2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

48 minutes ago, robith said:

As I've said previously, people have got to let go of other people not being happy with the line up. If you think you'll enjoy it, good for you, but telling other people they're wrong cos they're not as interesting as you is a road to a lot of boring circular discussions

Well, by the same token, some people have become so wound up that they now seem to think the festival has set out to deliberately cheat people out of their money and undermine itself for some reason. It's not like we haven't had this on these festivals before - people got really irate about Metronomy headlining in 2019 for some reason, even though that was the same year Beirut were top billed a decade after they did anything of interest - but some of the accusatory (and as we've seen factually misguided/unproveable in places) tone seems new. If we've still got six months of this ahead...

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Well, by the same token, some people have become so wound up that they now seem to think the festival has set out to deliberately cheat people out of their money and undermine itself for some reason. It's not like we haven't had this on these festivals before - people got really irate about Metronomy headlining in 2019 for some reason, even though that was the same year Beirut were top billed a decade after they did anything of interest - but some of the accusatory (and as we've seen factually misguided/unproveable in places) tone seems new. If we've still got six months of this ahead...

it's literally some n00b with like 18 posts, you could always just let it slide and it would probably evaporate

Just accept it , the majority are not happy it's not about the headliners it's the lack of bands between the unknowns and headliners . You only need to look at fb or ista or twitter to see how it's gone down . Also the lack of likes , people ain't happy and rightly so. Saying listen to unknown acts doesn't cut it with 245 quid festival . Nowt gonna change that they have also brought forward the time you pay the rest to May from July so don't be surprised if the festival gets cancelled.  

20 minutes ago, blurman said:

Just accept it , the majority are not happy it's not about the headliners it's the lack of bands between the unknowns and headliners . You only need to look at fb or ista or twitter to see how it's gone down . Also the lack of likes , people ain't happy and rightly so. Saying listen to unknown acts doesn't cut it with 245 quid festival . Nowt gonna change that they have also brought forward the time you pay the rest to May from July so don't be surprised if the festival gets cancelled.  

I wouldn't go THAT far. I'm sure it's selling relatively well. 

I do think they need to add some more mid level bands for sure though. But fingers crossed for the next announcement.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robith said:

As I've said previously, people have got to let go of other people not being happy with the line up. If you think you'll enjoy it, good for you, but telling other people they're wrong cos they're not as interesting as you is a road to a lot of boring circular discussions

I'm not telling anyone they're wrong and I've got no issue with anyone just being disappointed by it. There are a handful who have gone further and seem to have lost their heads over it.

Prefer this lineup to last year personally

Don't get what was there in previous years that people feel is missing this year. It all looks very EOTR, not sure what you are expecting really.

There are never 'big' headliners, loads of other festivals do that better, maybe even for less money. That is old news, it's not that kind of festival.

If you don't feel it this year, nobody is forcing you

Edited by Llamasausage
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Llamasausage said:

Prefer this lineup to last year personally

Don't get what was there in previous years that people feel is missing this year. It all looks very EOTR, not sure what you are expecting really.

There are never 'big' headliners, loads of other festivals do that better, maybe even for less money. That is old news, it's not that kind of festival.

If you don't feel it this year, nobody is forcing you

There has been some great headliners 

If anything I'd say the problem with EOTR is that it's trying to be too diverse. There are some good bands lower down but there's a lot you'd file under experimental/interesting/jazz trumpet. Fine if you have a solid centre but this is largely all you have. 2 of this, 2 of that. None particularly notable. Great if you want to hear lot of different sounds.

If anything I'd say the problem with EOTR is that it's trying to be too diverse. There are some good bands lower down but there's a lot you'd file under experimental/interesting/jazz trumpet. Fine if you have a solid centre but this is largely all you have. 2 of this, 2 of that. None particularly notable. Great if you want to hear lot of different sound

Experimental artists first thing I look for when line-up announced. 

That's why I've always done Supersonic festival also. Weird and wonderful 

It's a shame it's the same weekend as Eotr this year 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

2 hours ago, Jeel said:

If anything I'd say the problem with EOTR is that it's trying to be too diverse. There are some good bands lower down but there's a lot you'd file under experimental/interesting/jazz trumpet. Fine if you have a solid centre but this is largely all you have. 2 of this, 2 of that. None particularly notable. Great if you want to hear lot of different sounds.

Experimental artists first thing I look for when line up announced. 

That's why I've always done Supersonic festival also. Weird and wonderful 

It's a shame it's the same weekend as Eotr this year 

2 hours ago, Jeel said:

If anything I'd say the problem with EOTR is that it's trying to be too diverse...Great if you want to hear lot of different sounds.

I agree with this apart from the 'problem' part. It seems like a pretty great ethos for a festival especially when increasingly surrounded by festivals all treading the same water.

The comments on feeling ripped off are frankly bizarre. Like if they announced some cash-in reunion like Primal Scream performing Screamadelica (god help us), that'd suddenly be okay because at least we could see where the money is going.

I’m never bothered with the headliners, a.though it will be nice to see Wilco sober. Me, not them.

Nothing wrong with the Green Man line up but it’s very safe. EOTR is much more interesting. The more I listen to the many bands I’m unfamiliar with, the more I’m looking forward to the festival. Simply, Simon has done it again.

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

I agree with this apart from the 'problem' part. It seems like a pretty great ethos for a festival especially when increasingly surrounded by festivals all treading the same water.

The comments on feeling ripped off are frankly bizarre. Like if they announced some cash-in reunion like Primal Scream performing Screamadelica (god help us), that'd suddenly be okay because at least we could see where the money is going.

Ripped off isn't fair but the line up, this far, is very far from being value for money and much weaker than previous years, imo. It's a great ethos if those bands are both good and of a level to play a festival. 

9 hours ago, Jeel said:

Ripped off isn't fair but the line up, this far, is very far from being value for money and much weaker than previous years, imo. It's a great ethos if those bands are both good and of a level to play a festival. 

Value for money is a funny one, as you can easily tot up the amount of acts you can see in a day, and how much they would cost to see individually, and you will probably find that it is very good value for money. Obviously, you could argue that you wouldn’t actually pay to see some of those acts and so personally it isn’t good value for money, and that’s fair enough, but would be a personal view. 

In terms of value for money against other festivals, I don’t think EOTR has ever been that great value compared to other festivals. It’s not that much cheaper than Latitude, and Latitude always has much bigger acts.

It’s a competitively priced small festival, which generally knows the audience it’s catering too very well. A lot of that audience willing to pay for this particular festival experience over the value of the line ups.

The beauty of this festival is the sheer range and number of high quality acts on all stages, right from the off, every day, many of whom you’d have no chance of seeing otherwise. Not to mention the ambience and all the peripheral stuff.

It’s a bloody bargain.

• Upvote 1

For me, the best moments of the last two years have been watching complete unknowns (to me) down at The Talking Heads stage, a very intimate setting. This was Willie Tea Taylor and Darren Hanlon. This is why I don't worry about "lack of names" in any of the announcements. I was pretty disappointed with The Pixies last year, so you can't expect to get all of your ticket price value from big names.

Edited by paulwa
  • Upvote 1

Me, I must be with the silent majority.

I confidently expect a rammed second line-up announcement, and all the old hands - those who were there to negotiate the newly-laid Rocky Road blindfold in the dark in a thick fog with a wonky overloaded trolley, and in the times before - will say what a tease Simon EOTR is, we knew all along.

• Like 1

Talking of value for money...can't be many better deals than the Brudenells In Colour festival...£24 for a weekend pass for this! 

Saturday 13th May 2022
Moin
Algiers
TVAM
Enumclaw
Acid Klause
Talk Show 
Maruja
C.O.F.F.I.N
Divorce Finance
Askies
The 113

Sunday 14th May 2022
Pale Blue Eyes
Lael Neale
Sun June
Cloth
Alice Low
Georgia Harmer
Lots Of Hands
Spielmann
  • Upvote 1

People are assuming the band Simon mentions were ruled out by an exclusivity clause is Boygenius but their London show has a larger capacity than EOTR and the dates they're over line up far better with Green Man, which makes me suspect something fell through there given they're a headliner short. While not ruling out Self Esteem I wonder if it's Wet Leg, we know they've been as punters and performers (Rhian solo, both in Plastic Mermaids' choir) and famously had the idea to form a band together on the ferris wheel but are doing Reading & Leeds who hold those restrictions with a greater rod of iron than most.

4 hours ago, riverlodge said:

“In our niche world, how many [female acts] can headline a Green Man or End of the Road? There aren’t many.”

Both a terrible abdication of responsibility and a total cop-out. 

On 3/3/2023 at 8:45 AM, Meades93 said:

In terms of value for money against other festivals, I don’t think EOTR has ever been that great value compared to other festivals. It’s not that much cheaper than Latitude, and Latitude always has much bigger acts.

It’s a competitively priced small festival, which generally knows the audience it’s catering too very well. A lot of that audience willing to pay for this particular festival experience over the value of the line ups.

Value for money against other festivals (or anything else priced at £200 plus travel).

If you look at the headliners they had previously it's poor in comparison to most years.

2015 - Sufjan Stevens, The War on Drugs, Tame Impala

2016 - Joanna Newsom, Bat for Lashes, Animal Collective, The Shins

2018 - Vampire Weekend, St Vincent, Feist

It's fine using the Glastonbury line about the experience, but in the middle of a cost of living crisis £200 is a lot of money for a week of camping.