Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

36 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Because according to the pundits on this forum Halsey is considered mid. And you forgot sold out Europe arena tour that ended right when covid hit in 2020. Having the Nine Inch Nails connection to the last album is what made the small minded old gits perk up and say "hey, this is kinda cool". They never want to admit they got it wrong and will keep table thumping if they ended up headlining Other. Remember that the goal posts are always moved for artist that dont fit a certain sound or look. If its too different it isnt Worthy.

If you're referring to my previous comments I never criticised Halsey and plenty of people have commented enjoying her music.

My opinion on whether she's a good artist, I've seen her three times and think she puts on a stellar live show is completley seperate from my opinion on whether I think she will draw a crowd. I've not said she's not big enough by any metrics I've just said that even though she did headline Reading she did to the smallest crowd of the weekend. And at previous appearances at glastonbury she's not pulled a crowd.

I'm sure when booking acts they take the fact they've previously played to a small capacity of what the stage can hold will be taken into account. Let's wait and see, would love her to headline the other hopefully against Guns N Roses but I'm just offering why I think she won't with reasoning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I've not really been paying attention but wasn't Megan considered a flop? Should she be the comparison? 

Flop to who? I don’t think many people from efests went. A bit like how AM’s last headline set got bad reviews on here from people who weren’t even there.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t see someone who headlined R&L going third down at glasto. Think you’re underestimating what kind of slot she will pull.

It was generally shared I feel that Halsey was a week choice. MST was questioned much less.

1 hour ago, Scotdy said:

Ain't no way Lizzo is subbing the Pyramid, this is Efest small bubble thinking. She wouldn't fill my local.

Well she was an other sub equivalent last time and has blown up since then. Given her asking prices on tour I doubt they can afford to give much less.

3 hours ago, Scotdy said:

Ain't no way Lizzo is subbing the Pyramid, this is Efest small bubble thinking. She wouldn't fill my local.

Your local must have a 50,000+ capacity, because that's her level, 100%. She's not an artist whose music I follow particularly closely but I know from her previous performance and her growth in popularity and general profile due to her activism since then, it will have propelled her to a much more prominent slot. I'm still convinced she'll sub Elton

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Flop to who? I don’t think many people from efests went. A bit like how AM’s last headline set got bad reviews on here from people who weren’t even there.

I was there and it was extremely boring. Would imagine it would be even more boring this time around. I missed half of Portishead for it too, which is a crying shame.

10 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Is there anything concrete to suggest Pulp won't / can't headline?

Surely a far better headline prospect than either AM or GnR.

Well Emily Eavis hasn’t come out and said they’re not headlining no. But bands that are headlining festivals like Neighbourhood Weekender generally aren’t big enough to headline Glasto. 

They’d make a good sub. 

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Well Emily Eavis hasn’t come out and said they’re not headlining no. But bands that are headlining festivals like Neighbourhood Weekender generally aren’t big enough to headline Glasto. 

They’d make a good sub. 

They are one of those bands, Jarvis in particular it seems that seem to have an affinity with the festival historically. Not to mention one of the all time classic headline performances, and also one of the best, if not THE best secret Park set ever.

They would make a fantastic headliner, even if in pure size terms in might not make the most sense. If they were to sub AM, to me at least it would almost be an insult.

Edited by ericlered

27 minutes ago, ericlered said:

They are one of those bands, Jarvis in particular it seems that seem to have an affinity with the festival historically. Not to mention one of the all time classic headline performances, and also one of the best, if not THE best secret Park set ever.

They would make a fantastic headliner, even if in pure size terms in might not make the most sense. If they were to sub AM, to me at least it would almost be an insult.

There’s way more to what makes a headliner than just that. Good / quality live act doesn’t mean you’re a headliner.

Edited by Matt42

28 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Affinity is great, but that classic headline was a looong time ago.  You could probably say similar things about Chemical Brothers or Mik artistic.  Maybe one of the best secret sets, but that was a long time ago too.  They're great and all, but they have a great future behind them - I don't see what current appeal they have (happy to hear otherwise, but as said above they're headlining smaller festivals).  They were always brilliant, and Jarvis is an icon, but never one of the biggest acts in the world.  Wasn't their headline set a bit of a bump up?  They may have smashed it out of [The Park], but even then it was a bit of a stretch (i.e. they wouldn't have headlined if someone else was available presumably)

41 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Didnt MTS fail to sell out Brixton Academy in august or something? 

Yeah either she didn’t or she struggled to do it. Was quite a last minute show though from what I remember. 
She’s an odd one as she also had one of the bigger headline crowds at R&L last year. 

I reckon she must attract a large casual audience who would see her at a festival and know the hits but not necessarily go to her own shows

14 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Affinity is great, but that classic headline was a looong time ago.  You could probably say similar things about Chemical Brothers or Mik artistic.  Maybe one of the best secret sets, but that was a long time ago too.  They're great and all, but they have a great future behind them - I don't see what current appeal they have (happy to hear otherwise, but as said above they're headlining smaller festivals).  They were always brilliant, and Jarvis is an icon, but never one of the biggest acts in the world.  Wasn't their headline set a bit of a bump up?  They may have smashed it out of [The Park], but even then it was a bit of a stretch (i.e. they wouldn't have headlined if someone else was available presumably)

They headlined in 1995 as a last minute stand in for the Stone Roses, and again in 1998.

Who knows if they would / could have headlined in 2011 but they had to play the secret set, due to the fact they were advertised as exclusive to the Wireless Festival at Hyde Park that was the weekend after Glasto. Plenty of acts headline who have very little current appeal. Even the great David Bowie headlined in 2000 when he hadn't been flavour of the month for a very very long time and many questioned the booking. See how that turned out.

Presumably there would be a lot of people getting very excited if Blur were to headline again, and I don't see much difference between them and Pulp, with regards to relevance over the last 20 years, apart from one rather average Blur album in 2015. No doubt Oasis would headline in a heartbeat if they reformed as well.

Edited by ericlered

1 minute ago, ericlered said:

They headlined in 1995 as a last minute stand in for the Stone Roses, and again in 1998.

Who knows if they would / could have headlined in 2011 but they had to play the secret set, due to the fact they were advertised as exclusive to the Wireless Festival at Hyde Park that was the weekend after Glasto. Plenty of acts headline who have very little current appeal. Even the great David Bowie headlined in 2000 when he hadn't been flavour of the month for a very very long time and many questioned the booking. See how that turned out.

My understanding of Bowie was that he was touring with hit-less setlists in the run up to Glastonbury, everyone excited to see him was coming away disappointed.  People who were his fans, and had spent money to see him, rightly assumed it'd tank.  He turned up to Glastonbury and played the hits, and that went well.  

If Pulp turned up and played their hits I'm sure it'd be great - and maybe a missed opportunity in 2011 - but how much different from 1995/98 would it be?   Versus when had Bowie previously played, I think it hadn't been since one of the very first Glastonbury's.  I'll leave it to someone else to compare Bowie and Pulps hits - they both have/had plenty.

1 hour ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Yeah either she didn’t or she struggled to do it. Was quite a last minute show though from what I remember. 
She’s an odd one as she also had one of the bigger headline crowds at R&L last year. 

I reckon she must attract a large casual audience who would see her at a festival and know the hits but not necessarily go to her own shows

Yeah I agree, think that may be the case for a lot of the similar big pop acts.