2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Joey Peeps said:

BBC radio is free.

It isn't actually in that everyone who works there gets paid so it costs money to run and it is funded from the license fee. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

I sadly think the BBC is one of the culture wars that the Tories started. People used to appreciate how great the BBC was and it's one of the few British institutions that is the envy of the world so of course the tories have to try and destroy it.

Anyway we'll get confirmation of the headliners this week.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Aaaaaaaaanyway  back to the headliners............ 

I did state on here that id listened to SZA a fair bit and could take it or leave it, however after listening to her for another few days, she does have a fair few great tunes amongst the "Take it or leave it" tracks. 

Always worth checking out vids of live performances too which, by all accounts....... look very impressive

I've had a brief listen on Spotify and feel a bit the same, but she's a lot better than the standard pop template stuff I expected. Defiitely the most interesting of the main rumoured headliners and would be a good booking. Hope they go with her.

Just now, Chip Batch said:

I've had a brief listen on Spotify and feel a bit the same, but she's a lot better than the standard pop template stuff I expected. Defiitely the most interesting of the main rumoured headliners and would be a good booking. Hope they go with her.

I think SZA is a fantastic artists, just a little sceptical on how well it will translate to the Pyramid

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

I think SZA is a fantastic artists, just a little sceptical on how well it will translate to the Pyramid

Looking forward to finding out from the people who go and watch her. I hope she absolutely smashes it. 

40 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

thats not the point tho is it - of course i do... but only because i am forced to pay the BBC tax.

if there was a choice involved, then no, i would not watch or listen to anything on the BBC.

So your pseudo-Express-comment-pages rant is about a service you choose to use and which hugely backs a music and festival scene that you presumably enjoy?

Some talk as though ours is the only public broadcaster, far from it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_broadcasters_by_country

Many of those are directly funded by taxes.  Ours has got a great global reputation, for phenomenal content and innovation.   Plus of course ever since the tories betrayed their manifesto promise the beeb pay to fund free telly for pensioners. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

It's designed to do that. It should just be part of general taxation and nobody, except for people who form their world-view from the Daily Mail opinion pages, would bat an eyelid.

having it separate is good i think, harder for it to get cut into oblivion

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

you choose to use

ONCE AGAIN - choosing to use it is not the point.

being forced to pay for it is.

if it was a subscription service - then great no problem, i choose not to pay, i don't watch, wonderful.

With the Sunday evening audience probably being the largest for TV audiences would it make sense for Coldplay to be doing the Sunday night, can that actually happen with dates available? or is it likely that they would not put SZA and Dua on two nights in a row?  What are peoples thoughts - what's the general consensus?

1 minute ago, -TLR- said:

ONCE AGAIN - choosing to use it is not the point.

being forced to pay for it is.

if it was a subscription service - then great no problem, i choose not to pay, i don't watch, wonderful.

Apologies, but the reason I'm impassioned about it is that it not being subscription and not being ad funded is exactly:-

1. What ensures it's existence - you can clearly see the many threats to many broadcast or streaming services currently. 

2. What makes them special - masses of what they do, including what we value, wouldn't happen with pressure of other commercial forces.  Music coverage would merely be the largest commercial artists, as indeed it has been for many other broadcasters. 

• Like 1

If £2.20 a week for a TV license is that much of an issue to anyone then I'm afraid they probably live a sheltered life.

If you feel abused because you're "forced" to pay it .........(which you aren't)......... maybe take a look around the world at other issues that are far more pressing and worrying than paying a small fee for a TV license. 

you could even move to America, the land of the free where you're "forced" to pay  $300 to see a doctor if you cant afford insurance. 

ANYWAY ........................ WHOS HEADLINING AND ON WHAT NIGHTS? 

10 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

With the Sunday evening audience probably being the largest for TV audiences would it make sense for Coldplay to be doing the Sunday night, can that actually happen with dates available? or is it likely that they would not put SZA and Dua on two nights in a row?  What are peoples thoughts - what's the general consensus?

Unfortunately I think they will put Coldplay on the Sunday (unfortunate for me as I want to see them and I have work at 6am the next day!) as it would be a far more popular choice for the Sunday tickets and they will have the biggest TV audience which Coldplay would want.

6 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

If £2.20 a week for a TV license is that much of an issue to anyone then I'm afraid they probably live a sheltered life.

If you feel abused because you're "forced" to pay it .........(which you aren't)......... maybe take a look around the world at other issues that are far more pressing and worrying than paying a small fee for a TV license. 

you could even move to America, the land of the free where you're "forced" to pay  $300 to see a doctor if you cant afford insurance. 

ANYWAY ........................ WHOS HEADLINING AND ON WHAT NIGHTS? 

Gary Lineker, Fiona Bruce & Greg James.

And you will be FORCED to pay to see them.

loads of taxes go on stuff I don't use.  That's kind of the point.  Go down this road and you end up with rich people with private militias who don't want their taxes to spent on police for everyone.  Or people without kids not wanting their taxes spent on schools.  Etc.

7 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Unfortunately I think they will put Coldplay on the Sunday (unfortunate for me as I want to see them and I have work at 6am the next day!) as it would be a far more popular choice for the Sunday tickets and they will have the biggest TV audience which Coldplay would want.

Yes, I remember talking  with a Sunday ticket holder in 2022 pre festival and they weren’t too happy about missing Macca, they had thought he would definitely be the Sunday headliner. Coldplay would be the Sunday choice with Stevie Wonder not booked .