1 major change

Fred Zepplin

Was talking to someone the other day about Glastonbury and they said if you could make 1 major change what would it be. I first thought it being closer to my home would be good rather than a 5 hour journey. However the farm just works perfectly with the Tor in the distance and the festival being in the valley and even though it is a pain to get there the journey is part of the experience. Getting snacks together and the playlist sorted is fun.

I decided on when the festival takes place would be my major change. If the festival was end of July or August I think that would work better for me. The festival is my major holiday of the year so having it so early leaves the summer holidays drawn out and now I have the kids wouldn't have problems bringing them out of school. 

What 1 major change would you make?

EDIT: Nevermind beer, I'd also reduce numbers.

My first was 2008 and it honestly feels like a different festival thinking back. Tickets were easy to get, we rocked up and camped at pennards with no issue, nice big pile of firewood to take from and just everyone excited for the weekend and chilled.

Now it just seems like mayhem on arrival with everyone trying to squeeze into tiny spaces.

Not sure what the number difference is but last year felt far too busy for me, and if it's similar this year I think I'll stick to smaller festivals going forward 

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

Wholeheartedly concur with the reduction in numbers. I've only been going since 2013 but the difference over the past ten years has been quite staggering.

Missed out last year so am a bit concerned at how 2023 will compared to 2019. My guess is it will be even more busy and difficult to get about the place. 

9 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

agree with @Skip997 the only major change i would make is less people, i think the over crowding is what is destroying the festival now.

Too many people is the most likely reason I'll stop going. Last year was absolutely ridiculous and I guess this year will be no better. 

My hope is that the revamped SH may spread the crowd a bit.

This will be unpopular but I'd drop the hefty night program/change scale/style of SE corner.

IMHO current Glasto is a incredible day festival with an OK night festival tagged on, and the two crowds do not really gel together with the night folk disinterested all day and the day folk not really with the new night vibe. Dampens down the days and the gurning corner sucks the life out of the campsites/rest of site at night. Don't get me wrong I enjoy both things but think they work better approached in a more dedicated fashion. This would probably also mean a crush-allaying reduction in capacity and maybe even old camping reopened as new - the Dragon/etc fields were always rather special. 

• Like 1

Just now, frostypaw said:

This will be unpopular but I'd drop the hefty night program/change scale/style of SE corner.

IMHO current Glasto is a incredible day festival with an OK night festival tagged on,

I'll reverse this. Glastonbury is an incredible night festival, with an OK day festival tagged on.

2 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

This would probably also mean a crush-allaying reduction in capacity and maybe even old camping reopened as new - the Dragon/etc fields were always rather special. 

Oi

leave my Dragon Field alone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Too many people is the most likely reason I'll stop going. Last year was absolutely ridiculous and I guess this year will be no better. 

My hope is that the revamped SH may spread the crowd a bit.

I'm honestly disappointed numbers didn't get reduced back down after last year. It genuinely will be my last if it's the same again this year as it's just not enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

agree with @Skip997 the only major change i would make is less people, i think the over crowding is what is destroying the festival now.

Not being a dick, I promise, but destroying?

Impacting on one's enjoyment, ability to get to things they want to see etc, I get. But I'm pretty sure Glastonbury is not being destroyed as a success or a business model by having too many people.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'm honestly disappointed numbers didn't get reduced back down after last year. It genuinely will be my last if it's the same again this year as it's just not enjoyable.

It was only 3k more public tickets last year. I really don't think that was the cause of the issues. 

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

IMHO current Glasto is a incredible day festival with an OK night festival tagged on, and the two crowds do not really gel together with the night folk disinterested all day and the day folk not really with the new night vibe. Dampens down the days and the gurning corner sucks the life out of the campsites/rest of site at night. Don't get me wrong I enjoy both things but think they work better approached in a more dedicated fashion. This would probably also mean a crush-allaying reduction in capacity and maybe even old camping reopened as new - the Dragon/etc fields were always rather special. 

It's funny, and only good, how differently we all see things!

The principal reason why I don't think anything will quite touch Glastonbury for me is because it's probably unique in the scale and quality of the two halves - day and night.

I watch bands from 1130-0000h. I dance to DJs from 0000-0600h. I go to bed for three hours or so, and then get to do all that again. I cannot think of anywhere else that would enable me to do that, 'always' finding stuff I want to see/dance to in those hours. It's quite unbelievable.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'll reverse this. Glastonbury is an incredible night festival, with an OK day festival tagged on.

Oi

leave my Dragon Field alone

That used to be camping - you can't even go in it anymore so with the greatest politeness and kindness I suspect you don't know the dragon field.

The other bit kinda exemplifies my point - it's different folk. If you want to put Glasto's night festival in perspective do a Boomtown/Noisily etc.

Two things, both to do with crowd control, that would either be prohibitively expensive or against the current licence:

1. Expand the capacity of the Other Stage by removing half of Oxylers. Rename it to 'Oxylers' stage and treat it as the second main stage: 6 headliner announcements across Pyramid and Oxylers and 6 headline acts on the poster.

2. Have a late night rejig - split Block 9, move The Common and expand Shangri-La: move the NYC Downlow and Genosys Sound System to where San Remo is currently, move The Common over to the field currently occupied by NYC Downlow and Genosys. Expand Shangri-La in to the field previously occupied by The Common. No new Shangri-La venues, just more spread out. 

Edited by ProperTea
  • Like 1

Just now, frostypaw said:

That used to be camping - you can't even go in it anymore so with the greatest politeness and kindness I suspect you don't know the dragon field.

I've been part of the team that coordinates the Dragon Field since at least 2016 (memories not too good). I'll be part of that team again this year. My official role is traffic management and Dragon Field steward.

It's current purpose is to house overflow crew from the Greenfields and the odd tipi field crew.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I've been part of the team that coordinates the Dragon Field since at least 2016 (memories not too good). I'll be part of that team again this year. My official role is traffic management and Dragon Field steward.

It's current purpose is to house overflow crew from the Greenfields and the odd tipi field crew.

Ah my apologies, I assumed normal punter as there are so very many of those compared to folk in your position.

It used to be normal punter camping and a very interesting crowd.