2024 Headliners

5 hours ago, stuie said:

The fact that they think she was playing the legend slot is enough for me to call this bullshit. 

Why? The only time she played at a festival in the last 30 years was a short slot at Coachella. She doesn't want to compromise her full headlining set. 

What an appallingly written article, regardless of whether there's any merit to it.

There are enough inaccuracies to make me doubt it, but none of the inaccuracies are attributed to the source, just the writer who could have just gotten mixed up.

They've been after Madge for many years and I believe it's cost that's usually gotten in the way, so the idea they'd only find out how expensive she'd be when talks are advanced strikes me as unlikely. Like others have said, the fee, or rough approximate, would surely have come up quite early on.

This could also be a deliberate leak as part of last-ditch negotiation tactics, albeit pretty desperate.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

What an appallingly written article, regardless of whether there's any merit to it.

There are enough inaccuracies to make me doubt it, but none of the inaccuracies are attributed to the source, just the writer who could have just gotten mixed up.

They've been after Madge for many years and I believe it's cost that's usually gotten in the way, so the idea they'd only find out how expensive she'd be when talks are advanced strikes me as unlikely. Like others have said, the fee, or rough approximate, would surely have come up quite early on.

This could also be a deliberate leak as part of last-ditch negotiation tactics, albeit pretty desperate.

Or an attempt to quieten things down if she has tickets to sell elsewhere 

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As others have pointed out it seems awfully weird that they would get to mid-December before anyone asked her team how much she was going to cost.

Needs Michael to do the financial negotiations. Didn’t he fix Joe Rush back in 1985 with a wad of tenners he had in his kitchen?

Could this be plausible?:

1. Madge is who Emily was talking about when saying she got a call from a huge American star saying they’ll be available.

2. The conversation therefore started around availability rather than cost.

3. The booking team wet themselves with excitement and discussed a provisional fee which was agreed in principle. 

4. Madge got BST to agree to bring her full tour production to Hyde Park, and they paid for it. 

5. She then decided she wanted to do the same at Glastonbury, increasing costs dramatically and beyond what GFL is willing to pay. Deal’s dead.

I mean, I hope not. But who knows 🤷‍♂️

Edited by kalifire

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Could this be plausible?:

1. Madge is who Emily was talking about when saying she got a call from a huge American star saying they’ll be available.

2. The conversation therefore started around availability rather than cost.

3. The booking team wet themselves with excitement and discussed a provisional fee which was agreed in principle. 

4. Madge got BST to agree to bring her full tour production to Hyde Park, and they paid for it. 

5. She then decided she wanted to do the same at Glastonbury, increasing costs dramatically and beyond what GFL is willing to pay. Deal’s dead.

I mean, I hope not. But who knows 🤷‍♂️

Yes it's plausible, but probably not stretching over a couple months. Her full tour production was never viable so if that became a deal breaker then she was instantly out of the conversation.

Cost isn't even the biggest obstacle to doing the full tour production. It's going to be the ability to build/break all of the extra staging so that the stage can be used for (and not impact on) other acts. Same will apply to BST to a slightly lesser degree so even there bringing the full tour isn't an easy ask unless she basically has a full weekend to herself (which they probably would do).

Madonna was always going to have to significantly lower her fee to play Glastonbury, I'm sure her team knew this and the festival would have made it clear from the start. My gut feeling with Madonna was that she is too expensive but with the amount of talk about her, I had come round to thinking it may happen. It still could but it's far from surprising news if they just won't pay what she wants.

By all accounts this isn’t the first time they’ve asked the question of Madge only for it not to get any further than the number quoted. So for them to get this far into discussions there must have been a fair bit of encouragement on both sides that it was doable.

It is possible that Madge has suddenly decided she wants some bit of staging or screens or whatever that makes it unworkable on the current package.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

By all accounts this isn’t the first time they’ve asked the question of Madge only for it not to get any further than the number quoted. So for them to get this far into discussions there must have been a fair bit of encouragement on both sides that it was doable.

It is possible that Madge has suddenly decided she wants some bit of staging or screens or whatever that makes it unworkable on the current package.

What does she need extra staging and screening for? Hasn't she been singing to a backing track with no live band? Or did I read that wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

What does she need extra staging and screening for? Hasn't she been singing to a backing track with no live band? Or did I read that wrong. 

Her show doesn’t have a live band, that’s true, but it a hugely theatrical production. Were taking multiple runways and catwalks, full cast of backing dancers, screens that raise and lower as the song dictates. a giant levitating box that comes out over the crowd, a huge revolving carousel complete with naked gyratign men that comes out of the floor for Like A Prayer….

Obviously all that wouldn’t fit onto the Pyramid, but neither would it just be her on her own on stage either.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

Just give her whatever she wants damn it. I know that’s obviously easier said than done… but they budged big time for the Stones and Madonna is definitely in the same bracket of ‘one chance to make this happen megastar’. Just tell Coldplay they’re doing it for free this time and have Kaiser Chiefs sub them to make some spare money. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno. If they're back to square one we may not hear a dickie bird until they have a replacement lined up and that may not be an easy task.

I meant we’ll know if Madge is a BST exclusive when BST announce, which should be quite soon (next month?).