2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

4 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

Am I the only one who has noticed Third man records on the map. Seems strange as rough trade is there also. Third man records is Jack White's record label and now Be your own pet has been announced from the label. I wonder what the plan is. 

It got mentioned a few pages ago. Apparently there's been a Third Man store at a few festivals this year, and of course they already have a London presence so it's not that different from that record store that took over from Rough Trade for 2021.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It got mentioned a few pages ago. Apparently there's been a Third Man store at a few festivals this year, and of course they already have a London presence so it's not that different from that record store that took over from Rough Trade for 2021.

Sorry I was away probably missed it. So basically 2 record shops. You can never have too many record shops. 

15 hours ago, eagles69 said:

Am I the only one who has noticed Third man records on the map. Seems strange as rough trade is there also. Third man records is Jack White's record label and now Be your own pet has been announced from the label. I wonder what the plan is. 

For Jack White to be the ?? obviously!

29 minutes ago, goldengirl said:

Yep I also wanted to see Ela Minus, but I am enjoying listening to Brigette Calls me Baby and Be Your Own Pet so not too disappointed. 

I'm quite excited about Be Your Own Pet, I think often need a bit of mid afternoon energy to get going!

As a bit of fun, here is a list of every act that have been suggested as a possible ??? candidate on this thread, including those who are in different venues/countries/continents at the time. Obviously the best/funniest outcome is that it is none of these.

Aphex Twin

Gabriels

PJ Harvey

Boygenius

The Walkmen

Young Fathers

Idles

BC Camplight

Explosions in the Sky

Michael Stipe

Snail Mail

Black Country, New Road

Blur

Boards of Canada

Les Savy Fav

Fever Ray

Slowdive

Amyl and the Sniffers

The Smile

Super Furry Animals

Fat White Family

Christine and the Queens

Ezra Collective

Joanna Newsom

Baxter Dury

Bat For Lashes

Jockstrap

Jarvis

Siouxsie

Wet Leg

Alison Goldfrapp

Jack White

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I suggested Cate le Bon in the Whatsapp group after it was pointed out she produced WIlco's album.  Sweet Baboo, who is playing Sunday, plays with her a lot.  As Wilco are on Friday and Sweet Baboo is Sunday she solves the Venn Diagram as a common factor between two acts on the other days.  No real reason to keep her secret though other than a bit of fun.

edit ah boo Wilco are Thursday. stilll...

Edited by snipe

For anyone who is unsure on how to dive into the King Gizzard Discography:
https://www.get-into-gizz.com/

Seen them live 3 times now, both festival and gig - always a varied set with some heavy, a 'suite' of some kind, and some chiller more relaxed tracks - often with a lot of jam in them.

This website takes you on a 'choose your own adventure' style game to help you explore the massive discography they currently have. 24 studio albums, 15 live albums, 5 compilations, 3 EPs and a remix album. I see Gila Monster is a common song in a lot of the playlists for EOTR popping up on Spotify/Tidal - but that album (PDA) is definitely one of, if not THE heaviest music they have out. So don't be discouraged if its not your thing.

All the fans are pretty chill people too, always a pleasure meeting fellow Gator Gang members at festivals!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, asw said:

Seen them live 3 times now, both festival and gig - always a varied set with some heavy, a 'suite' of some kind, and some chiller more relaxed tracks - often with a lot of jam in them.

This website takes you on a 'choose your own adventure' style game to help you explore the massive discography they currently have. 24 studio albums, 15 live albums, 5 compilations, 3 EPs and a remix album. I see Gila Monster is a common song in a lot of the playlists for EOTR popping up on Spotify/Tidal - but that album (PDA) is definitely one of, if not THE heaviest music they have out. So don't be discouraged if its not your thing.

All the fans are pretty chill people too, always a pleasure meeting fellow Gator Gang members at festivals!

That's amazing - really nicely designed site.  I knew they have lots of albums and they tried to do stuff with lots of different instruments, but my mind is blown.

53 minutes ago, asw said:

That site is great, thanks.

As someone who's made a setlist-based playlist, they've definitely been consistently leaning towards the heavier stuff in live shows - Gila Monster and Gaia are both among their most played live tracks (with only Magenta Mountain and maybe Magma being capable of being described as mellow). Here's hoping we get a long set at EOTR which allows them to show the full scope of their repetoire.

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

That site is great, thanks.

As someone who's made a setlist-based playlist, they've definitely been consistently leaning towards the heavier stuff in live shows - Gila Monster and Gaia are both among their most played live tracks (with only Magenta Mountain and maybe Magma being capable of being described as mellow). Here's hoping we get a long set at EOTR which allows them to show the full scope of their repetoire.

I’ve always loved their lighter stuff. It’s only my dislike of Ezra’s singing voice that will keep me there if it’s all metal. 

7 hours ago, AboutToday said:

As a bit of fun, here is a list of every act that have been suggested as a possible ??? candidate on this thread, including those who are in different venues/countries/continents at the time. Obviously the best/funniest outcome is that it is none of these.

Aphex Twin

Gabriels

PJ Harvey

Boygenius

The Walkmen

Young Fathers

Idles

BC Camplight

Explosions in the Sky

Michael Stipe

Snail Mail

Black Country, New Road

Blur

Boards of Canada

Les Savy Fav

Fever Ray

Slowdive

Amyl and the Sniffers

The Smile

Super Furry Animals

Fat White Family

Christine and the Queens

Ezra Collective

Joanna Newsom

Baxter Dury

Bat For Lashes

Jockstrap

Jarvis

Siouxsie

Wet Leg

Alison Goldfrapp

Jack White

Now that's a festival I'd go to.

3 hours ago, paulwa said:

I’ve always loved their lighter stuff. It’s only my dislike of Ezra’s singing voice that will keep me there if it’s all metal. 

It definitely won’t be all metal, maybe a third at most. But the majority is likely to be on the heavier side, and I wouldn’t expect anything acoustic. That said, they definitely have the ability to surprise!