Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

24 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Am I setting myself up for a fall by thinking it's Stevie Nicks already?  Made this mistake with Pulp last year.

There's no reason to rule her out at this point.

But that also applies to a few different people, and there's no specific reason to think any of them are more likely than the others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the fact there's nothing really confirming her and other options still very much available from the list posted by @incident

oh ok, I thought you had something solid ruling her out and I was about to cry.

4 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Definitely Cher if I had to guess.

Yep my money is on Cher. She loves England, she’s touring next year, she’s 77yrs old now and is definitely a legend! She must know how iconic Glastonbury is. 
Shania Twain - not really a legend slot for the Uk. 

On 12/2/2023 at 6:50 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't see her at the G this year given the Shania buzz.

What buzz? I expect shania will play but not legend slot. It’s only one person that’s said it’s def Shania I think?

2 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Where has the Shania buzz come from? What have I missed?

A single user with a previously successful track record but who does not want to be named in a community that somehow thinks their words can’t be read by anyone on the internet claims the legend is Shania Twain and that this is coming from someone that would know. 

This feels like the “Roxy Music” of this year - a legend that makes no sense getting placed in the conversation because of one in the know person that’s probably wrong in some way. (Like, maybe Shania is booked but not for the legend - she feels to me more like a Sheryl Crow or The Chicks placement than legend). In an interview this year Emily was saying how the legend should maybe be the fourth name on the top of the poster - I have a hard time believing she was saying that with Shania Twain in mind. 

Then again I thought Pulp were a lock to play this year so what do I know?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, assorted said:

This feels like the “Roxy Music” of this year - a legend that makes no sense getting placed in the conversation because of one in the know person that’s probably wrong in some way. (Like, maybe Shania is booked but not for the legend - she feels to me more like a Sheryl Crow or The Chicks placement than legend).

One way its not like a Roxy Music is that she's thrown her hat in the ring to do it

https://www.nme.com/news/music/shania-twain-glastonbury-queen-of-me-legend-tour-3407793-3407793

37 minutes ago, assorted said:

A single user with a previously successful track record but who does not want to be named in a community that somehow thinks their words can’t be read by anyone on the internet claims the legend is Shania Twain and that this is coming from someone that would know. 

This feels like the “Roxy Music” of this year - a legend that makes no sense getting placed in the conversation because of one in the know person that’s probably wrong in some way. (Like, maybe Shania is booked but not for the legend - she feels to me more like a Sheryl Crow or The Chicks placement than legend). In an interview this year Emily was saying how the legend should maybe be the fourth name on the top of the poster - I have a hard time believing she was saying that with Shania Twain in mind. 

Then again I thought Pulp were a lock to play this year so what do I know?

They’re not gonna be able to book Dolly, Lionel, Kylie, Diana etc sized Sunday legends every year. I mean, they had Cat Stevens doing it this year and had to stick Blondie on after him just go people got their sing and dance along fix. Availability and just generally finding acts willing to do it now that they’ve ticked off many of the big hitters is gonna be a struggle going forward so I think it’s to be expected that every once in a while they have to go with a more B-tier legend or they’ll just have to bin it off entirely (which I’m sure some people would be happy with but I don’t see happening yet - it’s just become too big of a thing ingrained in the festival).

Shania has enough well known songs to do the job and certainly seems to be able to put on a show fit for that slot. I think it will be an absolute hoot if it’s her. 

Although looking on Setlist FM largely draws a blank, I watched Shania Twain At The BBC some time around when she was last in the country and knew most of the songs. Maybe it's just the names people don't know?

Anyway, she'd put on a decent 60 minutes.