Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

I would love to see Tool to be announced on their own for Primavera tomorrow - just for the reactions on the internet 😁

Joking aside. If Tool is announced tomorrow because they are booked for Primavera and want to announce their whole tour like Depeche Mode last year AND the rest of the line-up isn't ready to announce just yet then I guess they'll announce a "classic" headliner alongside them to not confuse the audience too much. Pulp comes to my mind.

Edited by Createur

Tool are no way out of place. And they should be comparable to depeche mode in terms of costs and ticket sales, shouldn't they? I am not even a fanboy but having them at primavera would be just glorious. I can definitely see the appeal for their core audience, the same who will buy the tickets for the smile, massive attack and so on

• Upvote 2

One of three things is going to happen tomorrow:

Tool announce their tour dates, not at PS, PS does nothing.

Tool announce their tour dates with PS, PS do a separate announcement for them Depeche Mode style.

Tool announce their tour dates with PS, PS do a full line up drop.

I reckon it's the first. But if I huff some copium it might be the second.

19 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Tool are no way out of place. And they should be comparable to depeche mode in terms of costs and ticket sales, shouldn't they? I am not even a fanboy but having them at primavera would be just glorious. I can definitely see the appeal for their core audience, the same who will buy the tickets for the smile, massive attack and so on

nowhere near

DM are anchored in synth, wave and Indie audiences and have airplay on many radio stations maing them appealing even to casual listeners. They sell out stadiums.

Tool are a band firmly situated in metal and prog audiences who have by means of aesthetics crossed over into hip music magazines in the 90s but have lost that momentum in their long abscence. They have a large fanbase that is also very enthusiastic about them, but they are not the band that would bring many people outside of their core audience to a festival

Also, where exactly does it say that Tool are announcing their tour tomorrow? Couldn't find anything.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

nowhere near

DM are anchored in synth, wave and Indie audiences and have airplay on many radio stations maing them appealing even to casual listeners. They sell out stadiums.

Tool are a band firmly situated in metal and prog audiences who have by means of aesthetics crossed over into hip music magazines in the 90s but have lost that momentum in their long abscence. They have a large fanbase that is also very enthusiastic about them, but they are not the band that would bring many people outside of their core audience to a festival

Also, where exactly does it say that Tool are announcing their tour tomorrow? Couldn't find anything.

Yep ok but the primavera guys are deep down music nerds just like us I wouldn’t underestimate their roots in edgy/dark music. 

it could have been argued that also Depeche mode, despite not having ever released bad albums, we’re not exactly at the peak of their hype before the recent album &tour cycle 

34 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

so did Calvin Harris tbf

True but I saw that booking (or other big names like Halsey, Måneskin and Skrillex) as an attempt to attract new mainstream audience (and thinking about the crowd of last year's Saturday I think they achieved that goal).

Tbh I don't see Tool main audience matching a lot with the "new normal" and the classic Primavera audiences.

29 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

One of three things is going to happen tomorrow:

Tool announce their tour dates, not at PS, PS does nothing.

Tool announce their tour dates with PS, PS do a separate announcement for them Depeche Mode style.

Tool announce their tour dates with PS, PS do a full line up drop.

I reckon it's the first. But if I huff some copium it might be the second.

I'd take that one, with no ice, please

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, albidc said:

True but I saw that booking (or other big names like Halsey, Måneskin and Skrillex) as an attempt to attract new mainstream audience (and thinking about the crowd of last year's Saturday I think they achieved that goal).

Tbh I don't see Tool main audience matching a lot with the "new normal" and the classic Primavera audiences.

I think that people need to understand that those artists like Calvin Harris, Maneskin and Halsey were brought mostly for the Madrid public. I’ve been to Primavera Madrid and the public there was completely different from the one you can find in Barcelona. It was full of influencers and people that came for big artists, and I think that if Madrid thing worked, we would have more commercial and pop this year, but because it’s only Barcelona and Porto (that have a long and faithful audience) it’s not going to be full of those pop artists. I think we can expect something like Karol G, Bad Bunny and Travis Scott plus some smaller commercial artists, but that’s it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Createur said:

I would love to see Tool to be announced on their own for Primavera tomorrow - just for the reactions on the internet 😁

Joking aside. If Tool is announced tomorrow because they are booked for Primavera and want to announce their whole tour like Depeche Mode last year AND the rest of the line-up isn't ready to announce just yet then I guess they'll announce a "classic" headliner alongside them to not confuse the audience too much. Pulp comes to my mind.

Funny to see how a lot of people are trying to convince us and themselves why Tool should or shouldn't be on the poster (they should obviously) and then realizing I do the exact same for artists such as Karol G.

Hoping we will all find our own favorite artist on the poster and let's not focus on the ones we don't like as there will be many alternatives anyway.

Edited by Marty76
Typo
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I think that people need to understand that those artists like Calvin Harris, Maneskin and Halsey were brought mostly for the Madrid public. I’ve been to Primavera Madrid and the public there was completely different from the one you can find in Barcelona. It was full of influencers and people that came for big artists, and I think that if Madrid thing worked, we would have more commercial and pop this year, but because it’s only Barcelona and Porto (that have a long and faithful audience) it’s not going to be full of those pop artists. I think we can expect something like Karol G, Bad Bunny and Travis Scott plus some smaller commercial artists, but that’s it.  

Thank god it flopped!

I think they will announce in Italy next. Hope is another discerning crowd.

If Turin does happen next year, it should strengthen their ability to get good names on a 3-run series.

Edited by xxialac

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

Know those songs well - too well. If you’re of a certain age, it felt like that album was playing on an endless loop in every vaguely hip coffee place. 

If you were of that certain age then hip coffee places weren't much of a thing so must have been extra hip 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

People are asking Primavera on their today post on Twitter and Instagram if the post is connected to the lineup reveal, and Primavera Team just replies with curious emojis. Usually they wouldn’t even reply to that type of comments. I guess something is really coming either tomorrow or next week. 

I definitely feel like we're less than two weeks away, probably next week with an announcement that the line up will drop next tuesday?