Olivia Rodrigo

FloorFiller

I wouldn't really compare her ticket prices (£66.35 - £127.10) to Foo Fighters and Bring Me The Horizon... Would say they're more in line with the likes of SZA (£79.85 - £129.35) and Billie Eilish (£50.25 - £105.75). The only price I can't quite get my head around, is the VIP Pit... £280 is taking the piss! 

4 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Im off the waitlist aswell. Not going to bother though, £400 to take my kids to a concert.

No thanks

Yup, parents have to stump up the money just like with Taylor too.

2 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Fair enough. My previous comment was a bit of an overreaction as seems I misunderstood your intentions. 

One thing to understand with me is, if I don't think an artist is worth the money even if I like them then I will wait for a twickets etc or straight won't pay it. I only joined Spotify about 6 months ago myself, I didn't invent every way for music to be cheaper meaning artists ticket prices are dearer. Covid has not helped but these guys made enough money even with covid etc that prices now don't need to be charged. I have seen almost every band I probably want to, to be able to say in the next few years I probably have enough.

I just went on holiday for 8 nights paying £470/80. I am predicting I spent £400 on that holiday so £8/900 overall. This gig is based on one evening of, one day of that holiday. I did a tour on that holiday that was €90, so around £80 for 8 hours and it was in Ibiza so it is not the cheapest excursions from the Ibiza Marina too.

56 minutes ago, UEF said:

Reading this thread and wondering if it was just me that didn't expect to be taken to gigs as a kid

Expect is maybe the wrong word, and it wasn't a regular thing, but I certainly asked the question on occasion and sometimes (a handful of times total) they'd take me to a gig. Usually high in the stands / on the balcony but that didn't seem to matter so much at the time.

1 hour ago, UEF said:

Reading this thread and wondering if it was just me that didn't expect to be taken to gigs as a kid

I went to my first gig when I was 16. I had to get my friend's mum to buy me a ticket because a) didn't have a credit/debit card b) parents thought they were essentially drug dens.

It was a Reel Big Fish and Sum 41 show. lol

Just an FYI for anyone still who’s yet to get tickets - when I got taken off the waitlist for the o2 arena gigs they gave me 2 links for both TM and AXS-  I went on Ticketmaster which had no standing left and only expensive seated ones - however when I went on AXS they had regular non VIP standing and cheaper seated tickets as well. So be sure to check both

14 hours ago, UEF said:

Went to a few Beautiful South gigs with my parents but that was their taste and we (the kids) did/do absolutely love them (the band, and our parents) then/now because of that, but we certainly didn't expect/ask to go., just like that's what we're doing, cool.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

So, people in the know, I’ve only recently got into Olivia (the bouncy guitar stuff, not the overwrought piano ballads) so have no clue here.

Has the second album maintained/increased her momentum? Was that even possible?

I think it’s maintained it but not necessarily increased it. The first album came with a huge wave of ‘new main pop girl coming out of nowhere and releasing a string of hit singles straight off the bat’ about it, whereas the new one is more of the same - not as surprising or out of nowhere, but still excellent and sure to keep the fandom happy.

The second two singles haven’t made the same impact that Good 4 U and Deja Vu did, but overall I think the album’s a better version of what she was doing before.

Maybe she’ll change things up a bit with the third one, although tbf she could probably get away with milking this sound for a bit longer.

On 10/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, FloorFiller said:

I think it’s maintained it but not necessarily increased it. The first album came with a huge wave of ‘new main pop girl coming out of nowhere and releasing a string of hit singles straight off the bat’ about it, whereas the new one is more of the same - not as surprising or out of nowhere, but still excellent and sure to keep the fandom happy.

The second two singles haven’t made the same impact that Good 4 U and Deja Vu did, but overall I think the album’s a better version of what she was doing before.

Maybe she’ll change things up a bit with the third one, although tbf she could probably get away with milking this sound for a bit longer.

Thanks. That was the impression I got having not been following her until recently-though I remember the people I was with who went to see her in 2022 raving about it. The Arena tour seems to have sold out very quickly too. 

I certainly prefer the second album to the first, agree I can see her getting another album out of this sound, maybe just a slow evolution.

Such a shame that this is the way the industry is going at the moment. Just listened to one of her songs for the first time, sounds exactly the same as most of the other dirge in the charts. if this is really what we’re talking about to headline the festival then I feel very pessimistic.

*these opinions are solely of Mungo57 not of efests or the wider community*

• Upvote 1