Bearded Theory 2024

Whilst I'm not underwhelmed, I couldn't say I was whelmed either.

Picks for me, Dinosaur Jr, Ibibio Sound Machine, Jane Weaver, Pip Blom and a couple of others plus some favourites like Ferocious Dog and Beans On Toast.

And of course there are acts that I will need to investigate (never heard of) like Full Flower Moon Band (like the name!) and a lot more to come.

Stupidly excited for Jane's. Bit nervous though because they pulled out last time I was due to see them at a festival (it was about 35 years ago so I need to get over it).

Playlist from the last full (not shortened festival) show they did in March this year.

Stop!
No One's Leaving
Ain't No Right
Whores
Pigs in Zen
Had a Dad
Ted, Just Admit It...
Then She Did...
Obvious
Chip Away
Kettle Whistle
Been Caught Stealing
Mountain Song
Three Days

Encore:
Jane Says
(Eric Avery on guitar)
Ocean Size

Back in the midst of time I saw them at Manchester International 2 and it remains in my top 5 gigs ever list.

10 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I'll have to do some investigating, I'm not familiar enough with most of these acts. I'll watch this space for recommendations.

On the basis of nothing more than liking the name I've checked out Full Flower Moon Band and they are rather good. Aussie band from Brisbane (as far as I can work out) great dirty rock sound. They are going on "ze-list"

I love JA but find it hard to get excited about them after two previous pull-outs.

By far the worst one was at Reading 2011. I came down for the day on my own, essentially to see them, only for Dave to come out at the start time to say they wouldn't be playing as Perry had a sore throat. I got in that much of a huff that I refused to watch the Strokes who were headlining the main stage (and I who I quite like), ending up falling down a ditch while leaving the site and sat on the night bus back to Liverpool with a ridiculous amount of pain from cracked ribs.

50 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

On the basis of nothing more than liking the name I've checked out Full Flower Moon Band and they are rather good. Aussie band from Brisbane (as far as I can work out) great dirty rock sound. They are going on "ze-list"

Yes, agreed, definitely on my potentials....

27 minutes ago, jenko said:

I love JA but find it hard to get excited about them after two previous pull-outs.

By far the worst one was at Reading 2011. I came down for the day on my own, essentially to see them, only for Dave to come out at the start time to say they wouldn't be playing as Perry had a sore throat. I got in that much of a huff that I refused to watch the Strokes who were headlining the main stage (and I who I quite like), ending up falling down a ditch while leaving the site and sat on the night bus back to Liverpool with a ridiculous amount of pain from cracked ribs.

I was there that year, was gutted but watched mighty mighty boss tones instead so not all bad 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Where we placing them though? Woodland headliner? Pallet Thursday?

Not sure where any of the six names in biggest type will go, apart from Janes who will surely be on the Pallet. Think Orbital could pull off the main stage as well. Amyl, Future Islands, Dinosaur Jr and Sleaford Mods all feel like Meadow Stage headliners to me but I’ve just booked four headliners for three days there….chances some could be Pallet subs and there’s at least one more headliner tba?

1 minute ago, riverwise said:

Not sure where any of the six names in biggest type will go, apart from Janes who will surely be on the Pallet. Think Orbital could pull off the main stage as well. Amyl, Future Islands, Dinosaur Jr and Sleaford Mods all feel like Meadow Stage headliners to me but I’ve just booked four headliners for three days there….chances some could be Pallet subs and there’s at least one more headliner tba?

Amyl and Sleaford feel like they could/should be bracketing Idles or Soft Play as main stage headliners.

17 minutes ago, riverwise said:

I'd have Orbital down in the Meadow 10.45/11pm slot after the main stage finishes, ideally.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, OKMess said:

Amyl and Sleaford feel like they could/should be bracketing Idles or Soft Play as main stage headliners.

I really don't see Sleaford headlining a main stage anywhere ever. Amyl maybe but only on Thursday?

Could we have none of the main pallet headliners? Or is Jane's a def?

3 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I really don't see Sleaford headlining a main stage anywhere ever. Amyl maybe but only on Thursday?

Could we have none of the main pallet headliners? Or is Jane's a def?

I would say Jane's are 100% headlining unless they've massively expanded the fest. 

I didn't mean Sleaford or Amyl headlining mainstage. I meant one of them sub-headline and one headlining the 2nd stage (i.e. bracketing) with Soft Play or Idles headlining Pallet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Where we placing them though? Woodland headliner? Pallet Thursday?

My guess would be Meadow or Magical Sounds replacement headliner. I would be very surprised to see them in the Woodland with the light show they usually put on.

Could do the Pallet but I wouldn't want to see them in any other slot other headline.

Edited by Johnnyseven

5 minutes ago, OKMess said:

I would say Jane's are 100% headlining unless they've massively expanded the fest. 

I didn't mean Sleaford or Amyl headlining mainstage. I meant one of them sub-headline and one headlining the 2nd stage (i.e. bracketing) with Soft Play or Idles headlining Pallet. 

JA definitely headlining the Pallet.