2024 Headliners

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Well thank f**k for that.

real-reason-why-robbie-williams-left-take-that-revealed.jpg.9f1639e4062630b72db54e64fe538552.jpg

Edit: I'm only half kidding. Robbie would be an absolute blast (in the legend slot, not headlining), I'd just need to make sure not to look at him or his trademark smugness would irritate the everloving sh*t out of me.

I agree on both fronts. I think he’d be a brilliant legend slot booking who would do a superb job. I just can’t stand him and would be absolutely nowhere near.

real-reason-why-robbie-williams-left-take-that-revealed.jpg.9f1639e4062630b72db54e64fe538552.jpg

Edit: I'm only half kidding. Robbie would be an absolute blast (in the legend slot, not headlining), I'd just need to make sure not to look at him or his trademark smugness would irritate the everloving sh*t out of me.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I agree on both fronts. I think he’d be a brilliant legend slot booking who would do a superb job. I just can’t stand him and would be absolutely nowhere near.

So... we're saying mixed feelings on him turning up?

A tangent from the Dua Lipa thread, on the basis that Houdini hasn't quite been the massively successful banger she must have been hoping for... has there ever been a time Glasto booked a headliner on the back of a successful album and subsequent momentum, only to have them stumble a bit post-signing but pre-performing?

I'm not suggesting Dua is in that place, I just started wondering whether that has ever happened.

Had a look through the last twenty or so years of headliners and… not really! Glastonbury doesn’t really tend to book headliners until they’re pretty solidified as sure-fire headliners in the making, and even when they have taken ‘risks’ in giving the bump up to acts for one of their first headliner gigs (Coldplay, Radiohead, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers. Kings of Leon, Mumfords, Stormzy etc) it’s paid off as the act has gone from strength to strength both before the festival happens and after.

Even with Houdini not doing the numbers most people predicted, Dua’s album would have to be a pretty big disaster for her to look like a crap booking in six months time, and she’s got more than enough goodwill from Future Nostalgia to see her through a potential disappointing follow up. 

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Had a look through the last twenty or so years of headliners and… not really! Glastonbury doesn’t really tend to book headliners until they’re pretty solidified as sure-fire headliners in the making, and even when they have taken ‘risks’ in giving the bump up to acts for one of their first headliner gigs (Coldplay, Radiohead, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers. Kings of Leon, Mumfords, Stormzy etc) it’s paid off as the act has gone from strength to strength both before the festival happens and after.

Even with Houdini not doing the numbers most people predicted, Dua’s album would have to be a pretty big disaster for her to look like a crap booking in six months time, and she’s got more than enough goodwill from Future Nostalgia to see her through a potential disappointing follow up. 

Dua had a proper smash hit in the summer too, Houdini ‘only’ getting to number 2 isn’t going to hold her back any. Shes absolutely a headliner.

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

You forgot that he's completely bobbins and the British (and expat) community have been brainwashed otherwise. One good song that's it. It's not Angels either.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

You forgot that he's completely bobbins and the British (and expat) community have been brainwashed otherwise. One good song that's it. It's not Angels either.

Just listened to a bit of "that" song. Average. Not even good. Anyone who's at that Robbie set is akin (or at least a collaborator) to those who pick Perfect by Ed Sheeran as their wedding song. Jesus f**king Christ. 16 percent of this f**king country. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It’s not only Robbie, the brainwashing extends to dozens of bands and artists

19 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Jesus f**king Christ. 16 percent of this f**king country. 

Sadly I’m not surprised

50 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I was working at HMV when 'I've Been Expecting You' came out, and they piped it through the speakers all day every day. I gave up resisting and leant into it. Ended up enjoying it but completely unable to trust my own judgement.

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

I was at a cremation a few years ago and Angels was played . The guy sitting behind me muttered aw for f%cks  sake not this again, third time this year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, On The Blend said:

It’s hardly the pop-punk invasion is it

No Doubt, Rocket From The Crypt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones have also all played. I saw the Deftones back in 98 too, not quite pop punk not not a 1000 miles away from Green Day's music. Also the likes of A, Kenickie, Feeder and Ash for a more UK based version of pop punk.

Edited by Johnnyseven

28 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

No Doubt, Rocket From The Crypt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones have also all played. I saw the Deftones back in 98 too, not quite pop punk not not a 1000 miles away from Green Day's music. Also the likes of A, Kenickie, Feeder and Ash for a more UK based version of pop punk.

The thing is No Doubt we’re actually good, unlike any of the rest

No surprise really as No Doubt weren’t “Pop Punk”, whatever the f**k that is.

Edited by Skip997

On 12/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, ourkid1984 said:

I was just looking at Green Day's tour and it appears they have Friday and Sunday of Glastonbury available. The Friday is less likely as they are in Dublin the night before but Sunday is the day after their Wembley show and although it would mean 2 nights in a row it isn't unheard of for them and they do have a month off before their American tour. 

In theory, yeah, they could, but I feel like it would be a surprise to see them add Glastonbury at this point having already broken cover with doing Wembley, Manchester, Glasgow and the IOW festival exclusive.

I do think they have enough songs to have made a go of it, or even do an hour "Churn-Ups" style set, but equally, I'm struggling to see it happening now.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

The thing is No Doubt we’re actually good, unlike any of the rest

No surprise really as No Doubt weren’t “Pop Punk”, whatever the f**k that is.

Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't call Green Day pop punk as that label makes me think of things like Busted or McFly. No Doubt had roots in ska-punk and went in a pop direction though so I guess they could be considered though. My memories of music back then was that there weren't so many labels for things. The likes of Melody Maker and NME would feature indie, rock, metal, techno, house, trance and it was just considered alternative/indie rock or dance and people tended to be into allsorts rather than one specific thing. So Green Day, Offspring, Deftones, No Doubt was all alternative rock rather it's own micro genre that it might have subsequently been given in hindsight. So I doubt the festival were boycotting pop-punk as pop-punk as a genre didn't exist at the time. I imagine the situation would have been much the same as now, if these bands were popular at the time, on the radar of the bookers, were touring, were available and were willing to play for Glastonbury's fee they would have been on the bill.

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't call Green Day pop punk as that label makes me think of things like Busted or McFly. No Doubt had roots in ska-punk and went in a pop direction though so I guess they could be considered though. My memories of music back then was that there weren't labels for things. The likes of Melody Maker and NME would feature indie, rock, metal, techno, house, trance and it was considered alternative rock or dance and people tended to be into allsorts rather than one specific thing, so Green Day, Offspring, Deftones was all called rock or alternative rather it's own micro genre that it might have subsequently been given in hindsight.

Tend to agree, there are far too many nonsense “sub genres” these days. 

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was at a cremation a few years ago and Angels was played . The guy sitting behind me muttered aw for f%cks  sake not this again, third time this year. 

My stepdad is talking about having it at his funeral. Trying not to get written out of the will if I change it without his say so... 🤣

• Upvote 2