Any sign of Pulp yet?

angelin

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

Just got in from Sheffield. 'Phenomenal' is the word, I think. I have waited so many years to see them, and the wait was worth it. Jarvis owned the stage and made it his domain. Hard to name a standout track because they were all performed so amazingly, but I did like the "rave set piece" of Sorted for E's & Wizz, complete with strobe lightning, lasers, smoke and their orchestra clad in bucket hats and blowing whistles and waving those clacker things! It went beyond a gig at times, and was very theatrical.

I thought the lasers and strobes would've looked better at an indoor show than at Finsbury when it was still light when that was played. I loved the raving orchestra though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Just back from Sheffield. Superb gig - Hawley was a sublime support and Pulp were brilliant. I’m so impressed that Jarvis just still has ‘it’.

Dont know if I want them going on with a revival gig forever , but Jarvis would have the Pyramid/Other stage eating out of his hand … they’d smash a headline slot.

Yep, last night was ace!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Just back from Sheffield. Superb gig - Hawley was a sublime support and Pulp were brilliant. I’m so impressed that Jarvis just still has ‘it’.

Dont know if I want them going on with a revival gig forever , but Jarvis would have the Pyramid/Other stage eating out of his hand … they’d smash a headline slot.

I must admit I wasn't bothered about Hawley, not my thing at all. But Pulp were great 

8 hours ago, angelin said:

They have deffo got to headline the other stage

I don't want them on the Other stage, they have got to be Pyramid or nothing. That field won't hold Pulp, whoever it's against. Pulp last played Glastonbury I 2011 so this is the only time at Glastonbury they would have been there. 

59 minutes ago, VCK said:

Just got in from Sheffield. 'Phenomenal' is the word, I think. I have waited so many years to see them, and the wait was worth it. Jarvis owned the stage and made it his domain. Hard to name a standout track because they were all performed so amazingly, but I did like the "rave set piece" of Sorted for E's & Wizz, complete with strobe lightning, lasers, smoke and their orchestra clad in bucket hats and blowing whistles and waving those clacker things! It went beyond a gig at times, and was very theatrical.

On the evidence of that supposed new song and how Jarvis said "see you next time" at the end, I have a strong feeling this tour wasn't "the encore", but they will be around for sometime yet. Long may this wonderful band continue.

Yeah I have no doubt that they'll tour next year but not as heavily. Get the money in first and then sub Glastonbury and a big Sheffield show is my thought. He's 61 next year and as much as he's still one of the best front man around today, he's not going to let Glastonbury go.

58 minutes ago, Dronx said:

Hillsborough park and a headline Glastonbury gig next year?

Really don’t think they’re gonna headline - I love em, we love em, but they’re just not quite at that level anymore, as shown by the gigs they were taking this year. And although I remain somewhat optimistic that they might show up next year as I’m sure they’d be happy to take a lower slot, I think them being in the too small to headline/too big to sub category may be what ends up stopping it happening, but hopefully not, as they’d just be an incredible sub, to literally anybody. 

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

I must admit I wasn't bothered about Hawley, not my thing at all. But Pulp were great 

I don't want them on the Other stage, they have got to be Pyramid or nothing. That field won't hold Pulp, whoever it's against. Pulp last played Glastonbury I 2011 so this is the only time at Glastonbury they would have been there. 

Yeah I have no doubt that they'll tour next year but not as heavily. Get the money in first and then sub Glastonbury and a big Sheffield show is my thought. He's 61 next year and as much as he's still one of the best front man around today, he's not going to let Glastonbury go.

They might go the way of Blur and The Libertines and disappear for a few years at a time, then return to do the odd tour and maybe put out some new stuff. Either way I hope last night wasn't the last time I get to see them because that was phenomenal.

That said I wouldn't really want a new album. We Love Life was the perfect conclusion to their discography. But more tours, yes please!

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Really don’t think they’re gonna headline - I love em, we love em, but they’re just not quite at that level anymore, as shown by the gigs they were taking this year. And although I remain somewhat optimistic that they might show up next year as I’m sure they’d be happy to take a lower slot, I think them being in the too small to headline/too big to sub category may be what ends up stopping it happening, but hopefully not, as they’d just be an incredible sub, to literally anybody. 

They headlined two major UK fests on this tour and sold out everywhere very quickly. Pyramid sub or Other headline may be more realistic but would anyone argue they'd be a weak Pyramid headliner if it actually did happen?

Edited by VCK

I love them but they'd be a weak headliner. I was at all 3 days of TRNSMT this year and their day was noticeably less busy than the Fender/1975 days. I think they'd be great obviously but not sure if their Pyramid headliner days have just squeezed by.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think you have to see that as they likely wanted to see if people took to their music still. Obviously they know their status etc but I can see there being a bit of them that were not quite the Oasis and Blur of that era for example, definitely not Oasis anyway and had the option to test the water first. You might as well take the paid gigs first and see if it works out.

28 minutes ago, VCK said:

They might go the way of Blur and The Libertines and disappear for a few years at a time, then return to do the odd tour and maybe put out some new stuff. Either way I hope last night wasn't the last time I get to see them because that was phenomenal.

That said I wouldn't really want a new album. We Love Life was the perfect conclusion to their discography. But more tours, yes please!

They headlined two major UK fests on this tour and sold out everywhere very quickly. Pyramid sub or Other headline may be more realistic but would anyone argue they'd be a weak Pyramid headliner if it actually did happen?

I don't see it, I think Pulp would have reunited since 2012 if they planned doing it again. I don't think I'd want to see Jarvis back when he is 66 as he will slow down. Added to that it is essentially 7 years Blur were away this time if you take the covid period in to it. I think for them it is strike when the irons hot. I think they will do Pyramid sub, I don't think Jarvis will accept not being on the main stage. Overall I wouldn't argue them being given the slot, but I don't think they will have to get that slot to take it.

6 hours ago, northernangel said:

I think you have to see that as they likely wanted to see if people took to their music still. Obviously they know their status etc but I can see there being a bit of them that were not quite the Oasis and Blur of that era for example, definitely not Oasis anyway and had the option to test the water first. You might as well take the paid gigs first and see if it works out.

I don't see it, I think Pulp would have reunited since 2012 if they planned doing it again. I don't think I'd want to see Jarvis back when he is 66 as he will slow down. Added to that it is essentially 7 years Blur were away this time if you take the covid period in to it. I think for them it is strike when the irons hot. I think they will do Pyramid sub, I don't think Jarvis will accept not being on the main stage. Overall I wouldn't argue them being given the slot, but I don't think they will have to get that slot to take it.

They would totally kill in that slot too! Pulp to sub in 24! Make it happen!

4 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

They would totally kill in that slot too! Pulp to sub in 24! Make it happen!

Yes. The situation for Pulp I feel is, they do a secret set this year they kill the buzz for a 24 set. Playing this year as well would have had 200k people let's just say feel much less need to pay for dates on their tour bar the hard-core Sheffield fans maybe. I might have just about paid but I'd have been very tempted if they played Glastonbury to sell Sheffield. Yes it would be a home town gig but a Glastonbury set would have felt like something you will ever see again whereas Sheffield...you might. I would expect stories to come out fairly early that they've been booked for a Saturday night penultimate Pyramid slot and the see you next year for me virtually seals it. There is no point waiting until 24 just to do a secret set but I think it'll just be two Sheffield Arena/a Hillsborough date and Glastonbury date as a festival exclusive for virtue of TRNSNT, Manchester, IOW and London being covered. I could at a stretch see Boardmasters or Victorious getting them too but I feel they may want it to be a special one and sign off at Glastonbury. If I was booking I'd probably just say screw it, book Rihanna, Dua Lipa and Pulp to headline but they won't.

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Pulp could potentially headline if it was some kind of final show ever. But that doesn’t seem like their jam.

Yes that's about the only way if they said they are done next year. I don't think they'll come back for a long time if at all after next year mind. I think Jarvis will go back and do his normal thing. He's not as active on the stage as he was so would you want them to continue for years down the line when the actual performance factor which is Pulp has somewhat gone?

I went to the Friday Sheffield gig, amazing fun.. Jarvis totally still has it and I loved the staging.

I wish they could headline Glastonbury.. no idea how well their popularity has held up over the years, we still adore them in Sheffield though ❤️

Edited by Pipine

10 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I wish they could headline Glastonbury.. no idea how their popularity has held up over the years, we still adore them in Sheffield though ❤️

I reckon they're on the level that people are more likely to put them in the conversation as a sub or Other Headliner, but that if they were announced as a Pyramid Headliner then people would get on board reasonably quickly. Especially if there was something special about it - final gig, only UK show, etc.

9 hours ago, incident said:

I reckon they're on the level that people are more likely to put them in the conversation as a sub or Other Headliner, but that if they were announced as a Pyramid Headliner then people would get on board reasonably quickly. Especially if there was something special about it - final gig, only UK show, etc.

Absolutely, they certainly wouldn’t be the smallest recent headliner and would put on a fantastic show. I still think very strong sub is more likely, but it would have to below the right act. 

13 hours ago, Pipine said:

I went to the Friday Sheffield gig, amazing fun.. Jarvis totally still has it and I loved the staging.

I wish they could headline Glastonbury.. no idea how well their popularity has held up over the years, we still adore them in Sheffield though ❤️

Given how quickly they sold out Finsbury and various other dates in a couple of hours I'd say they're pretty popular still.

If The Cure can headline then Pulp can.

• Upvote 1