2024 Headliners

7 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Possibly my favourite Glastonbury set ever

One of mine definitely. At the end of such a grim day (relatively speaking) it was a real soul burner. Incredible atmosphere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I'd take it.  Great live band with a huge catalogue of tunes.  They'd be great.

One of those where I've always just assumed they'd have to be Legends tops because their own tour sales are pretty sloppy.

Know they did a BST show not too long ago, but they were not even eighty percent full at Leeds on a short arena tour last year.

SZA feels like a gamble of a booking, but perhaps no more than some others we've been bouncing around as eligible shouts.

At the end of the day, there's big Eilish shades to me - female international breakthrough artist, on a second album tour, having just stepped up to do arenas over here for the first time and with plenty of zeitgeist backing. The only knock is that she probably doesn't have as many obvious crossover hits as the former, and perhaps not quite the overall commercial pull either.

I'm also loathed to say that four nights at The O2 automatically equates you to a Pyramid headline slot, because Usher is doing... eight, is it? Next year? And I'm not sure we'd seriously talk him up as a Pyramid headliner. But I can see entirely why Emily may have gone for SZA.

12 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

LCD are surely a lock-in for the festival? The APE blurb that says that show will be “one of only 2 UK shows this year” and they’re in Ireland on the 26th June.

Means f**k all. Just marketing guff. They’ll be there.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

One of those where I've always just assumed they'd have to be Legends tops because their own tour sales are pretty sloppy.

Know they did a BST show not too long ago, but they were not even eighty percent full at Leeds on a short arena tour last year.

They’re bang average live too. Legend at best, but I’d be elsewhere.

Just now, GrumpyRaver said:

They’re bang average live too. Legend at best, but I’d be elsewhere.

Yeah, they're one of the most reliable three-star acts to see live. I enjoy 'em! But I'm never blown away.

Now, if you want an eighties band with a proper crisp thud to their sound, OMD were excellent in Leeds last night. A lot of programming work in there - they flubbed a few intros - but the sound is terrific.

Not sure they'd have the crossover tunes to justify more than an hour though. *ducks for cover*

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd be delighted if LCD Soundsystem were there, but I remain baffled that they'd be a Pyramid sub?

Fits with the type of things they tend to programme… always seems to be somebody like The National, Nick Cave, Beck, the XX in the mix.  They couldn’t do Other headline again, would probably see WH or Woodsies as too much of a step down at this point in their career, but playing the big one is a new thing for them so could have persuaded them.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Fits with the type of things they tend to programme… always seems to be somebody like The National, Nick Cave, Beck, the XX in the mix.  They couldn’t do Other headline again, would probably see WH or Woodsies as too much of a step down at this point in their career, but playing the big one is a new thing for them so could have persuaded them.

I'd love 'em there, but... yeah, it just doesn't feel like the fit.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I say always… obvs not last year. But there is no pattern.

15 hours ago, tarw said:

I think that friendly advice on crowd crust would be more beneficial. No point getting people to fold chairs and blankets to make space if no one can get to it. 

Spot on.

Paul McCartney 2022 I was stood about 20 m in from the toilets in the field that are by the cider bus entrance/exit....went out to go to the toilet and to get a pint...easily strolled out through the toilets, but when i came back in with my beer there was a huge amount of people stood on the path or on the little mound after it....refusing to move 'there's no room through here mate'   etc - 'well there is as i've just come from it' 

managed to get through, and popped out in the main field like a cork out of a champagne bottle...turned round and had to laugh at the masses amount of space further in the field and a massive bottleneck of people stood by the toilets/path thinking that the field was full.

I think what happens is people turn up and for whatever reason stand near the edge, then others arriving after think that the field is full because people are already stood at the edge so just stand next to them, that in turn creates the crust/barrier...which then makes everyone else think the field is full when in reality further into it there's lots of space.

Edited by gooner1990

12 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Given that Green Day have no prior relationship with the festival I think it’s extremely unlikely they’ll be making their first appearance doing a secret set, even if it is a highly televised one like Foos last year. 

Tbf, they have previously done secret sets at Reading, so it could be plausible, and I think it would be a really cool way to make your Glastonbury debut. Though it would have to be on the Sunday, given they're in Dublin on the Thursday and Wembley on the Saturday.

Though for me, of the 3 big US acts in the area, I think Killers are likeliest. It would be the safe choice given they've done a secret set in 2017 and an El Pointo top spot in 2019, but that free weekend is a huge hint at something being up, whereas KoL look busy and Green Day could easily just be going home after doing Wembley on Glasto Saturday.

33 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Reminded me of the time I really wanted to see Beck a few days after he subbed Coldplay in 2016 but I just couldn't find a ticket. Which was a bummer.

9 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

One of mine definitely. At the end of such a grim day (relatively speaking) it was a real soul burner. Incredible atmosphere.

It was such a tough weekend with the weather, the referendum and the physical exertion of the mud. I didn't think I could get through it but bloody hell, it was spectacular. So wonderfully emotional. They got every single element completely right. Definitely in my top five Glastonbury sets of all time

• Upvote 1