Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think they would have made an exception for Elton funding wise.

I agree and don't think Pulp are headlining, was more just calling out supre's nonsense. Price shot up due to inflation

51 minutes ago, gfa said:

I agree and don't think Pulp are headlining, was more just calling out supre's nonsense. Price shot up due to inflation

Me neither. The only reason TRNSMT and IOW have them topping is because it's the only event in their areas with music festivals at all big enough for Pulp. The difference down is that where R&L would have booked Pulp for a decent payday even back in 2012, there is no point now so events the next line down come in. I never expect the likes of Kendall, Y Not, Truck or Tramlines to get them. And Victorious is more a festival I think that would get them next year if still around. They are too big a reunion for that. Scarborough Open Air did very well to get them mind.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:03 PM, Matt42 said:

Looking at past other headliners - Megan Thee Stallion, Christine & The Queens etc Halsey is definitely big enough. 

I think she fits the glove perfectly to be honest. Headlines most festivals she plays, but not quite big enough to headline the pyramid or even sub it.

She really isn’t.

Everyone in the industry knows that Glastonbury pays a fixed fee and they all certainly know what that number is. Whilst the festival does very occasionally move on that to secure an act like the Stones these occurrences are very rare.

Elton will have known the fee before he even came to the table and has agreed to do it anyway.

Furthermore, why would Jarvis (or anyone else for that matter) say “yeah we’ll take less than you usually pay so you can pay another headliner more”?

4 hours ago, gfa said:

I know its inflation. But apparently the festivals philosophy somehow changed to pay artists their due this coming year in some peoples eyes. Which will never be case even when a ticket costs over £400 really soon. 

So ya'll still want Aerosmith?

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I know its inflation. But apparently the festivals philosophy somehow changed to pay artists their due this coming year in some peoples eyes. Which will never be case even when a ticket costs over £400 really soon. 

So ya'll still want Aerosmith?

I don't majorly want them but that's why the lack of tours....because they would be pulling them anyway.

9 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

She really isn’t.

Agreed but not was Stormzy when he headlined. That was purely a festival diversity booking move.

I've no issue with the type of music etc that headlines but the festival wanted a cheap black rapper who said the right things and he was an option. Already only being booked for APE after topping Glastonbury and Reading. That's your 5 minutes of taking the fame chances though. 

• Downvote 11

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Agreed but not was Stormzy when he headlined. That was purely a festival diversity booking move.

I've no issue with the type of music etc that headlines but the festival wanted a cheap black rapper who said the right things and he was an option. Already only being booked for APE after topping Glastonbury and Reading. That's your 5 minutes of taking the fame chances though. 

Yikes

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, slip-slop-slap said:

I'm crossing everything that we don't get a clash between Elton and The Prodigy. I couldn't skip Elton but that would be a killer. 

After watching the Disney gig, id skip Elton in a heart beat for prodigy. There hasn't been one duff gig since I first seen them in the early 90s. 

It'll be non stop bangers, Elton may have moments but I'm not sure overall gig wise it will be as satisfying 😃

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Are we still pretending they pay every headliner the same? 

I couldn't give a shit, it's not my money. But they haven't dodged Elton for years and suddenly been like, oh...here's loads of money.

You compare it to a money making band likes The Stones you they publicly tried to get for years.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

What's the issue? He's a black rapper?, it's not racist. But for the people choosing to interpret wrongly, I will rephrase. He was a black rapper booked for diversity that would not have cost a lot.

There is no need to make it into something it is not.

It’s pretty demeaning of him as an artist to assume he was booked because he’s black.

If they wanted a cheap headliner for diversity they could have sent you out with the boot polish again.

38 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

It’s pretty demeaning of him as an artist to assume he was booked because he’s black.

If they wanted a cheap headliner for diversity they could have sent you out with the boot polish again.

This is quite laughable considering this whole board had been talking for the last couple of years about diversity of acts being booked. I'll remind you all of Kendrick, Travis, The Weeknd all being mentioned for slots. Slots to include all cultures and races.

So tell me when the last white rapper was to headline Glastonbury...I'll wait. 

Now tell me when a white rapper was available apart from Eminem to headline Glastonbury....again I'll wait.

By 50 Cent's own admission, rap is black music primarily, there is no getting away from that. So Glastonbury booked it as a way to be diverse. They didn't have to make the booking they chose. Just like Jay-Z, they didn't have to.

Don't ignore the actual facts behind it all.

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

Think you've done a stand up job of that yourself mate

not really, only to others who choose to ignore the obvious references

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Don't worry, some of his best friends are, erm, well... 

black yes, correct. but they aren't going to headline Glastonbury so it's fine.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Last minute entry for worst take of the year

• Upvote 4

On 12/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Suprefan said:

Still a certain subset of people who like them that buy cd's I guess. Probably lots of stocking stuffers and nobody would dare return it due to the charity aspect.

Just get the fucking Wiggles for Legends.

Yeah I suppose there’s a fair amount of their demographic still buying CDs. I wouldn’t even know where to go for one now.

Wiggles are the white whale of the Kids field bookers. The equivalent of Michael Eavis dreaming of the Eagles. The absolute dream one that will never happen.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

This is nonsense. They booked him because he was good enough and as a plus, represents a huge British music scene

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, gfa said:

Last minute entry for worst take of the year

Last minute entry for take it how you want.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

This is nonsense. They booked him because he was good enough and as a plus, represents a huge British music scene

And what is that huge British music scene he represents and talks about? Black Britain

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

And what is that huge British music scene he represents and talks about? Black Britain

Black people be listening to black music and white people be listening to white music.  As long as that doesn't change we all know where we stand.