Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

On 7/9/2023 at 10:45 AM, kalifire said:

Robbie would bring the house down like no other act it could be, but I’m still rooting for Bon Jovi or Bryan Adams. 

I think Bryan Adams could do a Texas style hour set. I think he's amazing but i also think he'd be underwhelming to most people I know as the Legend slot. 

I actually think he deserves a better crowd than one that feels they should be there and sees him as a bit of cheese actually. 

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

PG maybe, but he doesn’t do Genesis songs, and Kate Bush ain’t playing Glastonbury.

I hoped to see Peter Gabriel somewhere this year but never thought he was likely for legend, he's just not  ... I dunno how to describe it.... mainstream?... cheesy? enough. But then I wouldn't have put Yusuf in that slot either so what do I know?

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I hoped to see Peter Gabriel somewhere this year but never thought he was likely for legend, he's just not  ... I dunno how to describe it.... mainstream?... cheesy? enough. But then I wouldn't have put Yusuf in that slot either so what do I know?

I think it's ok if the legend slot changes slightly from year to year. Some years can be cheesy singalongs with broader appeal and other years have some bonafide legends. A lot of people didn't think Cat Stevens was a great pick but not heard a bad word about him from anyone who was there and even those of us who didn't see him but watched it later would agree he did a great job.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think it's ok if the legend slot changes slightly from year to year. Some years can be cheesy singalongs with broader appeal and other years have some bonafide legends. A lot of people didn't think Cat Stevens was a great pick but not heard a bad word about him from anyone who was there and even those of us who didn't see him but watched it later would agree he did a great job.

The Sunday - and Cat - benefited massively from the fact that Elton was on and brought a Legend Slot Party sort of vibe to his headline slot.  That became the focus of the electrical charge in the air that the last few years has earthed itself in the sets by Kylie, Diana, etc. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Sunday - and Cat - benefited massively from the fact that Elton was on and brought a Legend Slot Party sort of vibe to his headline slot.  That became the focus of the electrical charge in the air that the last few years has earthed itself in the sets by Kylie, Diana, etc. 

Yep I think Rick Astley and Sophie Ellis Bextor etc brought more of that cheesy singalong vibe as well and that's what I'm saying as long as we have a balanced line up it doesn't have to always be the legend act that brings the cheesy singalong vibe and some times it's nice to give a big legend their time in the sun so to speak.

27 minutes ago, km9 said:

People need to get past this argument. Paul McCartney, Diana Ross, Axl Rose... Loads more too.

They could sing a bit. Bon Jovi literally cant sing anymore. His face is all strained, and his timing is all over the shop. His vocal chords are in bits. 

And hes missing Richie Sambora badly.

41 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They could sing a bit. Bon Jovi literally cant sing anymore. His face is all strained, and his timing is all over the shop. His vocal chords are in bits. 

And hes missing Richie Sambora badly.

Aw that's really quite sad to hear. He's quite young as well. Must be awful to lose the ability to do the thing that has been your life and passion. I wonder what the issue is and whether there's any chance of it getting better?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Folk who can still hit their mark - Jagger, The Boss, etc - I assume have full time vocal coaches they work with to ensure they look after their voices - practice, proper warm up and cool down, etc. And you've got to knock things like the booze and the smokes on the head.

Wasn't the boss done for drink driving only a couple of years ago 😄

But yep most of them do look after themselves more than they would like to admit for fear of damaging their rock n' roll reputation.

I am now down a rabbit hole of watching Justin Hawkins verdict on why JBJ can't sing anymore. This is my Friday afternoon now

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Folk who can still hit their mark - Jagger, The Boss, etc - I assume have full time vocal coaches they work with to ensure they look after their voices - practice, proper warm up and cool down, etc. And you've got to knock things like the booze and the smokes on the head.

How's Stevie Wonder doing now? Is his voice ok? I dont know if I'd see him again as 2010 was so good.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

There isnt a hope of Peter Gabriel playing some kitch retrospective sing-a-long gig to a load of people waiting for Sledgehammer. 

Indeed. His recent tour was the whole new album and a few others. 

I can only see him doing a headline West Holts but that would be a massive booking for that stage. Perhaps a sunset set at Pyramid if the headliner was complementary. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Jagger does I think, Bruce doesn't. Bruce said on Howard Stern that hes always been able to sing normally but sound really loud. Also that he sings "correctly".

Saw a clip of Sinatra before talking about singing in a way that doesn't damage your voice. Always sing an "ah" sound as opposed to "urgh" which puts pressure on your vocal chords etc.

A lot of the rock crowd never took lessons so they ended up knackering their voices just by not singing correctly. JBJ seems to be one. Its not just age, which is fine, its real damage.

34 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I don't want to hear any more of this Roxy Music, Pulp, Eagles or any other band in the legends slot malarkey! 

image.thumb.png.75905e3f065d50b6da6e89968cb2ad15.png

*Sigh* I really spent way too long making this.

😄

Though it does count.

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Jagger does I think, Bruce doesn't. Bruce said on Howard Stern that hes always been able to sing normally but sound really loud. Also that he sings "correctly".

Saw a clip of Sinatra before talking about singing in a way that doesn't damage your voice. Always sing an "ah" sound as opposed to "urgh" which puts pressure on your vocal chords etc.

A lot of the rock crowd never took lessons so they ended up knackering their voices just by not singing correctly. JBJ seems to be one. Its not just age, which is fine, its real damage.

Yep most of them don't learn to sing properly but once their voice starts to become so valuable they end up taking some lessons to work out how to preserve it better.