Thread Again

CaledonianGonzo

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Whenever I’ve found myself really enjoying Fred, I’m always thinking ‘this sounds like Bicep’. 

Why Fred Again becomes a headliner is the same thing for why Billie went all the way and Lana / Lorde didn’t.

Sometimes it’s the fourth or fifth person to come along and do something that goes all the way. So is life. There is no justice or fairness. 

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Whenever I’ve found myself really enjoying Fred, I’m always thinking ‘this sounds like Bicep’. 

Disagree with this. Love them both but Bicep is far less accessible to the common person. 
Fred Again is pretty much instantly catchy has way more vocals and also takes influences from 90s 00s electronic scene. 

Bicep is phenomenal but their music is less “mainstream” and much better live than on record. 

Right now Fred has managed to traverse the line of “my music is so cool that mainstream and non mainstream people love me”  

let’s just hope Fred keeps it up and doesn’t go Calvin on us where only mainstream people love him 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why Fred Again becomes a headliner is the same thing for why Billie went all the way and Lana / Lorde didn’t.

Sometimes it’s the fourth or fifth person to come along and do something that goes all the way. So is life. There is no justice or fairness. 

Not gonna go all the way as headliner though 😉

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yes. I have.

Possibly. But we know exactly Bicep’s status at the G. They're West Holts headliners - possibly Other Headliners one day - and aren't going anywhere near El Pointo.

Exactly the same as Fred… never gonna be a pyramid headliner. I can’t believe people even think that’s a possibility… yeah he’s man of the moment but that trajectory can go down as quick as it went up. 

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

Exactly the same as Fred… never gonna be a pyramid headliner. I can’t believe people even think that’s a possibility… yeah he’s man of the moment but that trajectory can go down as quick as it went up. 

Maybe it’s just me being old these days but I don’t get why everything has to be measured and quantified as the “greatest ever” and in terms of how close they’ll get to headline status. Very few acts actually reach the pinnacle but people are always in a rush to declare the latest fad to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Nothing seems to be allowed to grow organically and just land where they land.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Maybe it’s just me being old these days but I don’t get why everything has to be measured and quantified as the “greatest ever” and in terms of how close they’ll get to headline status. Very few acts actually reach the pinnacle but people are always in a rush to declare the latest fad to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Nothing seems to be allowed to grow organically and just land where they land.

Also we’ve learned countless times now that all it takes is one wrong move, whether it be an album taking slightly too long to come out, or an album not hitting the same as the last one, or even just the scene changing and people moving on, for an act’s headliner chances to be scuppered for good. There have been tons of ‘dead certs’ for future headliners mentioned on here over the years that never made it or even came close in the end. And I’d wager that Fred Again sure as shit isn’t gonna be bothering the top of the Pyramid.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm I’m perplexed at the silence around Chase and Status being a possibility for WH. They are back on the road and have played Glasto quite a few times. Thought they’d be very likely and predicted. I think Fred has a bigger audience at the moment.

C&S would be JP for me, and maybe not even headliner. They aren't that big anymore.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

It will be one of the biggest sets / most healthily attended of the year no matter where he is.

He is the it guy. He’s a future headliner.

No he is not. Plenty of "it guys" come and go, but not all become headliners. Just because he's had some popularity in the past year amongst certain groups, doesn't mean he's got the widespread appeal to headline. He doesn't pass the Mum Test, he hasn't even passed the Colleagues Test.

Other headline and R/L headline is probably the highest he'll go. Maybe APE/Field Day too.

Edited by Enkidu

3 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

No he is not. Plenty of "it guys" come and go, but not all become headliners. Just because he's had some popularity in the past year amongst certain groups, doesn't mean he's got the widespread appeal to headline. He doesn't pass the Mum Test, he hasn't even passed the Colleagues Test.

Other headline and R/L headline is probably the highest he'll go. Maybe APE/Field Day too.

His music played at my work Christmas party. He’s a future headliner.

11 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

The greatest metric ever used on efests this 

I think it’s a great barometer for who is making waves in normie culture.

26 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

Lots of songs get played at Xmas parties. Guess Rag n Bone man is headlining too yeah?

Did you miss the word future?

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

His music played at my work Christmas party. He’s a future headliner.

I love the metric you use. ' my friends like him and they even played a song at the Christmas party! So they must be HUGE '

More of my students know about him than Frank Ocean. Guess he's bigger than him.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Ngl if he was a rock act this forum wouldn’t be so conservative about his headline chances.

If he was a rock act getting this level of attention we’d be in unanimous agreement that he was on the headline track.

Because if he was a rock (or pop) headliner it would be much more likely that he’s on the headline track.

Pretty sure Calvin Harris has been played at everyone’s Christmas parties in years gone by and he’s not headlined either.