Families will not be allowed in the notorious after-hours south-east corner after 10pm

Nice hymer

And if there had been an incident last year that involved kids in SE corner nobody would be arguing about this policy right now.

There was nothing in the festival report that even pointed towards this type of action being taken or recommended due to anything happening over the festival weekend?

27 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

And if there had been an incident last year that involved kids in SE corner nobody would be arguing about this policy right now.

There was nothing in the festival report that even pointed towards this type of action being taken or recommended due to anything happening over the festival weekend?

No one is arguing with the rule though. Just no need for the judges. It's irrelevant and unnecessary 

18 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

No one is arguing with the rule though. Just no need for the judges. It's irrelevant and unnecessary 

I mean it is relevant because a new rule has been imposed and this is a forum where things are discussed? see the quote below for why it is very much necessary

15 hours ago, IceCreamVan said:

I saw a woman with a child strapped to her front in SE corner around 4am one year, absolutely off her tits and no ear defenders on the kid. So it does happen. I also wouldn't feel comfortable narcing on her to a steward, but it really freaked me out at the time 

Kids in the SE corner just screams accident waiting to happen to me

20 minutes ago, gfa said:

I mean it is relevant because a new rule has been imposed and this is a forum where things are discussed? see the quote below for why it is very much necessary

Kids in the SE corner just screams accident waiting to happen to me

Judging parenting is not relevant whatsoever. Because bad parenting is bad parenting. So those accidents you're talking about could happen across the whole site. 

If you've got a little one who doesn't sleep for example, and at home you'd walk the streets or go for a drive. Why wouldn't you just go and have a wander around the late night areas...you're at glastonbury ffs!!! Land of the free! Does not make you selfish at all and it's down to you to take relative precautions (ear defenders/warm layers/avoiding the crowded areas). The buggies and trollies cause a hazard. Totally agree. Risk to everyone. That would be a completely valid reason for the rule among other reasons. But I think some people on this thread think that babies are going to get accidentally injected with needles or something 🤣🤣 if it's that unsafe then it's not safe for adults either and perhaps we should be judging that behaviour, not the parents.

Discuss the rule...yes. judge parents. Completely uncalled for. Some kids are absolute party animals and love that environment. I'll leave it up to the parents who know their child to decide what's best.

10 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

Can anyone clarify what age this means, my friend is bringing his teenage daughter this year and he's going to want to be down the SE corner with her, is this now not going to be allowed? Also do teenagers have different wristbands to adults? 

I’m pretty sure that under 12s don’t need a wrist band and over have a normal one. 

Glastonbury is a magical place for children but I don’t think they should be exposed to things you frequently see in the SEC, such as drug taking and people  in holes. No need for that, in my opinion. 

The vast majority of parents you see at Glastonbury are giving their kids the time of their lives. Sometimes you see the kids compromising to do what the adults want to do and vice versa - all fine. 

In 25 years of festivals I can only think of two examples where I was worried or really felt sorry for the kids. One was young kids getting trampled on, sleeping under coats in the dark, close to the crowded front of the woodlands stage at Latitude. Another was youngish teenagers we got chatting to with their (very high) parents lateish at the Glade, parents wandered off without them and the kids clearly would have preferred they hadn’t, had no money on them and didn’t seem entirely clear on where they were camping.

I think it’s a sensible rule but to be applied pragmatically. If someone is basically sober and going for a wander with their kids, keeping an eye on them, I wouldn’t judge them for that at all.

Fair play to anyone who parents responsibly at Glastonbury. I separately taking the kids to another festival where I care less about the line-up and barely drink but make sure the kids have an amazing time. Glastonbury I’m not sure I have the self-control!

On 3/3/2023 at 3:14 PM, DeanoL said:

(Given the stuff going on the Circus and Mavericks after 10pm, it can't be content-related...)

Reminded me of seeing Jim Jeffries in The Cabaret tent doing his Amsterdam Sex Shop Supermarket routine.

Got to the end and he (claimed to have just) realised that this wasn't his usual late night audience That it was actually late afternoon/early evening and that there were kids there.

Quite rightly (imo) he turned it 'round on the parents. "You should have left with your kids when it was obvious that this was a routine about a sex shop. And I think I may have been swearing a lot before I even started that particular anecdote. That's on you that is". Or words to that affect.

___

Worst child neglect I've ever witnessed at the festival was the time that some people had obviously just left their kids in their tents while they went wandering. Iirc it was so concerning that camp stewards were notified. They were gone the next day.

___

I was getting some "what are you doing here, you're the wrong age" looks and vibes whilst in the SE corner last year. I'm mid fifties ffs.

Edited by MrZigster

Fuck me stupid! I've read it all now! Do you really think that a very young child (with no adult consciousness) will be perpetually destroyed / deformed by a few nights out at Glastonbury in the SE corner? Really? That is nothing. As in fucking nothing at all! That's lightweight territory compared to an actual campaign to destroy / demolish a child. 

So, there I was at the back of 12.30 mass at the rear of the Holy family church in Small Heath in Birmingham. Did I hear that correctly? Did I? Did I hear a child in a pram shout out 'Don't hit me daddy, don't hit me daddy'.  Yes I did. I was also a child at the time also, so didn't know what to do. 

However, I do know now. I know that a stroll around the SE corner with a child at 2am does not make you a fucking demon. 

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I was getting some "what are you doing here, you're the wrong age" looks and vibes whilst in the SE corner last year. I'm mid fifties ffs.

Ugh, let's hope that's just part of the unusualness of last year. I'd hate to sense that any particular age group feel like any part of the festival is for 'them'. That's the complete opposite of the vibe I expect from Glastonbury.

That argument failed to stop me from being removed from the front row of Basil Brush, sadly.

Edited by kalifire

Hopefully helps with crowd control but tbh I've never noticed that many children/families there during the night.

Wish they would also ban chairs there, people sitting down in the Gas tower took up loads of room last year, was a factor in the big crushes near the outside of the venue and general over crowding throughout the area.

Hard to police etc but if people are asked not to take chairs into the SE would likely see a small drop in the number of people taking them there, plenty of places to sit and chill on the edges of the area 

Took my 12 year old on a tour of the SE corner in 2015, she loved the sights, sounds and vibes. It wasn’t too late, may even have been before the suggested 10pm cut off. Whilst I agree with many posters who are saying this new ‘rule’ doesn’t seem to be in the usual ethos of Glastonbury, I can’t say I feel too strongly about it. if I had taken my children when they were really young, I’m pretty certain late nights in SE corner would not have been on the agenda. Assuming you’ve already had a full day watching acts, you know how knackered you are come night time as an adult... enforcing that on your young children is a bit selfish. It is, however, your decision to make.

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fuck me stupid! I've read it all now! Do you really think that a very young child (with no adult consciousness) will be perpetually destroyed / deformed by a few nights out at Glastonbury in the SE corner? 

I don't want kids in the SE corner late at night as it'll potentially get in the way of my enjoyment if I'm entirely honest.  Not judging the parents. Some places just aren't suitable for children in my opinion. I know Glastonbury peace and love and all that but your kids aren't the most important things in the world, soz. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, Suprefan said:

I don't think they should wait until "something happens" before preventing something happening.

That said, the worst "parents doing drugs in front of their kids" I've ever seen was NOS on a Thursday afternoon around the Stone Circle. 

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

Ugh, let's hope that's just part of the unusualness of last year. I'd hate to sense that any particular age group feel like any part of the festival is for 'them'. That's the complete opposite of the vibe I expect from Glastonbury.

That argument failed to stop me from being removed from the front row of Basil Brush, sadly.

I wasn't allowed to pass through the Greenpeace Kids bit this year as a solo male. Hadn't even noticed it was the kids bit at the time. A bit over zealous I thought. I'm sure I've used that route to and from the railway line for years previously with no bother.