2024 Headliners

So long none of them are U2 I'll be happy....

Was majorly disappointed with their set on pointy, and who thought Morrissey was a good sub for them wants a good kicking. Highlight of that night was Biffy - and I'm not normally a fan of theirs....

I'd 100% be up for a bit of Steve Nicks or Coldplay (so long as they can stop "He who should not be named" popping up all over the festival as a guest singer.

And Please a decent DJ Headlining the Other - Skrillex, Marshmello, Chems, I'd kill for Pendulum or Knife Party on a decent sized stage.

Edited by Penrhos

27 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

In fact I watched that 2011 gig back on YouTube for the first time last weekend after a few nibbles of mushroom-infused-chocolates and it propelled me back to that night, my first ever Glasto headliner experience. 

Me and my mate were talking about the stick that they sometimes get, and the accusation that they're  boring or depressing. About half way through I asked, when does the boring sh*t happen because this is absolutely euphoric. His professionalism, their lyrics, their energy, the craftsmanship of the band who are utterly brilliant musicians.

If anyone can watch that gig in full and think it's sh*t I'd question their taste.

Mushrooms you say? 

brass-fix_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqC89Ub9krjGUqZw_QKrnOVceBC9hlcNZIMz315GHHbAI.jpg

13 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

I'll be nowhere near Coldplay but it's a demonstrably huge booking, what with them being one of the biggest bands in the world an' all. I always think there's a bit of reverse classism with them, if they were four lads from Salford or Glasgow I'm not sure there would be the same level of opprobrium.  It does a feels a little uninspired though probably as their last time doesn't really feel like six years ago because the world stopped for two years, and they've obviously done that slot a load of times. But they'll smash it no doubt. Hoping for something with heavy beats on the Other at the same time though. 

Yeh even as someone who really wants them there, selfishly as I've only seen them once, it seems awfully close to their last performance. Felt the same about Arctics - 2013 was a masterclass for me, they should not have been there this year for sh*t.

38 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

In fact I watched that 2011 gig back on YouTube for the first time last weekend after a few nibbles of mushroom-infused-chocolates and it propelled me back to that night, my first ever Glasto headliner experience. 

Me and my mate were talking about the stick that they sometimes get, and the accusation that they're  boring or depressing. About half way through I asked, when does the boring sh*t happen because this is absolutely euphoric. His professionalism, their lyrics, their energy, the craftsmanship of the band who are utterly brilliant musicians.

If anyone can watch that gig in full and think it's sh*t I'd question their taste.

I focus a lot on 2016 but yes 2011 was incredible too. Pretty perfect from start to finish 

That Wonderful World intro to  Fix You with the changed lyrics for Glastonbury gets me every time 

Also Life is for Living with the fireworks and countless other moments. What a night it was 

I listen to the Viva La Vida version on their Live 2012 album on Spotify a lot, as it was recorded at that gig 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2011 was amazing. I didn't bother with 2016 as they're just getting more sh*t as the years go by. Having watched it back on TV, I'm happy with that choice, and them bringing out a f**king Bee Gee just backed up my theory.

But if it is them, they'll get a huge crowd and go down a storm. If there's nowt against them, and the setlist improves, and I get a ticket, I could even be tempted along.

17 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

So long none of them are U2 I'll be happy....

Was majorly disappointed with their set on pointy, and who thought Morrissey was a good sub for them wants a good kicking. Highlight of that night was Biffy - and I'm not normally a fan of theirs....

I'd 100% be up for a bit of Steve Nicks or Coldplay (so long as they can stop "He should not be named" popping up all over the festival as a guest singer.

And Please a decent DJ Headlining the Other - Skrillex, Marshmello, Chems, I'd kill for Pendulum or Knife Party on a decent sized stage.

U2 were f**king ace

Just now, Gnomicide said:

2011 was amazing. I didn't bother with 2016 as they're just getting more sh*t as the years go by. Having watched it back on TV, I'm happy with that choice, and them bringing out a f**king Bee Gee just backed up my theory.

But if it is them, they'll get a huge crowd and go down a storm. If there's nowt against them, and the setlist improves, and I get a ticket, I could even be tempted along.

2016 was better, man.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

A coldplay setlist improving means cutting half of the songs.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I focus a lot on 2016 but yes 2011 was incredible too. Pretty perfect from start to finish 

That Wonderful World intro to  Fix You with the changed lyrics for Glastonbury gets me every time 

Also Life is for Living with the fireworks and countless other moments. What a night it was 

I didn't know what had hit me. That 'Wonderful World' was so beautifully done. Even tracks I wasn't arsed about (Lost! for example) were so brilliantly placed and delivered. Walking away from the Pyramid after, my mate kept restarting the chant from Viva la Vida, the atmosphere was electric.

Chris Martin is an absolute professional and he was in the peak of his powers that night.

If only they'd have whacked in White Shadow...but now I'm being picky!

Like Coldplay has  a 2 1/2 hour show now and the "good" songs get done acoustic on their b stages. So maybe if they cut the music of the spheres stuff and play those other songs full band itll be nice. They really should try to bust out deep cuts from the first 3 albums just to spice it up. At least they know to cut all the filler out from a prior release when they put a new record out. But they should stop putting out new records anyway. The one good thing is they arent stuck with their production so maybe theres variety. But thats asking for too much. Maybe if they knew it was their farewell or last ever glasto they would appease people.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It really wasn't. Having a flashing wristband doesn't make a set better.

What was the deal here... how did they give them out? One of two Glasto's I've not been to since 2011 and I've always wondered how the hell they gave these out? I watched this set from a little hostel in Laos, absolutely smashed with my Mrs asleep, knowing 20+ mates were at Glasto. Bittersweet, first world problems!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

What was the deal here... how did they give them out? One of two Glasto's I've not been to since 2011 and I've always wondered how the hell they gave these out? I watched this set from a little hostel in Laos, absolutely smashed with my Mrs asleep, knowing 20+ mates were at Glasto. Bittersweet, first world problems!

They were being given out around the camp sites beforehand and as you entered the field. You couldn't really escape being offered one. I've still got a few in my loft. They'll probably catch fire one day and burn the house down.

One of my top 10 headliners.

Edited by Ommadawn

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

They were being given out around the camp sites beforehand and as you entered the field. You couldn't really escape being offered one. I've still got a few in my loft. They'll probably catch fire one day and burn the house down.

One of my top 10 headliners.

Get on the blower to Chris and sue him if so me mon

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

In 2016 you couldn't escape - the mud stuck you there for the entire set.....

2016 broke my missus - she's not been since (maybe this year if I can get her a ticket on Sunday).

Sorry to bring the pessimism. But I just assume next year will be a 2016 like mud bath. It’s been nice for too many in a row now so it just must be wet next year.  Because, science. 

4 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Sorry to bring the pessimism. But I just assume next year will be a 2016 like mud bath. It’s been nice for too many in a row now so it just must be wet next year.  Because, science. 

It's either going to be a mud bath or like a desert. who knows with Global warming 

Coldplay are the sort of soppy buggers to throw out their tour setlist and do something special for Glastonbury like doing a set drawn just from the first couple of albums exactly like people want. They will be thinking about how they top 2016.

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

MIf there's nowt against them, and the setlist improves, and I get a ticket, I could even be tempted along.

This has been mooted in our WhatApp as well and I'm not entirely against the idea. Mellowing with age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Coldplay are the sort of soppy buggers to throw out their tour setlist and do something special for Glastonbury like doing a set drawn just from the first couple of albums exactly like people want. They will be thinking about how they top 2016.

They don’t really strike me as a band to basically admit ‘the last decade of material we’ve released sucks and nobody wants to hear it’, and they might well have a new album out by then too which I’m sure they’d be keen on playing from. 

Tbh, even though the newer stuff probably isn’t as popular or as good as their old stuff, it lends itself to a more energetic show rather than Chris just plonked behind a piano for the most part so at least it’s got that… even though most of it is terrible.