Families will not be allowed in the notorious after-hours south-east corner after 10pm

Nice hymer

I'd love to know of a time when a child ruined your night in the SE corner 🤣🤣 

Honestly don't think this rule is going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever. There's hardly any kids in there anyway. No one is going to be that bothered either way... 

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'd love to know of a time when a child ruined your night in the SE corner 🤣🤣 

Honestly don't think this rule is going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever. There's hardly any kids in there anyway. No one is going to be that bothered either way... 

I agree, will be enforced lightly if at all

On 3/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, Suprefan said:

And if there had been an incident last year that involved kids in SE corner nobody would be arguing about this policy right now.

There was nothing in the festival report that even pointed towards this type of action being taken or recommended due to anything happening over the festival weekend?

Just because this wasn't mentioned in the public council scrutiny report doesn't mean there was no incident last year. 

Something serious could have happened that's triggered this, we wouldn't necessarily find out either way. 

Equally possible that this was just genuinely part of their regular post event review and they've decided that the risks for crowd safety, child safety, etc have tipped further over so they have to take an action to try to mitigate it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Just because this wasn't mentioned in the public council scrutiny report doesn't mean there was no incident last year. 

Something serious could have happened that's triggered this, we wouldn't necessarily find out either way. 

Equally possible that this was just genuinely part of their regular post event review and they've decided that the risks for crowd safety, child safety, etc have tipped further over so they have to take an action to try to mitigate it. 

Spot on and now with a load of Festival Republic head people involved in the crowd management planning side of things, I'd expect a few more things to change.

33 minutes ago, gfa said:

could see Melvin & co deciding they didn't want their names associated with kids in essentially a 50k nightclub full of drug users

I did wonder if the PR angle played a part as well. Of the things that could blow up on them in the media surely this must have been quite high up the list. Bad press stories could lead to more council scrutiny and impacts on the licence etc.

• Upvote 1

It was insanely busy on the Saturday night after headliners down there last year. Don't think it's the best place for kids. Plan it properly. Either get someone else to look after them whilst you visit, or share parenting duties. Can't see much benefit for the young ones being there. Only risks. With it being that busy a kid that's not a baby but maybe not yet of secondary age could get seperate from their parents and that could be a panic for both? I'm a dad of a 4 year old, I'd never take her to the SE tbh. But maybe a bit of each to their own?

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I did wonder if the PR angle played a part as well. Of the things that could blow up on them in the media surely this must have been quite high up the list. Bad press stories could lead to more council scrutiny and impacts on the licence etc.

yeah probably

4 minutes ago, plaskins said:

It was insanely busy on the Saturday night after headliners down there last year. Don't think it's the best place for kids. Plan it properly. Either get someone else to look after them whilst you visit, or share parenting duties. Can't see much benefit for the young ones being there. Only risks. With it being that busy a kid that's not a baby but maybe not yet of secondary age could get seperate from their parents and that could be a panic for both? I'm a dad of a 4 year old, I'd never take her to the SE tbh. But maybe a bit of each to their own?

proper young kids wouldn't even remember it to benefit. think under 8 just makes no sense from that perspective.

It's dark, cramped in places and crowded. Yeah, other parts of the festival can be like that too but not to the same level. And also people expect to see kids near the Pyramid at night so will be more cautious. I've certainly been bumped into quite heavily a few times there. Not a problem at all, is what it is. But if I was carrying an infant strapped to me - less so.

14 hours ago, plaskins said:

Maybe 5hey should open up the kids field until 4am for the little ones who can't sleep? 🤔

dick and dom all night dj battle

can't wait to walk past on my way back to camp and pass 5000 kids screaming 'BOGEYS'

I’ve found pingers on the floor in the SEC and taken them. Not smart, but I’m in my 30s and making an educated (albeit inordinately risky) decision. I wouldn’t want my daughters doing that. I wouldn’t take them in there below the age of 16. 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

I’ve found pingers on the floor in the SEC and taken them. Not smart, but I’m in my 30s and making an educated (albeit inordinately risky) decision. I wouldn’t want my daughters doing that. I wouldn’t take them in there below the age of 16. 

That made me chuckle more than it should but also a good point.

Images of you shuffling around between SE corner venues wearing  a pair of NVGs scrutinizing the floor.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

That made me chuckle more than it should but also a good point.

Images of you shuffling around between SE corner venues wearing  a pair of NVGs scrutinizing the floor.

I suspect his pupils would have been big enough to take in all of the light without need for night vision goggles....

• Upvote 1

Something that's coming across is how sheltered some people's children must be (I'm not saying that it's a bad thing).

We live in a sleepy, relatively well-to-do Somerset village probably less than 20min from Pilton.

If my kids wanted, they could just go to the local park, bus stop, street corner or some people's houses to get NOS, weed, pills, coke, ket etc. It's not their scene but it exists and it's not hard to find, particularly on a weekend.

Kids in nearby Bristol definitely have even more exposure.

Do places still exist where drug taking isn't commonplace?

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

That is one hell of a confession 🤣

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

Something that's coming across is how sheltered some people's children must be (I'm not saying that it's a bad thing).

We live in a sleepy, relatively well-to-do Somerset village probably less than 20min from Pilton.

If my kids wanted, they could just go to the local park, bus stop, street corner or some people's houses to get NOS, weed, pills, coke, ket etc. It's not their scene but it exists and it's not hard to find, particularly on a weekend.

Kids in nearby Bristol definitely have even more exposure.

Do places still exist where drug taking isn't commonplace?

16 year olds and kids in prams are quite different. not seen many toddlers doing balloons at the bus stop where i live, not sure what goes on in somerset ... must be the ley lines!

Edited by gfa

hmm this is a tricky one. I agree that back in the day it was completely normal to have whole families living in the SE Corner because that was their lifestyle - they were used to it and the kids were used to it. Now you have parents and children who for 5 nights a year behave in ways that they never would at home and then you have more risk. 

I thought there was something in this years report about this as well - about safeguarding needing to be looked at but maybe that was the other way round. 

43 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

hmm this is a tricky one. I agree that back in the day it was completely normal to have whole families living in the SE Corner because that was their lifestyle - they were used to it and the kids were used to it. Now you have parents and children who for 5 nights a year behave in ways that they never would at home and then you have more risk. 

I thought there was something in this years report about this as well - about safeguarding needing to be looked at but maybe that was the other way round. 

This is still the case even now.

It's interesting from my point of view to see some of those "kids" growing up. Some I've known since they were babies.

Edited by Skip997