Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

19 hours ago, mungo57 said:

just listening back to GnR set 'whilst working' and I can honestly say this is nothing like the sound in the field that faithful day.

Don't know what the beeb have done with their mix but Axl's voice was much better live on El Pointo than this garbage.

Same can be said for Alex Turner from Arctics too......

Yeah, arctics is terrible on beeb but was fantastic on the night. 

On 7/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, sprocketrocket said:

I just saw a clip of them playing paradise city... Axl sounds like Dame Edna Everage. Glad we gave it a swerve. 

Are you not listening…..I SAID ARE You NOT LISTENING!?

Don’t go off sound recorded, as it seems this was pretty poor compared to the actual sound head in the field. Issues with mics etc.

23 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Are you not listening…..I SAID ARE You NOT LISTENING!?

Don’t go off sound recorded, as it seems this was pretty poor compared to the actual sound head in the field. Issues with mics etc.

Yes, recordings famously don't capture what actually happened. What people think they remember is the best form of history. X

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

Yes, recordings famously don't capture what actually happened. What people think they remember is the best form of history. X

BBC chief music critic himself said there was a difference on TV vs in the field. Plus many complaints of mic dropping out and mis-mixed sound on social media, presumably not all by actors paid off by Axl...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66011512

https://www.nme.com/news/music/live-agency-blames-bbc-for-poor-sound-quality-guns-n-roses-glastonbury-3462470

In the face of that , being sarcy with your own version of events on a high horse a) is a bit ironic and b) makes you look like a bellend doesn't it?

X

image.png.00b76357afc3a787c6c7ed3375e46110.png

4 hours ago, pulltheotherone_youmelt said:

BBC chief music critic himself said there was a difference on TV vs in the field. Plus many complaints of mic dropping out and mis-mixed sound on social media, presumably not all by actors paid off by Axl...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66011512

https://www.nme.com/news/music/live-agency-blames-bbc-for-poor-sound-quality-guns-n-roses-glastonbury-3462470

In the face of that , being sarcy with your own version of events on a high horse a) is a bit ironic and b) makes you look like a bellend doesn't it?

X

image.png.00b76357afc3a787c6c7ed3375e46110.png

"At 61, Rose's vocals aren't what they once were, but he can still pull off a wolverine yowl when he warms up - and his snarling delivery remains convincingly menacing. (Some TV viewers complained his microphone was too quiet, but in the field he cut through the swathes of guitar like a knife through butter.)"

I didn't say it was too quiet, I said he sounded like dame Edna everage 

"It's only when the riff to Welcome To The Jungle rings out across the Pyramid Arena, a good 20 minutes into the set, that they achieve lift-off" 

Sounds ace. You've totally convinced me. 

His voice is objectively shot and your enjoyment of a GNR gig these days will hinge on whether or not you can tolerate that, not sure why people are kidding themselves with this "he didn't sound like that!" stuff. His voice sounded better in the field than on the telly after because you were in the moment having the time of your life, not analysing it after the fact 😄

Edited by crumbler
  • Upvote 1

On 12/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

Which brings us to the tantalising idea of Live and Let Die getting two outings on the Pyramid stage in subsequent years.

Bonus question for Glastonbury eggheads... can you name any other songs that have also achieved this accolade? Off the top of my head:

Where the Streets Have No Name (Muse 2010/U2 2011)
Staylin Alive (Coldplay 2016/Barry Gibb 2017)

Anymore for anymore?

Don't ask me why I'm this early in the thread but I can't resist a trivia challenge...

Subsequent years (headliners too!) - Viva La Vida - Pet Shop Boys 2010 (t'other Stage) and Coldplay 2011 (Pyramid)

Cruelly not QUITE subsequent DAYS - A New England - Kirsty Maccoll Friday 1992 (Pyramid) and Billy Bragg Sunday 1992 (Pyramid)

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:57 PM, eddie_corrigan said:

Just googled him and he used to write for nme he’s the one who interviewed Keith Richards when he claimed he’d snorted his dads ashes mixed with a bit of lemo. 

his wiki page sums him up quite well 

In his writings, Beaumont has often favoured a caustic, confrontational and at times humorous prose style, especially when writing on artists or records that he does not hold in particularly high regard. 

absolute tampon. 

Like a poor-man's Swells?

6 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

"At 61, Rose's vocals aren't what they once were, but he can still pull off a wolverine yowl when he warms up - and his snarling delivery remains convincingly menacing. (Some TV viewers complained his microphone was too quiet, but in the field he cut through the swathes of guitar like a knife through butter.)"

I didn't say it was too quiet, I said he sounded like dame Edna everage 

"It's only when the riff to Welcome To The Jungle rings out across the Pyramid Arena, a good 20 minutes into the set, that they achieve lift-off" 

Sounds ace. You've totally convinced me. 

It was ace. I get that you don’t want to feel like you’ve missed out but stop digging. You’ve even managed to include a quote that states how the sound in the field was much better than on TV, which is often the case.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. Ronseal sort of evening. Not a classic but I expect a lot of people were left happy enough.

If anything it throws into perspective how daft people can get over individual acts being booked.

GnR came and played, there's no lasting impact or legacy here, it hasn't spelt the end of the festival as we know it, people won't be talking about it for years to come. There's little else to say about them.

Just another massive headliner sized act the festival have ticked off, no different to Metallica, Sheeran, Arcade Fire, etc.

It was incredible, had made plans to dip out to go and see a mate playing in Silver Hayes if they weren’t good in the first half hour (we only know the biggest hits anyway), but two tracks in we all looked at each other and were like “this is amazing, we’re not going anywhere”

• Upvote 1