2024 Headliners

10 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Why do we think not a single act has been officially announced yet? Usually we have a headliner or legend by now, right?

Because they haven't.

There's been years where nobody got announced until much later than this.

35 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Stevie has his own show(s) to announce/sell, likewise for Dua, Coldplay not really worth announcing as they’re always there, and Shania not exactly the biggest Sunday legend so not really worth announcing either.

Emily did say they hoped to announce the full lineup all at once so looks like that’s what’s gonna happen.

I wouldn't say Shania isn't worth a standalone announcement, it's certainly better than Cat Stevens.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I wouldn't say Shania isn't worth a standalone announcement, it's certainly better than Cat Stevens.

Just think her announcement would receive a whole lot of ‘she’s only got 2 songs!!’ and general complaining from the moaners rather than the excitement they want to build with a first announcement. She’s hardly on a Dolly, Kylie etc level, even if I do think her show will be tons of fun. 

2 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Just think her announcement would receive a whole lot of ‘she’s only got 2 songs!!’ and general complaining from the moaners rather than the excitement they want to build with a first announcement. She’s hardly on a Dolly, Kylie etc level, even if I do think her show will be tons of fun. 

She's not but who is on a Kylie level bangers really?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Horses for courses. Cat Stevens was pretty much the first thing in my clashfinder last year. Shania will have me whittling a wooden spoon in the green fields if there’s nothing better to watch!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Horses for courses. Cat Stevens was pretty much the first thing in my clashfinder last year. Shania will have me whittling a wooden spoon in the green fields if there’s nothing better to watch!

Yes it is. I had one song from Cat I'd have listened to whereas I've got 7 at least from Shania

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

I seem to remember my GCSE and A-levels coinciding with Glastonbury in fairness so it wasn't exactly practical to have gone back in the day. Though I'm presuming there might be a few throwing in a convenient sickie to make it.

Good point

1 person pulling a sickie to go with family maybe - getting a whole group to get tickets and then all decide to pull sickies seems unlikely in large quantities!

Mind you my last a level was around the 12th - i drove to IOW fest after my last exam on the friday!

24 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Same, he was pretty well received where I was, folks singing along.   Plus he did a couple of nice covers with Nina Simone and George Harrison and did some chat which fitted the traditional festival vibe, so can understand if it's true that ME is a fan. 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Same, he was pretty well received where I was, folks singing along.   Plus he did a couple of nice covers with Nina Simone and George Harrison and did some chat which fitted the traditional festival vibe, so can understand if it's true that ME is a fan. 

?

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Stevie has his own show(s) to announce/sell, likewise for Dua, Coldplay not really worth announcing as they’re always there, and Shania not exactly the biggest Sunday legend so not really worth announcing either.

Emily did say they hoped to announce the full lineup all at once so looks like that’s what’s gonna happen.

Fairly depressing when you put it like this. In context of who is touring in similar timeframe the cup hardly runneth over.

Bit of pressure on t'Other and West Holts to deliver this year.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Good point

1 person pulling a sickie to go with family maybe - getting a whole group to get tickets and then all decide to pull sickies seems unlikely in large quantities!

Mind you my last a level was around the 12th - i drove to IOW fest after my last exam on the friday!

That option exists as well tbf. I say this as someone fully unaware of what dates their exams were and what festivals they may or may not have coincided with. 

Could be me/my weird brain but theres a shift after happening. The natural process of biggest stars appearing has diminished slightly.

Pearl Jam/Swift/Green Day/'Mode - to not get even one of these 4 potential debutants seems strange to me. Ignore Madge. Ignore the biggies that are hovvering around but have played in the past like Springsteen, Blur, Tallica etc. Stevie/Dua/Coldplay is a glum trio.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

?

I can't even pretend that I've got sausage fingers, but they and SwiftKey often combine to make me look a fool (well that's my excuse rather than decades of getting muntered)

Edited by clarkete

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Could be me/my weird brain but theres a shift after happening. The natural process of biggest stars appearing has diminished slightly.

Pearl Jam/Swift/Green Day/'Mode - to not get even one of these 4 potential debutants seems strange to me. Ignore Madge. Ignore the biggies that are hovvering around but have played in the past like Springsteen, Blur, Tallica etc. Stevie/Dua/Coldplay is a glum trio.

I think that list feels like something of a mix of unrealistic and unwanted.

Taylor Swift would be an amazing get, and will still happen one day, but considering her current status and especially the nature of the tour she's doing wouldn't currently be a realistic possibility (just need to watch the concert film to see how difficult it'd be).

Green Day could viably headline, and would have some people excited, but for probably a majority of the audience still wouldn't be seen as any more exciting than the trio we do have. Same to an even greater extent with Depeche Mode.

Can't imagine the festival would even consider Pearl Jam for the top spot in 2024, unless they got truly desperate. Maybe 25 years ago they'd have been in the conversation.

• Upvote 1