1 major change

Fred Zepplin

4 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

More focus on the paying punter than hospitality/staff/crew. There seems so much focus on giving hospitality/staff/crew the best camping sports and nearer to the main areas, more than there ever has been I think - just look at what they have don't to Pylon/Rivermead this year, I just don't know why it was necessary

Staff/crew really need to be close to where they work (hospitality can do one). The core Glade crew have been moved out to Pylon this year, some Green fields crew with live in vehicles are going to be put in Bath and West - which is frankly disgusting - they need to be in the Green Fields where they work. 

Punters don't need to at any specific place at any specific time.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

some Green fields crew with live in vehicles are going to be put in Bath and West - which is frankly disgusting - they need to be in the Green Fields where they work. 

I'm gobsmacked to hear this. I've heard that GFL are rattling some feathers at the moment but this is next level.

I guess they'll have transport provided on/off site, which could have some upsides?

This isn't the place to discuss but I'm looking forward to hearing some gossip down on the farm (and more likely afterwards).

Interesting....

9 hours ago, Isaact said:

I have to disagree with you entirely on all of this.

Glastonbury is the best night festival in the UK (by a country mile, absolutely nowhere else has the diversity of genres, scenes, and number of stages).

It's an OK day festival, with lineups getting consistently worse year on year.

The issue it has is budget it seems - the day lineup is getting worse and worse as Glastonbury just can't compete with even Reading and Leeds in terms of the offers it can make to artists.

If you look outside the UK then it gets even worse - Primavera for example consistently has a better day lineup than Glastonbury.

I'd argue the booking team (particularly for Pyramid and Other) are getting a bit lost. The identity isn't really there any more, they are getting pulled in too many directions, and they can't really pull it off any more, bar the occasional amazing get (like Elton).

This year's Pyramid lineup, for example, is the weakest I have ever seen at Glastonbury.

And they need to make a decision on whether they lean into the pop element more - I think they genuinely have to, particularly heritage pop. Take a few lessons from Hoopla (which has gone from strength to strength every year) - get the Guilty Pleasures lot to book an entire stage, have it dedicated to pop and heritage pop, and just get on with it. This halfway house is doing nobody any favours.

Whereas the night festival genuinely gets better every year. I can't think of a better night lineup than this year.

I identified one of the problems you have, the Pyramid is a mess now, but I'd go in the opposite direction in solving them - I'd actually de-cheese it. 

Mighty Hoopla is a great festival, master at what it does and I loved it when I went the other year, but I dunno if I want Glastonbury to go too far in that kind of direction. A bit of pop I'm happy with, it's meant to be a festival of contemporary performing arts and it makes sense to me to have contemporary pop in there. Raye this year adds up as a Pyramid booking for example, Rina Sawayama over in Woodsies is maybe a bit cult but pop, I dunno why Self Esteem isn't on this year but she should be, that kind of thing.

But in general I figure the Pyramid is in a bit of a state and wants a refresh. 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Staff/crew really need to be close to where they work (hospitality can do one). The core Glade crew have been moved out to Pylon this year, some Green fields crew with live in vehicles are going to be put in Bath and West - which is frankly disgusting - they need to be in the Green Fields where they work. 

Punters don't need to at any specific place at any specific time.

I’m not crew, but I’m sad to hear this. If the people that make the festival such a great event are slowly being squeezed out it will lose some magic.

35 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

I'm gobsmacked to hear this. I've heard that GFL are rattling some feathers at the moment but this is next level.

I guess they'll have transport provided on/off site, which could have some upsides?

This isn't the place to discuss but I'm looking forward to hearing some gossip down on the farm (and more likely afterwards).

Interesting....

There's more, but as you said, not the place to discuss it.

15 hours ago, Sack truck said:

The phone signal improving changed the festival as fair bit for me in the time i've been going. A lot less human interaction as now, while milling about or waiting on stuff , instead of striking up conversation, people are on their phones in some capacity

I love taking my old skool burner phone and switching off from the nonsense for 5 days.

Honestly it’s a difficult one for me. The flags take the absolute piss these days, and contribute to the lack of people dancing at main stages that can be a vibe killer. Seeing the 2013 highlights it’s been so weird to see the main stages without flags everywhere.

Also, with the camping chair and picnic blanket w*nkers in the main bit, I’d love for some rules on what you can and can’t bring past a certain point. If you wanna sit at the back with some scrumpy, that’s fine, but blocking people either with your Waitrose spread or flag is taking the piss. I do like how hands off security feel at glasto though, so I don’t really know how you’d enforce it.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

11 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Honestly it’s a difficult one for me. The flags take the absolute piss these days, and contribute to the lack of people dancing at main stages that can be a vibe killer. Seeing the 2013 highlights it’s been so weird to see the main stages without flags everywhere.

Also, with the camping chair and picnic blanket w*nkers in the main bit, I’d love for some rules on what you can and can’t bring past a certain point. If you wanna sit at the back with some scrumpy, that’s fine, but blocking people either with your Waitrose spread or flag is taking the piss. I do like how hands off security feel at glasto though, so I don’t really know how you’d enforce it.

I agree, that's why I said dedicate them their own stage, interesting you think there wasn't many flags at 2013... I seem to remember getting constantly pissed off with the I love sausages flag back in the blur year... 2009? But there probably wasn't many then. 

Edited by sprocketrocket

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

some Green fields crew with live in vehicles are going to be put in Bath and West - which is frankly disgusting - they need to be in the Green Fields where they work. 

this seems completely f**ked to me - working in, arguably, the most important part of the site and having to leave and come back must, at the very least, completely sap your vibe.

at worst it must be like, why the f**k even bother?

17 hours ago, chazwwe said:

My 1 change that is different from ' less people' a proper in/ out system for the Pyramid stage front pit. Be it in on the right/ out on the left or a in/out gate path. The crush between some sub headline/ headline acts have been anxiety inducing.

Am out of up votes but, yes, precisely this. It's quite a miracle there have been no serious incidents with that crush.

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I love taking my old skool burner phone and switching off from the nonsense for 5 days.

You can do that with a smartphone, of course.

Once through the gates I switch off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, all notifications except WhatsApp and SMS. I don't look at a single webpage, tweet, email or anything else for 5+ days. I use it solely to message Mrs Benny at home once or twice a day, and to keep in touch with my gang for meet-ups etc.

It's a glorious break from the absurdity of modern life outside the superfence.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

this'll be controversial......

don't let people who got tickets this year, buy tickets for next year. so we get a new crowd.

I don't think it's that controversial, but the reality is when you've got millions trying for tickets, removing 200k from the pool really wouldn't have that big an impact

If people genuinely wanted fair ticketing systems, it would be a ballot with the option to buy for a group on a 24hr link before being re-rolled.

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I don't think it's that controversial, but the reality is when you've got millions trying for tickets, removing 200k from the pool really wouldn't have that big an impact

If people genuinely wanted fair ticketing systems, it would be a ballot with the option to buy for a group on a 24hr link before being re-rolled.

I didn't say it would be fairer, mostly that it would change the people who go.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Less people on site seems to be the most popular change and IMO the most obvious one .

Will be interesting to see what next week is like (i.e if last year was a one off) - if its like 2022 again I may have to reconsider my continuing attendance at the festival.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I didn't say it would be fairer, mostly that it would change the people who go.

I don't see how. There are more unsuccessful people than successful every year.

Some years we get tickets some years we don't. It's not like the same 200k people are going every year