Football 2023/24

charlierc

42 minutes ago, lost said:

Mike Deans basically admitted VAR is fixed. Avoided making a decision that would of appeared "controversial" in a big match.

Also saw a comment (not sure if it was him or another retired ref) who said that he didn't send the ref over to the monitor when he was on VAR as the ref was his mate and he didn't want to put him in a pressure situation (or similar wording). Absolutely ridiculous. Always said VAR isn't the problem, it's the people using it.

The poor implementation of VAR is partly why I’ve stopped watching Prem level football. 

The technology works but that has never been the issue, it’s the strong bias towards certain clubs that has always been English footballs problem. 

Ideally the VAR refs should be 100% impartial. There’s no need for them to even be English refs who may have ingrained bias towards or against teams they’ve grown up supporting/hating. 

Wonder if AI will get to a point where it can analyse on field decisions. No critical thinking, either offside or not and not down to the interpretation of the ref on the day. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wonder if AI will get to a point where it can analyse on field decisions. No critical thinking, either offside or not and not down to the interpretation of the ref on the day. 

That would be really interesting to see. There clearly are some biases there. Stuff like if a player is already on a yellow the 2nd yellow has to be a "bad yellow" or if one team is down to 10 men then the ref takes any opportunity to even the numbers up and the other team has to be careful.

Outside of VAR though it has always felt the case there is a bit of "scripted reality" there where if the game goes as expected then the ref will get less scrutiny. 

38 minutes ago, lost said:

Stuff like if a player is already on a yellow the 2nd yellow has to be a "bad yellow"

Stuff like this annoys me. A yellow card offence should be applicable regardless of how many cards a player has or how long into the game it is. 

Same with time wasting too, that’s my other biggest issue with the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Also saw a comment (not sure if it was him or another retired ref) who said that he didn't send the ref over to the monitor when he was on VAR as the ref was his mate and he didn't want to put him in a pressure situation (or similar wording). Absolutely ridiculous. Always said VAR isn't the problem, it's the people using it.

The whole concept is flawed.

Luis Rubiales hit out at “false feminism” and a “social assassination” of his character as he vowed to stay on as head of Spain’s football federation (RFEF) amid fierce criticism and a Fifa investigation for kissing Spain’s Jennifer Hermoso on the lips during the Women’s World Cup final trophy presentation.

In a passionate speech at an extraordinary general assembly of Spain’s football federation, the 46-year-old reiterated that he would not be forced out of his role by what he felt was a witch-hunt. “I will not resign,” he repeated emphatically. “I will fight this to the end.”

He characterised the events of the past five days as a “social assassination,” adding: “They are trying to kill me.” Rubiales linked the events of the past days to what he described as “false feminism, one of the scourges of this country”.

"It was spontaneous, mutual and consensual. When Jenni appeared she lifted me up from the ground, we hugged and I told her to forget the penalty, she was fantastic in this tournament and she told me I was great. I asked her, 'a peck?' and it happened"

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Luis Rubiales hit out at “false feminism” and a “social assassination” of his character as he vowed to stay on as head of Spain’s football federation (RFEF) amid fierce criticism and a Fifa investigation for kissing Spain’s Jennifer Hermoso on the lips during the Women’s World Cup final trophy presentation.

In a passionate speech at an extraordinary general assembly of Spain’s football federation, the 46-year-old reiterated that he would not be forced out of his role by what he felt was a witch-hunt. “I will not resign,” he repeated emphatically. “I will fight this to the end.”

He characterised the events of the past five days as a “social assassination,” adding: “They are trying to kill me.” Rubiales linked the events of the past days to what he described as “false feminism, one of the scourges of this country”.

"It was spontaneous, mutual and consensual. When Jenni appeared she lifted me up from the ground, we hugged and I told her to forget the penalty, she was fantastic in this tournament and she told me I was great. I asked her, 'a peck?' and it happened"

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Apparently FIFA and the Spanish government will now be conducting investigations into Rubiales' conduct, while some male players have said they won't play for the national team. So, this bellicose defiance probably hasn't helped his case.

7 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

It was Mike Dean in the same interview, both of which concerning a decision not to send off Cristian Romero near the end of the Chelsea v Spurs game this time last year that ended up with Conte & Tuchel having a full-on slagging match on the touchline.

Talk about throwing petrol on the fire.

8 hours ago, charlierc said:

Apparently FIFA and the Spanish government will now be conducting investigations into Rubiales' conduct, while some male players have said they won't play for the national team. So, this bellicose defiance probably hasn't helped his case.

Entire female Spanish team have resigned if he stays in power

Spanish FA are suing the players Union to defend him

Suing 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Very messy with Spain and threatening to (or has already?) overshadow the team’s achievement.

Mental. The Spanish FA are suing the player for lying????

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66626410?at_link_id=6181794A-43E4-11EE-A026-CDB6AD7C7D13&at_medium=social&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_link_origin=BBCBreaking&at_campaign=Social_Flow

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Very messy with Spain and threatening to (or has already?) overshadow the team’s achievement.

I think the fact the entire squad that went to Australia for the tournament have declared intention to boycott and a fair number of men's players past and present have been critical means this is kinda getting overshadowed. How much of a shame that Spain's women's team do something remarkable and the following week is dominated by talking about a man behaving badly.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think the fact the entire squad that went to Australia for the tournament have declared intention to boycott and a fair number of men's players past and present have been critical means this is kinda getting overshadowed. How much of a shame that Spain's women's team do something remarkable and the following week is dominated by talking about a man behaving badly.

He clearly needs to resign but is instead dragging down the whole organisation with him 

United got away with another one today, certainly not functioning as a team as they should. My one hope is Hojlund hits the ground running, as Martial is beyond sh*t. 

Very surprised on the spurs manager, seems they are thriving post Kane. 

Looks like a good sunday with Newcastle v Liverpool, should be a good watch. 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, zahidf said:

At least it was just a peck and not full tongues.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Lol what? He sexually assaulted someone on live television. Not sure why you're blaming twitter.

I think the fact that the entire backroom team of the Spanish FA women's team except for their unpopular manager and that Rubiales got suspended by FIFA from all football for 90 days hints it's being taken seriously by more than just Twitter/X users.

Although Spain's men's national team manager going from applauding Rubiales' defiant "I'm not f**king leaving" speech on Friday to releasing a statement condemning him earlier has some nerve.