Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

3 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Been offered an Avalon place from waitlist - accepted and deposit paid, will be pulling pints with my sister! 🥳🍻🍹

Means one more Oxfam spot is definitely going back - good luck to those of you still on the hunt 🤞

Congrats! It sounds like your preferred choice but I was just wondering why you prefer this over Oxfam?

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Congrats! It sounds like your preferred choice but I was just wondering why you prefer this over Oxfam?

Thanks, and fair question! It's just so I can camp with my sister (and hopefully work same shifts) as she also got a place with Avalon. Several of us tried for Oxfam but I was the only one who got a spot - both their 'general' batches went in nanoseconds. Hoping we get kind shifts but fairly relaxed about it. We've both been thinking of volunteering for a while - nice to have the guaranteed camping spot, food and showers! 

From the sounds of it we may have a trek across site with our stuff though... 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:29 PM, MrHew said:

I've got my application in for WBC through the charity I did it for in 2016. Just got to wait and see now 🙂

Anyone know where they were camped last year? I know there's no guarantees it'll be the same place.

Pylon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stuie said:

Sorry I know you didn’t ask me but I am intrigued! 😂 I’ve done both Oxfam and Avalon and I found that you feel more part of the fest for Avalon! Oxfam shifts are long and the night shifts I found quite boring - that 10-6am shift was killer - I was on a really quiet and far away gate though! The first shift doing wristbands on the Wed was fab though and a great buzz, it was just the two other shifts I struggled with. Do you do Oxfam?

Edited by lazymagnet

I think with Oxfam it definitely pays to be on a busy pedestrian gate rather than quiet location that has very little traffic and therefore little to do. I did my first Oxfam volunteering last year and I was on VG5 for the 6am to 2pm and 2pm to 10pm shift and a 'pedestrain crossing' between PGB and the Oxfam camp for my overnight shift. The VG5 shifts had traffic going through but there were loads of us and most of the work is handled by the dedicated [paid] vehicle team so there was a lot of standing about not doing much. The overnight shift at the 'pedestrian crossing' was deathly boring - barely any traffic to protect pedestrians from and as we were outside the fence there weren't loads of people coming through anyway. I'd much rather have been stationed somewhere much busier, but I was just glad to be there to be honest.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:48 AM, ilovelanegan said:

Been offered an Avalon place from waitlist - accepted and deposit paid, will be pulling pints with my sister! 🥳🍻🍹

Means one more Oxfam spot is definitely going back - good luck to those of you still on the hunt 🤞

Wait. What? Wish we could have arranged a direct swap.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:14 PM, stuie said:

My thoughts precisely.

Stewarding is way more important than bar work in the greater scheme of things and that's maybe why Oxfam volunteers get a way better deal (imo) than the Avalon/ex-Shelter/Bar people (that aren't WBC).

Quieter camp site, can bring their own cars or even campers and subsequently none of that having to get your arse to Bristol for stupid o'clock on the Tuesday and similar hassle with the return journey on the Monday.

Haven't done it (Avalon/Shelter) since they removed the London coach option. Now they've moved the goalposts yet again this year (having to possibly trek across (or possibly even circumnavigate) the entire site to get to and from the (not as favourable as Oxfam's) camp site) I'm pondering whether I'm actually physically capable of doing it this year with all of the added changes.

I seriously struggled the last time I volunteered. Even without the get to Bristol and now possible trek across site malarkey. Hopefully the line-up will be announced before the cancellation deadline. If most of the names baffle me I might just decide f**k it and take my chances in the resale as I honestly feel it is far less physically demanding going as a punter than as a volunteer for me these days.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:39 PM, ilovelanegan said:

Thanks, and fair question! It's just so I can camp with my sister (and hopefully work same shifts) as she also got a place with Avalon. Several of us tried for Oxfam but I was the only one who got a spot - both their 'general' batches went in nanoseconds. Hoping we get kind shifts but fairly relaxed about it. We've both been thinking of volunteering for a while - nice to have the guaranteed camping spot, food and showers! 

From the sounds of it we may have a trek across site with our stuff though... 

Fair enough and understandable. As stated above it's that possible trek across site that is tormenting me.

14 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I think with Oxfam it definitely pays to be on a busy pedestrian gate rather than quiet location that has very little traffic and therefore little to do. I did my first Oxfam volunteering last year and I was on VG5 for the 6am to 2pm and 2pm to 10pm shift and a 'pedestrain crossing' between PGB and the Oxfam camp for my overnight shift. The VG5 shifts had traffic going through but there were loads of us and most of the work is handled by the dedicated [paid] vehicle team so there was a lot of standing about not doing much. The overnight shift at the 'pedestrian crossing' was deathly boring - barely any traffic to protect pedestrians from and as we were outside the fence there weren't loads of people coming through anyway. I'd much rather have been stationed somewhere much busier, but I was just glad to be there to be honest.

The being there is all! Am I right?

There's a gradient between a full on busy and a f**k all at all really happening shift. Have experienced both extremes with bar work. They both have their merits. The shifts pass quicker when you don't have time to think but it may really knacker you out.

To counteract a nothing really much happening shift possibly load up on podcasts or TV shows? That's how I get through the queue on the Tuesday night as a punter.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Wait. What? Wish we could have arranged a direct swap.

My thoughts precisely.

Stewarding is way more important than bar work in the greater scheme of things and that's maybe why Oxfam volunteers get a way better deal (imo) than the Avalon/ex-Shelter/Bar people (that aren't WBC).

Quieter camp site, can bring their own cars or even campers and subsequently none of that having to get your arse to Bristol for stupid o'clock on the Tuesday and similar hassle with the return journey on the Monday.

Haven't done it (Avalon/Shelter) since they removed the London coach option. Now they've moved the goalposts yet again this year (having to possibly trek across (or possibly even circumnavigate) the entire site to get to and from the (not as favourable as Oxfam's) camp site) I'm pondering whether I'm actually physically capable of doing it this year with all of the added changes.

I seriously struggled the last time I volunteered. Even without the get to Bristol and now possible trek across site malarkey. Hopefully the line-up will be announced before the cancellation deadline. If most of the names baffle me I might just decide f**k it and take my chances in the resale as I honestly feel it is far less physically demanding going as a punter than as a volunteer for me these days.

Fair enough and understandable. As stated above it's that possible trek across site that is tormenting me.

Only done avalon twice but have driven on both occasions. They get allocated a certain number of parking passes; you're more likely to get one if you car share. Worth looking at if you decide to go ahead. 

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

There's a gradient between a full on busy and a f**k all at all really happening shift. Have experienced both extremes with bar work. They both have their merits. The shifts pass quicker when you don't have time to think but it may really knacker you out.

To counteract a nothing really much happening shift possibly load up on podcasts or TV shows? That's how I get through the queue on the Tuesday night as a punter.

I'd be very surprised if you could get away with listening to podcasts or watching your phone while on an Oxfam shift, they don't even like you to sit down when working.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:48 AM, Johnnyseven said:

This is the bit I always try to emphasise to bored stewards. I seem to have been lumbered with supervising a VERY quiet gate with only a small number of stewards so it all seems very dull and pointless and yes, maybe they don't need as many stewards in some roles but it's not like you'd be working somewhere more exciting instead, there'd just be fewer stewards overall so your chances would be even smaller of getting in

12 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Only done avalon twice but have driven on both occasions. They get allocated a certain number of parking passes; you're more likely to get one if you car share. Worth looking at if you decide to go ahead. 

How do you apply for parking/organise a car share? Seems very much preferable to the coach.

I wonder how consistently exciting some people's jobs must be? I've got a job that would be considered fairly exciting but it can and does involve some seriously dull downtime. Do other people not have boring periods when they're at work?

My last three shifts with Oxfam were Thursday overnight at Gate D (dull, quiet), early on vehicle gate 2 (unbearably hot, no vehicles stopped) and Monday early on pedestrian crossing on Cockmill Lane (tired people traipsing back to carparks). 

I saw three headliners of my choice, was onsite on Monday, had access to crew bars and if I could guarantee those shifts each time I'd never try for a punters ticket again.

13 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I'd be very surprised if you could get away with listening to podcasts or watching your phone while on an Oxfam shift, they don't even like you to sit down when working.

Yes even on their Oxfam Facebook page going back  into their history there are people are not happy with that. What about if you have disability issues then

17 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Yes even on their Oxfam Facebook page going back  into their history there are people are not happy with that. What about if you have disability issues then

You can ask for reasonable adjustments and they will accommodate you. 

1 hour ago, hurdy said:

I wonder how consistently exciting some people's jobs must be? I've got a job that would be considered fairly exciting but it can and does involve some seriously dull downtime. Do other people not have boring periods when they're at work?

My last three shifts with Oxfam were Thursday overnight at Gate D (dull, quiet), early on vehicle gate 2 (unbearably hot, no vehicles stopped) and Monday early on pedestrian crossing on Cockmill Lane (tired people traipsing back to carparks). 

I saw three headliners of my choice, was onsite on Monday, had access to crew bars and if I could guarantee those shifts each time I'd never try for a punters ticket again.

Wouldn’t say my job is consistently exciting - mostly office based, with team collabs and some client face to face but it requires me to be a different version of me sometimes!

I’m lucky with Oxfam - I used to do fests with them when I was a student and since I’ve returned to them for Glasto after a long break, I’ve always been a supervisor on gate C where there isn’t a quiet or dull shift! 

8 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Anyone with disability issues just has to inform Oxbox or their supervisor and reasonable adjustments will be made for them - or where it’s necessary they might be given another role.

In terms of able bodied people, most supervisors will let people sit down and take time out etc. But from the public point of view, what do you think when you see a group of stewards sitting down chatting in a group? Just treat it like you would your real life job and everyone will be happy!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

14 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

have any question this.

If you are an Oxfam Volunteer Steward with Accessibility needs you can request things like a seated role, quiet place on site or whatever your needs are via their reasonable adjustments team. As to wether you actually have these taken in to account on the rota is a different matter. I have volunteered for them 5 times and have not had my reasonable adjustments taken into account at 4 of them. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. After Glastonbury 2022 I vowed never to volunteer for them again. 

Just now, stuie said:

Anyone with disability issues just has to inform Oxbox or their supervisor and reasonable adjustments will be made for them - or where it’s necessary they might be given another role.

Ideally, this should be done when filling out the profile rather than waiting until the Festival - that way they can (or at least should) take it into account when rostering and assign the person to a location where it's a bit more relaxed (often this means Oxfield)

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Ideally, this should be done when filling out the profile rather than waiting until the Festival - that way they can (or at least should) take it into account when rostering and assign the person to a location where it's a bit more relaxed (often this means Oxfield)

Yes, sure, for known disabilities or conditions. But I had a lovely older lady last year who just had bad back pain from days on the farm and camping and it’s good to be able to make adjustments for things like that too. 

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

I have disabilities and need to sit down at times and I use a crutch. Oxfam couldn't have been more helpful, placing me in a safe space (Ped gate A inside the barriers) where I could carry out my job and really feel part of the team at the same time. I had to provide medical evidence, but I honestly felt so included and supported.

My supervisors were all helpful, checking in with me regularly. 

I did sometimes feel bad that I always had some shade because of where I was placed while other volunteers were battling through in the sun, but definitely on my team the supervisors were excellent at rotating people regularly. 

6 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

If you are an Oxfam Volunteer Steward with Accessibility needs you can request things like a seated role, quiet place on site or whatever your needs are via their reasonable adjustments team. As to wether you actually have these taken in to account on the rota is a different matter. I have volunteered for them 5 times and have not had my reasonable adjustments taken into account at 4 of them. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. After Glastonbury 2022 I vowed never to volunteer for them again. 

That's very poor by Oxfam. 

Just want to say first I am absolutely not doubting what you say and I'm sure it happens more than we realise but I'm also genuinely surprised to hear this. 4 times! You'd think after the second time there'd be an extra effort not to make the same mistake again. Never needed adjustments myself but met/worked with many who have and I think in all my time I've only met one person who had this happen to them too.

I wonder what the legal ramifications would be for this if you chose to take it further. Are they leaving themselves open to problems if people did take it further? Same as in paid work? Although I have no real idea what the rules there are tbh. Could you (or someone) refuse to work until your adjustments are met?

Can see why you don't want to volunteer with them again. Not sure I would have lasted the 4 times you did to be honest. Do you volunteer with anyone else now? And if so, have they been better?