2023 Comedy recommendations

DeanoL

Here we go then, one final time. Good funny stuff. In the Cabaret tent unless otherwise noted. I'm also skipping over acts that people probably know like Dom Joly, Jonathan Pie, Adam Hills, Phil Wang, Ivo Graham and Jamali Maddix as you probably already know if you like them.

Friday
Marcus Du Sautoy (1200-1250, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday and Sunday) - he's a great Maths writer with a knack for performing as well. More a kids show really but good fun.
George Egg's Set Menu (1340-1440, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday and Sunday)  - He cooks amazing food while talking about it and with whatever he can legally use in a tent. Then you get to eat it.
James Acaster in conversation with Nish Kumar (1500-1545) - wins the prize for most obvious "let's do something so we can get a ticket to the festival" event of 2023. I suspect this will be either hilarious or a complete train wreck.
Stephen Frost Improv Allstars (1520-1620, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday) - brilliant improvisers, been at every festival at least since I started going in 2003. Not caught them the past couple of years and massively regret it now Andy Smart is away. 
Maween Rizwan with Musicians and Dancers (2320-0000 also Sat 2130-2210) - I don't know if that's the title of the show or a literal description. I know he does songs and dance routines in his shows but this could be something you won't see elsewhere...
Frank Sanazi (0020-0050) - Man doing Frank Sinatra songs as Hitler. Yes it's offensive. Also funny. Weirdly the guy behind him is doing his Neil Diamond act the Sunday but that involves neither comedy or fascism and is just a straight up tribute act.
Rob Kemp - Elvis Dead (0055-0150) - Rob acts out the entirety of Evil Dead 2 through the medium of Elvis songs. He has the voice for it and it's brilliant.

Saturday
The Guardian Live Interview (1205-1255) - They are doing this all three days, Friday is Sharleen Spiteri and Sunday is Mel C. The Saturday one doesn't list anyone so is technically a TBC. (Jarvis?) (Edit - this is probably Queen's of the Stone Age)
Ian Stone (1415-1445) - Jeremy Hardy is away, Marcus Brigstocke and Steve Gribben don't get booked here anymore, so it's Ian and Nish as the only ones left getting angry about the Tories outside of the Leftfield.
Marcel Lucont's Cabaret Fantastique (2030-2110) - comedy French character act (the character is French, not Alexis) who does poems and songs and all sorts.
Andrew O'Neil (0015-0045, also Sunday 2230-2300 and Friday Labortatory Stage 1700-1745) - complete off-beat, occasionally musical, satanic whimsy

Sunday
Stuart Goldsmith (1705-1735) - one of the best stand-ups in the UK for my money
Flo & Joan (1815-1845) - great musical comedy duo
John Robertson - The Dark Room (2305-2355) - this is one of the greatest shows out there, an interactive choose your own adventure game presided over by a terrifying gamesmaster and the chance to win a flamboyant potato or a tin of beans. I'd recommend whole-heartedly as one of the greatest things you'll see all weekend. But he's doing it just once, and it'll clash with Elton (because Elton will not finish on time). This is my worst clash of the festival. Maybe he'll do a set a Mavericks. 

There we go - may do another post for circus later in the week.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

John Robertson - The Dark Room (2305-2355) - this is one of the greatest shows out there, an interactive choose your own adventure game presided over by a terrifying gamesmaster and the chance to win a flamboyant potato or a tin of beans. I'd recommend whole-heartedly as one of the greatest things you'll see all weekend. But he's doing it just once, and it'll clash with Elton (because Elton will not finish on time). This is my worst clash of the festival. Maybe he'll do a set a Mavericks. 

This sounds amazing. Why do I have to be working during it?? 😭

6 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

This sounds amazing. Why do I have to be working during it?? 😭

Swap shifts if you can! Funniest act I've ever seen at a festival. Saw him at Bluedot in 2019, also late Sunday night. Ended the weekend on a proper high 🤣🍍

15 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Here we go then, one final time. Good funny stuff. In the Cabaret tent unless otherwise noted. I'm also skipping over acts that people probably know like Dom Joly, Jonathan Pie, Adam Hills, Phil Wang, Ivo Graham and Jamali Maddix as you probably already know if you like them.

Friday
Marcus Du Sautoy (1200-1250, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday and Sunday) - he's a great Maths writer with a knack for performing as well. More a kids show really but good fun.
George Egg's Set Menu (1340-1440, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday and Sunday)  - He cooks amazing food while talking about it and with whatever he can legally use in a tent. Then you get to eat it.
James Acaster in conversation with Nish Kumar (1500-1545) - wins the prize for most obvious "let's do something so we can get a ticket to the festival" event of 2023. I suspect this will be either hilarious or a complete train wreck.
Stephen Frost Improv Allstars (1520-1620, Astrolabe, also same time Saturday) - brilliant improvisers, been at every festival at least since I started going in 2003. Not caught them the past couple of years and massively regret it now Andy Smart is away. 
Maween Rizwan with Musicians and Dancers (2320-0000 also Sat 2130-2210) - I don't know if that's the title of the show or a literal description. I know he does songs and dance routines in his shows but this could be something you won't see elsewhere...
Frank Sanazi (0020-0050) - Man doing Frank Sinatra songs as Hitler. Yes it's offensive. Also funny. Weirdly the guy behind him is doing his Neil Diamond act the Sunday but that involves neither comedy or fascism and is just a straight up tribute act.
Rob Kemp - Elvis Dead (0055-0150) - Rob acts out the entirety of Evil Dead 2 through the medium of Elvis songs. He has the voice for it and it's brilliant.

Saturday
The Guardian Live Interview (1205-1255) - They are doing this all three days, Friday is Sharleen Spiteri and Sunday is Mel C. The Saturday one doesn't list anyone so is technically a TBC. (Jarvis?) (Edit - this is probably Queen's of the Stone Age)
Ian Stone (1415-1445) - Jeremy Hardy is away, Marcus Brigstocke and Steve Gribben don't get booked here anymore, so it's Ian and Nish as the only ones left getting angry about the Tories outside of the Leftfield.
Marcel Lucont's Cabaret Fantastique (2030-2110) - comedy French character act (the character is French, not Alexis) who does poems and songs and all sorts.
Andrew O'Neil (0015-0045, also Sunday 2230-2300 and Friday Labortatory Stage 1700-1745) - complete off-beat, occasionally musical, satanic whimsy

Sunday
Stuart Goldsmith (1705-1735) - one of the best stand-ups in the UK for my money
Flo & Joan (1815-1845) - great musical comedy duo

There we go - may do another post for circus later in the week.

Agree with lots of these (especially Flo & Joan, I will be there and singing along!), but disappointed that James Acaster (who I absolutely love) is paired with Nish Kumar who I sadly just find irritating.

15 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Amazing run!

Thanks @deanol.  I do think the theatre and circus areas are not given the plaudits they deserve, as there are some world class acts on there.

I will definitely add some of these to the list.  I have seen Fank Sanazi previously and the first time, when we did not know what to expect, creased us all up when he came on and started singing.  It is definitely worth a visit.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Sooo. Do we get your recommendations for Circus soon? 🙂

Will probably be next week now - that one requires more work as I don't see much circus outside of the festival.

(For context: I was at a local comedy night last night, at another one tonight, seeing four comedy shows at a gaming expo the weekend, then running my own monthly comedy night on Monday...)

• Thanks 1

Another upvote for Stuart Goldsmith.  After Stewart Lee, the funniest material I've ever heard.

Ones to avoid IMO = Paul Foot & Nina Conti.  Both rubbish.

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Another upvote for Stuart Goldsmith.  After Stewart Lee, the funniest material I've ever heard.

Ones to avoid IMO = Paul Foot & Nina Conti.  Both rubbish.

Paul Foot can be hit and miss, but when he hits, man does he.

Nina Conti is rubbish though. Not even that good at ventriloquism 

• 2 weeks later...