was thinking of going down Friday now at the crack of dawn rather than Thursday or if we do go Thursday aim for after 5pm  and staying in quiet camping. Does anyone know if that fills up normally -and what are folks views on the weather microclimate of EOTR there and the ability of the land to shake it off and how far is it from the car park to quiet camping. Cheers fingers crossed for a better forecast and besides after Thursday is looking pretty good for the rest of the weekend.

Our mob is resigned to going on Friday early now. Sad to miss Wilco, but in the grand scheme of the weekend we won't miss too many bands. Going to stay over on Sunday night for the first time to make up for it.

Edited by paulwa
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Let's go with Ventusky. Barely any rain. Storms missing the site completely. 

20230830_100848.thumb.gif.2d2c4e2db58d0a76ec8e805c0025ecc6.gif

I'll buy that and any bridges you might have up for sale.... resigned to going Thursday now in the grim and bear it style but with full disaster weather kit - just in case. Don't want to miss The Dinner Party !

I just saw a suggestion by someone on Facebook that they should open the Big Top on Thursday if the weather is as bad as forecast, and put Wilco etc on in there. Someone else commented that they had done this before. Is this true? I've been most years, but missed a few and don't remember that ever happening. Might help though.

4 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

I just saw a suggestion by someone on Facebook that they should open the Big Top on Thursday if the weather is as bad as forecast, and put Wilco etc on in there. Someone else commented that they had done this before. Is this true? I've been most years, but missed a few and don't remember that ever happening. Might help though.

Pretty sure that's never happened 

So, after attending the last 15 EOTR festivals, I won't be there this year. I'm starting to regret it now, but financially it would have been a struggle.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I hope you all have an amazing weekend - I know you will regardless of the weather. Any newbies on here - you're in for a treat!

Hope to see you all next year.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

So, after attending the last 15 EOTR festivals, I won't be there this year. I'm starting to regret it now, but financially it would have been a struggle.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I hope you all have an amazing weekend - I know you will regardless of the weather. Any newbies on here - you're in for a treat!

Thoughts with you pal. People have slightly parasocial relationships with festivals, but the truth is life is bloody hard right now and as great as a weekend in this particular field is, you gotta keep eyes on the big prize - life

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Nice words mate. Hope things are better for you next year and you make a return 🙌🏻

• Thanks 1

According to weather forecast on BBC Breakfast it's looking like wall to wall rain until early afternoon but a possible non-rain window for an hour or two around 1ish to 3ish

Afternoon / evening looking rainy for Wilco

The weekend itself looks good though

Edited by airwaves
New info

On 8/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, ibilly99 said:

I was thinking of going down Friday now at the crack of dawn rather than Thursday or if we do go Thursday aim for after 5pm  and staying in quiet camping. Does anyone know if that fills up normally -and what are folks views on the weather microclimate of EOTR there and the ability of the land to shake it off and how far is it from the car park to quiet camping. Cheers fingers crossed for a better forecast and besides after Thursday is looking pretty good for the rest of the weekend.

There’ll be plenty of room. You might want to think about family camping - not restricted to those with kids, generally v quiet and spacious, and the closest section to the car park. Done it for 10 years. 

Ground is chalky/flinty so most water runs right off. It won’t get muddy (except possibly at footfall bottlenecks).

Enjoy!

Thursday very unpleasant, trolley wheels kept snagging on wet grass and locking, so rather than do the usual multiple treks from car park to quiet camping I went immediately right from wristband exchange to far end of family camping. Grass hadn’t been cut and obviously very wet. Miserable, lots of mud along tracks and bottlenecks. Rain stopped pm and hasn’t returned. Site has dried out nicely and all good so far.

23 hours ago, domjon said:

Dream weather considering what we were expecting. Touch too hot for me Sunday if anything but I'll take that every time. Thursday rain was no problem really, site held up well

Yep, totally agree. Great weather all three times I've been, not sure how I've managed it!

I had two decent size tents to put up as my mate has just had a foot operation so he waited in the car. 

knew I'd get wet so put on proper wet weather gear and just went for it. Didn't take that long; we camp just past the wristband tent on the right (Radiohead flag) so close to the car. I'd forgotten all about the rain by the evening.

Did Glasto, GM and EOTR. EOTR was best.