The Unofficial eFests Meet-up

Crazyfool01

15 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I quite like this idea too. Like a giant game of Guess Who?

I wonder how everyone imagines the other people before they meet.

I found I have always been wildly inaccurate with ages, which became very quickly apparent! 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Is anyone feeling like they might be too nervous to attend ? 

I'll probably get a bit of garden variety anxiety and start worrying about "Will i be awkward? Will it be awkward in general, i hope people like me, i don't know anyone there, everybody probably knows everybody, will they even remember any of my posts? what if they remember my posts and its not good?" etc  until I remind myself that chances are, these are thoughts that a lot of people will be having ( or have had in their first meet), if someone is willing to put themselves out there and go to a meet, there's a high chance that they are a decent, friendly person and people are a lot nicer in real life than their portrayal on the internet - not that any of you are twats, you're all grand.

2 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

I'll probably get a bit of garden variety anxiety and start worrying about "Will i be awkward? Will it be awkward in general, i hope people like me, i don't know anyone there, everybody probably knows everybody, will they even remember any of my posts? what if they remember my posts and its not good?" etc  until I remind myself that chances are, these are thoughts that a lot of people will be having ( or have had in their first meet), if someone is willing to put themselves out there and go to a meet, there's a high chance that they are a decent, friendly person and people are a lot nicer in real life than their portrayal on the internet - not that any of you are twats, you're all grand.

there might be the odd post that people remember ... but its really not a massive basis for discussion ... in a field with a few drinks involved people are pretty unlikely to remember who posts what ... unless youve caused major controversy ... even then itll soon be forgotten because people are in a place they love and amongst friends . 

50 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

I found I have always been wildly inaccurate with ages, which became very quickly apparent! 

That's so true. My main concern before the first meet I ever went to was I'd end up being with a group of people half my age. Luckily there's quite a wide age range in reality.

34 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

itll soon be forgotten because people are in a place they love and amongst friends

This really is the fundamental point that should be remembered for anybody getting anxious about going.

Social anxiety can be a bastard until you realise that all you're doing is gaslighting yourself and has no basis in reality. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

This really is the fundamental point that should be remembered for anybody getting anxious about going.

Social anxiety can be a bastard until you realise that all you're doing is gaslighting yourself and has no basis in reality. 

this is so true, I have only made it to two meets up to that point I walked by a couple of times, before I worked up to courage to "jump in." As a mostly lurker and only occasional poster I thought it was going to be all the regular names on here and that us "others" would be a bit outside, but no, its has been a great experience and I'm so sorry I hadn't taken the plunge years earlier. If you are reading this tread and are on the fence, please come.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 5/18/2023 at 6:58 AM, Crazyfool01 said:

Is anyone feeling like they might be too nervous to attend ? 

I may have got carried away with the below. I'm less gobby and more shy in meat space. I may see you all there. We'll see.

Always. And I've been attending since. hmmm, can't actually remember. First couple at least were Cider Bus ones. The first time I can remember saying to the couple I'd travelled with, "I'm off to meet some strangers from the internet, come along if you like", and getting weird looks from them.

Deffo remember the year I started a, "Woe is me, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it this year", type thread, making it, and getting a lot of love at the meet. Overwhelming. That was at R&F. 2015

I always worry that more people remember me from past meets than I remember them. Crap at names and faces me. Never mind real names and faces as opposed to usernames and avatars.

Anyone else got into the habit of watching Mik Artistic at Croissant Neuf Bandstand before the meet?  Sure I met @scottie  there a couple of times with his Viking hat and tankard. Before that I remember his Native American headdress with all of the feathers and that. Apparently it had great cooling physics with the feathers channelling air down down the back of the body. And also kept the sun out of your eyes. But then that headgear was deemed cultural theft and I've never seen them at the festival since.

I didn't log in and/or pay attention for a couple or so days and this thread got to how many pages?

I do remember meeting @Neilat my first meet and stating that I loved the No Nonsense, My House My Rules approach that he took towards trolls, nazis, uber tories and the like. If you want to run a nice website and don't keep on top of it they can try and take over.  I stand by by that but it was a long while ago.

@Crazyfool01has never been anything else but an absolute gentleman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Always. And I've been attending since. hmmm, can't actually remember. First couple at least were Cider Bus ones. The first time I can remember saying to the couple I'd travelled with, "I'm off to meet some strangers from the internet, come along if you like", and getting weird looks from them.

Yep I know that look, TBH at this stage that look is part of the fun of the meet hahahah

Edited by donthaveacoolname

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Sure I met @scottie  there a couple of times with his Viking hat and tankard. 

Whatever happened to Scottie?  Says his id hasn’t been used since 2004! Sure I met him at the meet in 99 and bumped into him a couple of times since. 

32 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Whatever happened to Scottie?  Says his id hasn’t been used since 2004! Sure I met him at the meet in 99 and bumped into him a couple of times since. 

He's very much alive and kicking 🙂

14 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Wasn't he there at the 2019 meet?

Last time I spoke to him was at great length about his archery skills...

I believe he went off to start up his own ents magazine / site a few years ago?

I follow him on Instagram, he's still doing the archery, although I do believe he missed Glastonbury last year...

23 hours ago, Breeze said:

he went off to run his own magazine and has still given me lots of help when i've needed it, he ran efestivals for me; when i was in hospital, which was fantastic (i didn't need to give him any instruction cos he knew how it was done).

32 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I follow him on Instagram, he's still doing the archery, although I do believe he missed Glastonbury last year...

he missed it last year and will miss it this year too. he's doing well with the archery, and has recently got an electric campervan.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

he went off to run his own magazine and has still given me lots of help when i've needed it, he ran efestivals for me; when i was in hospital, which was fantastic (i didn't need to give him any instruction cos he knew how it was done).

And we doff our caps to him, he's a good fella 😉

22 minutes ago, clarkete said:

And we doff our caps to him, he's a good fella 😉

yeah, 100%  good egg, hes running a small festival in south devon next weekend, will try and find the deets.