Glasto Hacks

Bike_Like_A_Mum

7 hours ago, prog seller said:

Take a small bottle of hand soap with you, nothing beats clean hands with running water over sanitiser. 

Agree, sanitiser only works on clean hands. It doesn’t get rid of dirt/mud. These are great (cheaper in pound shops) 

MAXGOODS 5 Boxes Portable Disposable Soap Paper Flakes Washing Cleaning Hand Bath Travel Scented Mini Slice Sheets for Kitchen Toilet Outdoor Travel Camping Hiking,Random Color https://amzn.eu/d/iPByFW1

• Thanks 1

Regarding toilet paper, I take it off the roll completely and fold it in a waterproof, resealable freezer bag. (Well, I split it between two bags just in case I lose one, technically) Fits in your pocket so easy to carry all weekend, keeps it dry, and doesn't announce to everyone in the campsite you're about to take a massive poo.

34 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Agree, sanitiser only works on clean hands. It doesn’t get rid of dirt/mud. These are great (cheaper in pound shops) 

MAXGOODS 5 Boxes Portable Disposable Soap Paper Flakes Washing Cleaning Hand Bath Travel Scented Mini Slice Sheets for Kitchen Toilet Outdoor Travel Camping Hiking,Random Color https://amzn.eu/d/iPByFW1

Is a normal bar of soap not disposable if it gets dropped or lost in the ground? I was going to take the remnants of a bar from home and keep it in one of those small baggies you get with new clothes.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Is a normal bar of soap not disposable if it gets dropped or lost in the ground? I was going to take the remnants of a bar from home and keep it in one of those small baggies you get with new clothes.

Not sure what you mean? These are a little thin slivers of soap (enough for a single use, much smaller than say hotel soap ). Without hot water to clean a bigger bar, I wouldn’t want to carry it around. You could certainly shave your own bar!

1 hour ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

I find without warm water these aren't very good. Soap sticks to my hands.

2 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Not sure what you mean? These are a little thin slivers of soap (enough for a single use, much smaller than say hotel soap ). Without hot water to clean a bigger bar, I wouldn’t want to carry it around. You could certainly shave your own bar!

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what they meant with disposable, thought it was a special type of camping/travel soap that would biodegrade easily if left on a campsite and wouldn't contaminate etc.

Because then if it's just regular soap I'd just take my own left over slither from home and save a tenner for a pint instead.

I use this, it's harmless to the ground when you have a bowl wash and I cut a bar into a few pieces.  One bar usually lasts all my festivals and camping each year and it's also sold via the Oxfam online shop.

image.png.07504b7bb95a9fd52eb58f2050058163.png

On 4/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, Skip997 said:

Sadly yes.

At least one person thought I was advocating taken a heap load every night.

Complete joke you suggesting this.

You posted advocating drug use after people talking about trying to go sober / giving eachother tips and advice on that if i recall.

I have no issue with the advice, it was just the timing and where you posted it that was the issue.

Edited by gfa

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what they meant with disposable, thought it was a special type of camping/travel soap that would biodegrade easily if left on a campsite and wouldn't contaminate etc.

Because then if it's just regular soap I'd just take my own left over slither from home and save a tenner for a pint instead.

No not special, just tiny - only £1 in of all places, the pound shop…

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

re: bog roll. I go for the flushable wipes - a bit like wet wipes but flushable, biodegradable, plastic free. They come in a polythene package. 

Please don’t use any kind of wipe. Just because they’re flushable doesn’t mean they don’t clog up sewers and rivers. It just means they can be flushed rather than you should. “Biodegradable” is according to some manufacturer’s definition under laboratory circumstances “eventually”. In the real world they will take many years to break down. If you have to use them, it’s better to bag them and bin them.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

No not special, just tiny - only £1 in of all places, the pound shop…

Oh okay. I live in Germany and for something similar it was 3.99 plus 7 quid shipping, so thought that was the standard. If it's not special though aside from being flakes, I'll just pack the remnants of one we have here and save myself a journey to the PS when I land. Gotta get the booze bought and decantered before anything else! Haha 😁

39 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Oh okay. I live in Germany and for something similar it was 3.99 plus 7 quid shipping, so thought that was the standard. If it's not special though aside from being flakes, I'll just pack the remnants of one we have here and save myself a journey to the PS when I land. Gotta get the booze bought and decantered before anything else! Haha 😁

Quite, priorities! This year I am determined to take less and even more so, carry less around in the day

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

re: bog roll. I go for the flushable wipes - a bit like wet wipes but flushable, biodegradable, plastic free. They come in a polythene package. 

They say not to use wipes, full stop. A lot of wipes are also not proper biodegradable. I think you can get bamboo ones that are, but haven’t had a proper look into that. 

'Biodegradability' is not the key issue comparing toilet paper and wipes. Biodegradable means breaking down into non-toxic chemicals within a few months when in a bacteria-rich environment such as soil or a compost heap. Toilet paper is so thin and fragile that it practically dissolves when submerged in water and then flushed. Wipes do not, even when made of natural materials, and this leads to the clogging of sewers and other pipes designed for use with toilet paper.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:35 PM, Evilmonkeydan said:

Shoe lace or cord to loop through your toilet roll. Then when you grab it from your bag you can wear it like a necklace, Flavorflav pose then hands free roll while you visit the longdrop.

that sounds like it would be useful for one handed me, i have to jam the roll on my walking stick so that i'm able to tear pieces off -  its worked for me so far but i'm worried its going to let me down one day.

I hear you about the wipes.

Not trying to be argumentative, but want the best for me and the environment.

These ones claim to be legit, but do we think it's bullshit? 

https://nicencleanwipes.co.uk/products/nice-n-clean-secureflush-moist-toilet-tissue-wipes-with-aloe-vitamin-e-40-single

And is the flushing an issue when using compost toilets and long-drops?

I should clarify that this is an alternative to toilet paper. I don't use wet-wipes for face-cleaning etc. Flannel, water, soap and towel etc, do the job there just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I hear you about the wipes.

Not trying to be argumentative, but want the best for me and the environment.

These ones claim to be legit, but do we think it's bullshit? 

https://nicencleanwipes.co.uk/products/nice-n-clean-secureflush-moist-toilet-tissue-wipes-with-aloe-vitamin-e-40-single

And is the flushing an issue when using compost toilets and long-drops?

I should clarify that this is an alternative to toilet paper. I don't use wet-wipes for face-cleaning etc. Flannel, water, soap and towel etc, do the job there just fine.

My other half works in water treatment. He says poo, pee and paper only. No kitchen towel, no sanitary products, no cotton pads, not even “fine to flush” and that’s because his job is to manage the consequences. Our largely Victorian sewers just aren’t up to it whatever the marketing says. We used washable nappies and wipes for our youngest. Try to use washable everything else. Will I take wipes to G? Just some for potential hygiene emergencies! But I will put them in the bin. Tbh I have no idea what they do with the toilet waste there but it has to go somewhere…  

1 minute ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

My other half works in water treatment. He says poo, pee and paper only. No kitchen towel, no sanitary products, no cotton pads, not even “fine to flush” and that’s because his job is to manage the consequences. Our largely Victorian sewers just aren’t up to it whatever the marketing says. We used washable nappies and wipes for our youngest. Try to use washable everything else. Will I take wipes to G? Just some for potential hygiene emergencies! But I will put them in the bin. Tbh I have no idea what they do with the toilet waste there but it has to go somewhere…  

Just remembered I bought this last year (never actually used it though). Spray on to tissue to make a wet wipe -  good idea, we need a complete culture change. 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/freshx-aloe-vera-tissue-spritz-100ml?catalogId=10241&productId=1235140&storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=P%2B%2FfLiCVUUd0QAldV%2FJNd2zZLjZf3XqHlFTBZ8gX6GXZOtIxROSDT2vPCgEf5mufdHZlCEjaM%2FXgOEZBtbeNjL0tvbJ5zp2CnZ%2F552nLjRLtGVLsHcTDZbKr7JjrctJqL3RlH233z2ZyhXontgnRNA1KJP08%2BwXCuzVEO3XDwT5rhblBiOkeNFCWKNIX1YiHvr2oGBP1gUFFN6bK0a2wkA%3D%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Ffreshx-aloe-vera-tissue-spritz-100ml

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Just saw this and had to share, what a brilliant idea!!

Screenshot_20230421_083511_Facebook.jpg

I do this with my phone as keep a spare phone in the lock ups and have that number on it.  Also worth writing it on a piece of paper and putting in the phone case just in case your phone is out of charge. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, Wherethewildthingsare said:

It surely must get treated and filtered etc. probably would kill fish the amount of drugs in the long drops water lol

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Just saw this and had to share, what a brilliant idea!!

Screenshot_20230421_083511_Facebook.jpg

1 hour ago, dondo said:

I do this with my phone as keep a spare phone in the lock ups and have that number on it.  Also worth writing it on a piece of paper and putting in the phone case just in case your phone is out of charge. 

Yep do both of these. Also have a tenner tucked away in the back of the case for any finders to buy themselves a pint or cover postage costs.