Brixton Crush

gfa

2 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Is this the first one that's just been moved to later in the year, same venue? They must be confident the Academy is going to stay open.

I guess its been moved back long enough to give then time to sort things out or they will have plenty of time to cancel or find another venue. I saw themafewtimeslast year and so not that dissapointed for it to get knockedback to the wnd of the year. I also expect them to turn up  at festivals this year and  so wil likely catch them before then.

I  think Fat Boy Slim got  moved back to later in the year.

2 minutes ago, Dales said:

I guess its been moved back long enough to give then time to sort things out or they will have plenty of time to cancel or find another venue. I saw themafewtimeslast year and so not that dissapointed for it to get knockedback to the wnd of the year. I also expect them to turn up  at festivals this year and  so wil likely catch them before then.

I  think Fat Boy Slim got  moved back to later in the year.

This is actually my first time seeing Suede - very excited! - but I'm not too upset about the delay. Would rather see them at the Academy than have it moved to some shit venue.

8 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

This is actually my first time seeing Suede - very excited! - but I'm not too upset about the delay. Would rather see them at the Academy than have it moved to some shit venue.

It's not the best of venues but I dont mind it as its one of the few venues I can actually drive to and they only charge £3 to park your car. I saw Suede there when they done the "Coming  Up Anniversary Tour" and they were awsome.

I have only ever seen one gig by them when they were a  little flat. That was last year at Victorious, Brett seemed a little annoyed but they were still ok. Think they will be good at Ally Pally again.

4 minutes ago, Dales said:

It's not the best of venues but I dont mind it as its one of the few venues I can actually drive to and they only charge £3 to park your car. I saw Suede there when they done the "Coming  Up Anniversary Tour" and they were awsome.

I have only ever seen one gig by them when they were a  little flat. That was last year at Victorious, Brett seemed a little annoyed but they were still ok. Think they will be good at Ally Pally again.

gonna have to combat the ULEZ now - will make it more like £15

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

9993B413-9150-4112-A7F9-AAE5BA351106.jpeg

Weirdly, the original date they were playing at Brixton academy (sat 25th of march) they’ve now announced they’re playing the de la warr pavilion in bexhill. This is completely boring to 95% of the country but for those of us in Sussex it’s bloody marvellous! 

I had Caroline Polachek tickets for Brixton which has now been moved to Hammersmith.  They've changed our ticket from stall Standing to Seated circle Row O right at the very side. :s  

We're going to complain and try and get standing but thought i'd let everyone know in case you didn't check your ticket type was the same when it was transferred to a new venue! 

Edited by GeezLouise

13 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I had Caroline Polachek tickets for Brixton which has now been moved to Hammersmith.  They've changed our ticket from Standing to Seated Row O right at the very side. :s  

We're going to complain and try and get standing but thought i'd let everyone know in case you didn't check your ticket type was the same when it was transferred to a new venue! 

Thats an absolute pisstake, i'd ask for a refund and just see her at Wide Awake

58 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I had Caroline Polachek tickets for Brixton which has now been moved to Hammersmith.  They've changed our ticket from stall Standing to Seated circle Row O right at the very side. :s  

Same here but Row B - annoyed beyond belief as wanna be in the standing crowd for the album release day show buzz

12 hours ago, GeezLouise said:

theres a lot less standing than seating at hammersmith. Think its 800-1k less standing than brixton.

19 hours ago, zahidf said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/27/inquest-into-deaths-at-brixton-o2-could-lead-to-criminal-charges-court-hears

'Criminal charges '.... wonder if its people working at the venue who were letting people in without a ticket? It can't be people in the crowd.

Almost certainly corporate manslaughter if they're talking charges. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:08 PM, zahidf said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/27/inquest-into-deaths-at-brixton-o2-could-lead-to-criminal-charges-court-hears

'Criminal charges '.... wonder if its people working at the venue who were letting people in without a ticket? It can't be people in the crowd.

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Almost certainly corporate manslaughter if they're talking charges. 

I'm no lawyer but surely they'd get nowhere trying to charge the staff members who were sneaking people in ? like what charge even is that - would that be manslaughter .. seems a push in court though to me

The security company though definitely

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Guardian article says HSE Health and safety executive declined to participate in the investigation. bit strange

Could it be that the HSE only govern under the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 1974. I have no idea if they are limited in that fashion or not, by the way. It's just that it occurred to me but I'm too stoned to investigate further. 

PS - I know that the above restriction wouldn't necessarily exclude them anyway. It might just be a formal case of a criminal investigation overrides the 'need' for another party to be involved, in the eyes of the law. 

This is rather interesting -

There would be consequences to these hypothetical changes. More staff and fewer punters would dent profits at AMG. Its most recent accounts for the 2021 calendar year show that 1,587 live shows across its venues yielded operating profits of £3.6 million. Crudely, this equates to average profits of just £2,306 per concert. Yes, the year was disrupted by Covid. But erode those thin profit margins much more and you’d have to question the viability of putting on gigs. One answer would be higher ticket prices, which no-one wants in a cost of living crisis. But who can put a price on safety?

King of surprising the profit margin is so low, off an average size of 2k (probably generous given how big the o2 and o2 brixton are vs most other venues and used almost every night) thats only £1 profit per ticket roughly. Adds up to decent profit overall but shows that the profit on shows is less than people may expect? Although AMG is owned by Live Nation so maybe the profit is just going there instead.

47 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is rather interesting -

There would be consequences to these hypothetical changes. More staff and fewer punters would dent profits at AMG. Its most recent accounts for the 2021 calendar year show that 1,587 live shows across its venues yielded operating profits of £3.6 million. Crudely, this equates to average profits of just £2,306 per concert. Yes, the year was disrupted by Covid. But erode those thin profit margins much more and you’d have to question the viability of putting on gigs. One answer would be higher ticket prices, which no-one wants in a cost of living crisis. But who can put a price on safety?

King of surprising the profit margin is so low, off an average size of 2k (probably generous given how big the o2 and o2 brixton are vs most other venues and used almost every night) thats only £1 profit per ticket roughly. Adds up to decent profit overall but shows that the profit on shows is less than people may expect? Although AMG is owned by Live Nation so maybe the profit is just going there instead.

It's the entertainment industry, so don't be surprised if the 'costs' aren't all they seem

Also the profits would be after a lot of people get paid - directors, employees, pensions...

9 minutes ago, UEF said:

It's the entertainment industry, so don't be surprised if the 'costs' aren't all they seem

Also the profits would be after a lot of people get paid - directors, employees, pensions...

Plus ShowSec, who are owned by Live Nation and so their profit also adds to the general LN funds and don't necessarily need to charge the venue a compeititve rate.

12 hours ago, incident said:

Plus ShowSec, who are owned by Live Nation and so their profit also adds to the general LN funds and don't necessarily need to charge the venue a compeititve rate.

It doesn't work that way, the charge rates are pretty standard no matter what venue.

Showsec may be ultimately owned by Live Nation, but they have no 'prefered' supplier status, hence why they lost a lot of LN festivals.

Edited by Paul ™