Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

4 hours ago, YunT said:

I'm Spanish and I know quite well what I'm talking about when I say that Karol G at Primavera would seem to me to be a rather vague booking, typical of other thematic festivals in Barcelona such as the Reggaeton Beach Festival. 

J Balvin in 2019 was confirmed as headliner after a media campaign very well controlled by Primavera Sound in which they made him the cover of Rockdelux magazine and in which Balvin came with the approval of the music press (the album Vibras had an 8 in Pitchfork). 

Primavera Sound was in charge of properly selling that album as an innovation in the reggaeton - which it was-. But in my opinion and knowing the genre very well, it's not the same to bring Balvin in 2019 than Karol G in 2024. Beyond that as I say, I think the fashion of bringing reggaeton is close to expire.

You should really watch her Tiny Desk:

2 hours ago, Martin_89 said:

I know that these people work for the festival so ofc even if they didn’t like it they would still act surprised and happy. But damn it seemed like they very trying really hard to show any emotions at all. Either they shocked form how good it is or either it’s just super meh. And I’m kind of scared that it’s just meh. Yes sure Pulp, PJ Harvey and Lana are all great and there are nice acts being discussed or rumoured for the undercard but still everything just feels meh. No legendary comebacks, no legendary headliners, no fresh and good headliners, everything seems so dull. I really hope I’m wrong. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, festivalguy97 said:

I know that these people work for the festival so ofc even if they didn’t like it they would still act surprised and happy. But damn it seemed like they very trying really hard to show any emotions at all. Either they shocked form how good it is or either it’s just super meh. And I’m kind of scared that it’s just meh. Yes sure Pulp, PJ Harvey and Lana are all great and there are nice acts being discussed or rumoured for the undercard but still everything just feels meh. No legendary comebacks, no legendary headliners, no fresh and good headliners, everything seems so dull. I really hope I’m wrong. 

just ignore these dumb videos, the line up will still be good

3 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

exactly this. for the first time in almost a decade i’ve held back on buying tickets this year until the line up arrived. wasn’t sure why but i think you’ve summed it up. 

obviously would be overjoyed to be proved wrong. 

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

just ignore these dumb videos, the line up will still be good

I mean ofc it’s gonna be “good” as always, even this year I enjoyed and discovered a lot of music although it my opinion it was the worst Primavera lineup since I’ve been to the festival since 2015. I just feel that festivals are kind of dying everywhere, more and more artists do solo tours cause those pay more. As much as I like and respect Mitski for example, discussing her as a headliner just feels awkward. Maybe because I’ve seen her 3 times in the last 2 years, but idk everything just feel meh. Hope they really a surprise us. And I feel like they might have something very special, I mean they are marketing it that way, so I pray it’s good, not in Primavera therms good (it’s always good in those therms), but actually good. 

• Like 1

Has Primavera ever been about the headliners? It feels like people are expecting Primavera to turn into Mad Cool, Glastonbury or something. The expected undercard is already quite good just from the dozen or so bands that have matching tour dates. PJ Harvey and Pulp would be a bonus.

Being exciting is all relative; I've been to so many shows over the years that hardly any lineup they could came up with would look "exciting" to me, but I've learned to appreciate other aspects, such as discovering smaller bands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Has Primavera ever been about the headliners? It feels like people are expecting Primavera to turn into Mad Cool, Glastonbury or something. The expected undercard is already quite good just from the dozen or so bands that have matching tour dates. PJ Harvey and Pulp would be a bonus.

Being exciting is all relative; I've been to so many shows over the years that hardly any lineup they could came up with would look "exciting" to me, but I've learned to appreciate other aspects, such as discovering smaller bands.

this, the undercard normally slaps

5 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

True, I never even end seeing half of the headliners because it’s too crowded and I get bored. But about the undercard, maybe it’s me but there were years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018) when the undercard was amazing. I mean it’s still pretty good but I feel like it’s always the same lately, 1 year they bring BCNR type of band, then next year they bring Big Thief type of band and then it’s again and again. Every festival can do that now. You don’t have those acts like “oh wow I’m not gonna see this anywhere else than Primavera”. 

Sounds like some of you are getting pretty nervous! There'll be stuff in there for everyone.

Moldy Peaches were a gem in the undercard for me this year, and one I doubt I'll ever get to see again. And Laurie Anderson was WILD, I wasn't familiar with her work at all and her show was a completely unique experience. I also loved Sevdaliza's last minute stand in, someone on here said to check her out and it was a great shout.

I agree that some of the headliners being mentioned aren't particularly exciting me, but I reckon there'll be some we haven't guessed yet.

The thing I find with Primavera is while I generally like to love most if not all headliners, and love the under card, it is also the best festival on earth for discovering new artists.

Every year without fail I listen to every artist on the poster - and every year even if I don’t go I discover new artists I like.

Also saw QOTSA tonight and they were great. Find it crazy Primavera pushes in new directions in terms of mainstream audience but continues to reject established acts like QOTSA/Smashing Pumpkins etc. The point of the festival is a broad church. 

1 hour ago, Jamm said:

The thing I find with Primavera is while I generally like to love most if not all headliners, and love the under card, it is also the best festival on earth for discovering new artists.

Every year without fail I listen to every artist on the poster - and every year even if I don’t go I discover new artists I like.

Also saw QOTSA tonight and they were great. Find it crazy Primavera pushes in new directions in terms of mainstream audience but continues to reject established acts like QOTSA/Smashing Pumpkins etc. The point of the festival is a broad church. 

That's my Glastonbury experience. I always find someone to fall in love.

6 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

True, I never even end seeing half of the headliners because it’s too crowded and I get bored. But about the undercard, maybe it’s me but there were years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018) when the undercard was amazing. I mean it’s still pretty good but I feel like it’s always the same lately, 1 year they bring BCNR type of band, then next year they bring Big Thief type of band and then it’s again and again. Every festival can do that now. You don’t have those acts like “oh wow I’m not gonna see this anywhere else than Primavera”. 

What I love about the undercard is that there are always some acts I've never heard about and it takes me months to realize that they might be worth checking. And in the end I'm completely blown away. In 2022 it was that PC music nonsense that turned into me (and ALL people that were there) having the greatest fun at Hannah Diamond set, in 2023 two absolutely mindblowing J-Pop experiences. So, of course bring me my indie rock usual suspects again, but I'm expecting also few of these hidden gems that I know I'm not going to be able to identify today or tomorrow. And these are also usually the artists that you just can't find at your regular festival.

Edited by pipan

1 hour ago, pipan said:

What I love about the undercard is that there are always some acts I've never heard about and it takes me months to realize that they might be worth checking. And in the end I'm completely blown away. In 2022 it was that PC music nonsense that turned into me (and ALL people that were there) having the greatest fun at Hannah Diamond set, in 2023 two absolutely mindblowing J-Pop experiences. So, of course bring me my indie rock usual suspects again, but I'm expecting also few of these hidden gems that I know I'm not going to be able to identify today or tomorrow. And these are also usually the artists that you just can't find at your regular festival.

HD in 2022 was insane, so much fun!

Ascendant Vierge in 2023 was also crazy good!