Accommodation 1st December on Sale

Avalon_Fields

15 minutes ago, ScottTelford said:

How easy is it to get from the WV campsite into either Shepton Mallet or Castle Cary? I know there’s a shuttle to Castle Cary station but that seems to be a trek from the nearest shop.

We’ve got coach tickets so might want to go off site to buy some alcohol on Thursday morning.

Difficult, there’s a shuttle bus from the bus station to Shepton and Glastonbury but that’s near gate A, a long trek across the site from WV. Unless you know some friend  with a car who is also at WV and could keep your drink in their car. 

27 minutes ago, ScottTelford said:

I thought shuttle bus from WV to Gate A then bus to Shepton Mallet might not be too bad. Do they run all weekend?

What are the transport options to Sticklinch? Not feasible to walk from Gate A really.

That might work, though I don’t know how often and what days the WV bus runs. The Shepton and Glastonbury buses are mostly hourly 7am till 2am according to the timetable on the festival website   

46 minutes ago, ScottTelford said:

I thought shuttle bus from WV to Gate A then bus to Shepton Mallet might not be too bad. Do they run all weekend?

What are the transport options to Sticklinch? Not feasible to walk from Gate A really.

There were no other transport options for Sticklinch this year 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:06 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

We always found them a decent size and height. One tip is to take a spare piece of groundsheet for the outer part of the tent. Ideal place to keep wellies, stove etc. without the groundsheet it will get muddy if it rains. Also for two if you have single air beds rather than a double they can be stacked when not in use to give more room to get dressed etc. 

E9E91CDD-2201-444F-831A-BBA7031247A0.thumb.jpeg.589d531b6c7e2e61ba620f82cc5258e7.jpeg

Ditto for groundsheet. Put it on the grass in the porch area. Means you don’t step out onto damp grass in your socks. The 2 man scout would easily fit 3. Loads of space and you can stand up getting dressed. Recommend.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ScottTelford said:

How easy is it to get from the WV campsite into either Shepton Mallet or Castle Cary? I know there’s a shuttle to Castle Cary station but that seems to be a trek from the nearest shop.

We’ve got coach tickets so might want to go off site to buy some alcohol on Thursday morning.

Not easy, though not completely impossible. Honestly, if I were you I’d forget that idea. It’s just waaaayyyy too much faff. There are better things to be doing with your time on the Thursday than waiting for buses, to buy a few tinnies.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Not easy, though not completely impossible. Honestly, if I were you I’d forget that idea. It’s just waaaayyyy too much faff. There are better things to be doing with your time on the Thursday than waiting for buses, to buy a few tinnies.

I’d agree with that , virtually wasting most of Thursday. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

What’s people’s experience of booking Camper van passes ?

if your on the ball when they go on sale do you generally get them ok ?

I’ve suddenly got a bit of fear of not being able to get on and they all sell out ! All out plans are based on hired campervans . If someone can put my mind at rest that would be lovely !

Edited by JMB01

2 minutes ago, JMB01 said:

I’ve suddenly got a bit of fear of not being able to get on and they all sell out ! All out plans are based on hired campervans . If someone can put my mind at rest that would be lovely !

bit of a scramble in initial sale so might not get what you want initially  but usually by the time of the festival most people have what they want in the resales 

7 minutes ago, JMB01 said:

Even if it says sold out keep trying as failed transactions will be but tent, passes etc back in the pot

4 minutes ago, metty22 said:

Does anyone know if kids are allowed in both WV and Sticklinch? It's my partners 40th while we are there and she is quite keen on taking the kids. I'm working on her but also would a 4 man scout be big enough for 2 adults and 2 little ones. 

Yes, and a 4 man would be ok, there’s a cloth partition splitting the sleeping inner tent. Be a good idea also to keep extra clothing, food etc in your car, if that’s how you are travelling, it’s easy to take a morning trip to the car park to re supply. Sticklinch, although I’ve never stayed there, might be better as there’s the hill climb up to WV , saw a few struggling up with really young kids this year.  Someone whose done Sticklinch might be a better source of info for you. Have you looked at the bell tent option or the four man pod? 

On 11/26/2022 at 12:06 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

yes its lucky dip if you get those or not ... its a fight ... maybe timing of sale and cost increase might help 

On 11/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's easier to get an actual ticket in the main sale.

Yikes. Can't say I'm surprised. There's not that many tipis in that field..

6 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, and a 4 man would be ok, there’s a cloth partition splitting the sleeping inner tent. Be a good idea also to keep extra clothing, food etc in your car, if that’s how you are travelling, it’s easy to take a morning trip to the car park to re supply. Sticklinch, although I’ve never stayed there, might be better as there’s the hill climb up to WV , saw a few struggling up with really young kids this year.  Someone whose done Sticklinch might be a better source of info for you. Have you looked at the bell tent option or the four man pod? 

I have done Sticklinch and have very little to add, you've pretty much nailed it with this. Car park is extremely close at Sticklinch, especially if you get there early, they do fill it from the end of the camp itself. You could be mere metres from the entrance. 

I would say though, it depends how old your children are. If you need any equipment at all (pushchairs, carts etc) then you may want an upgrade from a scout tent, as I imagine it'd be difficult to store a pushchair in there too. It's also worth noting that they don't have 4 man scout tents at Sticklinch. Best bet at Sticklinch would definitely be a bunk pad. Locking door too. 

On 11/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

400 for a two berth scout tent is steep but it’s still worth it if you don’t want to lug tents etc across the site. Also having easy access to your car is a big bonus. We’ve got a decision to make. In June we made a provisional booking for a B and B in Glastonbury town for the 2023 festival, 7 nights. there’s a bus service to and from the site, last bus 2am and we no longer do the SE corner!  Bit of a dilemma and will think about the pros and cons before deciding. 

We did that this year. Never again!!! Took for ever to get in and out the site. Buses didn’t alway fit into the times we needed.Taxis few and far between upto 3 hours to get in one day!!! Also we missed the atmosphere of being in the festival. Always stayed in the Campervan fields previously. My daughter stayed at Skitchlinch and it was amazing, great loos and showers . 

During a long drive on Saturday Mrs J and I discussed the accommodation situation and we've decided not to bother with it.

Having the kids with us means realistically we have to look at the 4 man options and that doubles the cost and makes it way out of our price range.

Looks like family camping for us. 

Stayed in a WV scout tent the past 2 years and me and my friend looking to try something different this year but we’re a bit stumped. Think we’ve decided to try SL but is there anyone who has stayed in either a pod pad or a bellepad - and would you recommend them? 

Anyone know what the score is on setting up the caravan in CV East then taking the towing car offsite?  I know there are restrictions on access post 14:00 on Sunday but can you come and go before then?

Pretty sure the guy next to me left site last year but not sure if it was officially allowed...

Edited by BluePaul
additional info