Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

15 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

bit of a off-topic but I just feel like I want to get in the mood. 

favourite 5 moments from these last years of the "new"/bigger primavera, anyone (let's say 2018/2019-now)? Something that stood the test of time for you.

I'll start: 
- Pavement 2022, after waiting for 3 years

- Nick Cave 2018 (maybe the loverman bit)

- Unwound 2023, because it was amazing from start to finish

- Rosalia 2023 maybe? Definitely felt like a victory lap as well as a set she cared about

- Low 2022, sunset set: we know why

Spiritualized - 2018

Nick Cave - 2018

Apparat - 2019

Deerhunter- 2019

Cate Le Bon - 2019

4 of these were Apolo / Auditori.  I guess I loved 2018/2019 way better than 2022 or 2023. 

1) Slowdive - 2018. Probably second most beautiful show I've seen at PS after Mvb in 2013.

2) Amenra - 2023. They need to book more post-metal the coming years.

3) Iosonouncane - 2022. Such a great dark show with such a small attendance. Would have loved to see the new album performed in full. 

4) Deerhunter - 2019 at Apolo. I miss them, PS without them is not the same!

5) Carolina Durante - 2022 One of the best moments I've had at Primavera was during Thursday of W1 when finally managed to get drinks from the understaffed bars and set off to see The Armed followed by Carolina Durante, such an energetic show with guest performance from Santiago Motorizado. The Spanish crowd was really up for it. Fuelled by alcohol and with renewed energy the experience went from very uncomfortable to ecstatic.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

favourite 5 moments from these last years of the "new"/bigger primavera, anyone (let's say 2018/2019-now)? Something that stood the test of time for you.

I'll start: 

- Rosalia 2023 maybe? Definitely felt like a victory lap as well as a set she cared about

This is hard but let's try. In no order:

1. King Gizzard (Wknd. 2) 2022 - Final show of 5 and played a killer setlist. Was coughing up dust the next day.

2. Bon Iver 2017 - First time at the festival seeing my indie dream headliner. Remember the camera operators just kept zooming in on various people crying.

3. Nils Frahm 2018 - Did a sober Primavera this year as I was working, and sitting on the grassy hill taking this in took me to another world.

4. Janelle Monae 2019 - Yeah, like a lot of others said, this was just another level. Arena headline set in Mordor.

5. Kendrick -> Fred Again... -> Skrillex 2023 - Yeah I'm cheating here but all of this in a row was pulverising. The lights set on fire during Skrillex so I missed Unwound but totally worth it.

I am thinking Justice could break this list this year.

• Like 1

I can't even chose only five, and at least you limited the time period, but let's try top 5 gigs each year (good live + special moment).

1. Spiritualized at the Auditori with orchestra and choir (just after the great Maria Arnal performance)

2. Lorde in her best moment imho

3. Beach House at Primavera stage 2 a.m. ❤️

4. Idles' first visit

5. Nils Frahm

1. Janelle Monae's top performance

2. Rosalía headlining in Barcelona for her first time

3. Charli XCX braking all the rules and singing Focus' line "Keep it hot, Barcelona" to a really nice crowd in the Primavera stage

4. Lizzo blowing up the crowded beach stage

5. Christine & The Queens giving it their all

Wow (this year was one of my favs, I still could list the Tame Impala concert, one of last Sophie shows, The Comet is Coming in the mini Heineken Hidden Stage sweating as hell, Stereolab's superb comeback or the moshpits with The Beths and Amyl and thr Sniffers in Apolo on Sunday)

2022 x 2

1. Low at the auditori (!!!)

2. The "a la ciutat gigs" like Beck at Razzmatazz, Magnetic Fields in Barts, Jorja Smith in Apollo or the Pc Music party ^_^

3. Fred Again driving crazy the small "pitchfork/plenitude" stage with a marriage proposal included

4. Beach House with one of their best lives

5. Caroline Polachek filling to its full capacity the same stage she visited as Chairlift years ago

1. Turnstile and the moshpits even with a wheelchair

2. Rosalia's stunning Motomami's performance

3. Alvvays ❤️ in their prime

4. Jockstrap resulting one of the best breakthrough bands of the edition

5. Maggie Rogers slowly singing Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" while sunset on Rayban

and I could go on...

Edited by LMDS
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:45 PM, Whos3000_ said:

I'll start: 

2019 Suede

2022 Idles

2022 Beck

2022 Otoboke Beaver

2023 Blur

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gnarler said:

This is hard but let's try. In no order:

1. King Gizzard (Wknd. 2) 2022 - Final show of 5 and played a killer setlist. Was coughing up dust the next day.

2. Bon Iver 2017 - First time at the festival seeing my indie dream headliner. Remember the camera operators just kept zooming in on various people crying.

3. Nils Frahm 2018 - Did a sober Primavera this year as I was working, and sitting on the grassy hill taking this in took me to another world.

4. Janelle Monae 2019 - Yeah, like a lot of others said, this was just another level. Arena headline set in Mordor.

5. Kendrick -> Fred Again... -> Skrillex 2023 - Yeah I'm cheating here but all of this in a row was pulverising. The lights set on fire during Skrillex so I missed Unwound but totally worth it.

I am thinking Justice could break this list this year.

Fred Again was one of the best sets I had ever seen and I didn’t know who he was until a few months before the gig. I was euphoric and I don’t take drugs. 

It felt like being part of the zeitgeist.

Standing there as a 38 year old thinking, there is hope for these young folk yet 😃.

• Like 1

Anna von Hausswolf - 2018. Only knew one song at the time, but completely blown away.

Jenny Hval - Auditori, 2022. Just goosebumps. Another unexpected highlight.

Little Simz -2022. Great performer, really loved to see her for the first time, great vibes.

Slowdive - 2018. Whats not to like?

Beach House - 2018 & 2022. My favourite show in both years, bit of a fanboy, but seeing them play past midnight is a really great experience.

Edited by Marty76

Difficult task to choose just five, so I changed it to my favorite/memorable for each year:

2014: Cut Copy - My first Primavera, and what a memorable ending.

2015: Thee Oh Sees - At the Apolo. Also a very memorable ending of the festival. Amazing crowd and concert.

2016: Moderat - Got free drinks from the bar (someone just walked before they got the drink) and danced my ass off.

2017: Arcade Fire - The suprise set on the 360 stage. What a hype way to release the first single from the new album.

2018: Beach House - At the Primavera stage was so emotional.

2019: Channel Tres/Lizzo/Tierra Whack - Amazing row of great acts on a beach stage.

2022 (weekend 1): Fred again.. - They hype was real.

2022 (weekend 2): Jessie Ware - I think I've never seen the full crowd on Rayban dance, even people on the stairs.

2023: Turnstile - Finally got to see them. Amazing crowd, should have played a smaller stage.

17 hours ago, Olivedal 1904 said:

Iosonouncane - 2022. Such a great dark show with such a small attendance. Would have loved to see the new album performed in full. 

From what I remember he played it in full...it was IRA tour, I saw him twice that tour and I think it played only new stuff.

Anyway great concert.

18 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

From what I remember he played it in full...it was IRA tour, I saw him twice that tour and I think it played only new stuff.

Anyway great concert.

Not in full, he had a 50 minutes slot. I was at King Gizz but I'm sure he made a great concert as always (saw it two times too during last tour 🙏)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

like May, quite close to the festival really.

Thank you! Quite shocked it’ll be so late when we know who will clash! Better brush up my knowledge of all the acts I like the sound of so I have options in case my top priorities all clash. 

23 minutes ago, foolee said:

Thank you! Quite shocked it’ll be so late when we know who will clash! Better brush up my knowledge of all the acts I like the sound of so I have options in case my top priorities all clash. 

I don't know of any festival that would handle it differently, maximum i've seen was like one month, except at fests that have only one or two stages.

At this point, Ciutat can only disappoint. I wouldn't have had any expectations for it, if it were announced anywhere close to the festival, but with more than two months delay, a handful of acts the size of bar italia will just not do the trick.

Edited by Quadrophobia

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I don't know of any festival that would handle it differently, maximum i've seen was like one month, except at fests that have only one or two stages.

At this point, Ciutat can only disappoint. I wouldn't have had any expectations for it, if it were announced anywhere close to the festival, but with more than two months delay, a handful of acts the size of bar italia will just not do the trick.

Glastonbury stage times are the most impressive given they come out over a month in advance typically and there's sh*t loads of stages.

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Glastonbury stage times are the most impressive given they come out over a month in advance typically and there's sh*t loads of stages.

yeah but afaik they have individual teams for planning each stage, except the main stages. That makes it somewhat easier to put a programm together.

Edited by Quadrophobia

It seems the majority in here thinks the ciutat program will disappoint. Any reasons why (besides it being announced later than usual)? 

Still holding off on booking the whole trip as i want to know if it'll be worth arriving on Monday or Tuesday...🙈

26 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Loads of festivals announce stage splits (not necessarily times) or lineup posters splitting out the stages quite in advance and then you can take a reasonable punt at who will clash and therefore who to put more of your listening attention too. I do think the reason they wait is to sell more tickets because someone is more likely to hold off if favourites or must sees clash.