Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

On 5/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, kalifire said:

1. People who're off their heads are annoying and get in the way

2. The festival is better now than it used to be

3. Emily is doing a brilliant job (I know that triggers certain people)

I agree with all 3, even though I've spent much of the last 29 festivals being annoying and in the way...and tbh I'm afraid that's quite likely to continue to a greater or lesser degree.

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

Environmentally we know it's the right thing to do and the environment is a big part of the festivals ethos so yes, it makes sense to me.

Coming from a meat eater I'd welcome it.

There are obviously sound ethical and environmental reasons however that could open up the possibility that Mozzer would want to come back...and I don't think that's a risk we can afford to take.

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Glastonbury isnt and has never been about banning stuff (apart from chinese lanterns) so something like a meat ban is just never going to happen. Its not in the ethos of the place to dictate too much. 

Wax flares

Nitrous oxide (although that hasn't worked too well)

Fireworks

Unlicensed sound systems

Animals

Certain people (yes this does happen)

So no Glastonbury isn't and never has been about banning things.

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Wax flares

Nitrous oxide (although that hasn't worked too well)

Fireworks

Unlicensed sound systems

Animals

Certain people (yes this does happen)

So no Glastonbury isn't and never has been about banning things.

All of those are obvious and apply to any licenced outdoor event of any kind

Pointless argument

Drugs are also banned but to say the festival looks the other way on these would be a huge understatement

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

This is exactly why Shambala did it.

They let their regular punters and crew vote on it before implementing it.

Are you sure?

I remember it being implemented, and then the vote came after the festival on whether to keep it.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, Another eforum account said:

I like the Sunday Seaguls - but what did they do during Covid/the fallow years? Do they come for a reccy first & tell their mates? 

they came to Bristol on their holidays. 😛 

15 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Get yourself in the craft and crap beer thread, a few recommendations in there! Failing that, any decent local beer shop would be able to suggest a few from their stock - I’m loath to recommend anyone go to Tesco but their craft offerings aren’t at all bad these days as well. They’ll have a couple of things nearing 10%, and dark 

Ah brilliant, it was beer I was looking for as well. Ales on site are pretty crap so need to stock up before - cheers 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Here's one that will be unpopular: Sparks are crap and dated. I roll my eyes when people start bigging them up to me just because they've watched Anette/ The Sparks Brothers.

Tsk try harder. 

Any opinion of a band is just that. Every band there has folks who like or dislike them.  

1 hour ago, Boilingtent said:

Glastonbury is falling behind in terms of production value. Festivals like boomtown offer something genuinely exciting in 2023 and are capable of delivering it to a massive audience. 

Maybe so, and the BT build is incredible, but look at the line-up comparison. Last year, in particular, the BT line up contained, with respect, no-one that would attract a particularly significant fee - so more money for the build. The live act to DJ ratio at BT is so much smaller than Glastonbury, and so GFL low fees notwithstanding, BT have made a decision to provide an incredible production rather than spend 'too much' of their budget on artists. 

Ben

17 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I’d be quite up for a meat free festival, it’s be fine. Loads of excellent veggie and vegan food there, let people try some different stuff, and have a window into a more sustainable lifestyle. 

It's not really the sort of place you want to go making major changes to your diet - energy levels already be all over the place, not to mention what it can do to your digestive system...

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Out of reactions

Fantastic opinion. I was on the edge of one at Stormzy (2019?), wow it was tame.

I think you need to manage your reactions .... you always seem to have run out or go Gold and get another one and support the iggy and the site 

Edited by Crazyfool01