2024 Headliners

I do think there's an 'apples and oranges' to any comparison between Dave and a US act like Frank Ocean/Tyler/Childish Gambino, purely because Glastonbury is always going to be much more likely to give a leg up to a UK act no matter who has more streams/number ones/sold out stadium tours. And this is even more pronounced if it's a genre outside the festival's "usual" for headliners historically. 

You are much more likely to get someone like Snoop Dogg or Eminem headlining the Pyramid than Frank Ocean or Tyler the Creator, even if the latter artists are more exciting, but you're also more likely to get Dave than Eminem because of that UK bias.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Tyler has his own little festival that sells out with no lineup announced in prior to ticket sales and Dave could never muster such a thing.  You can watch it this weekend if you want and see how he can pull all of it together cause of who he is friends with. Dave would be at the bottom of the schedule is he played.

the reason your mum doesnt knoe a certain artist is cause you lot wanna keep new and interesting artists off the big stages and just put the boring safe ones up there.

That's really interesting thank you for letting me know

Tyler has his own little festival that sells out with no lineup announced in prior to ticket sales and Dave could never muster such a thing.  You can watch it this weekend if you want and see how he can pull all of it together cause of who he is friends with. Dave would be at the bottom of the schedule is he played.

Still spectacularly failing to understand America is not the UK. 

the reason your mum doesnt knoe a certain artist is cause you lot wanna keep new and interesting artists off the big stages and just put the boring safe ones up there.

Do you know we don't do the bookings?

Just because America thinks (or tells you) they're interesting, doesn't mean they're any good...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Someone for the younger audience.  For example FredAgain would have done fairly well I’d imagine 

Yes, good shout. I very much doubt he would have taken it, though. Rumour has it, he was offered the Other headline slot for the Friday but turned it down. No doubt, he already has his future plan in place. Everything he seems to do appears to be deliberate and carefully mapped out

So you're trying to suggest that an American rapper does well in a country where rap is and always has been one of it's music focal points? Rappers and Hip hop acts are the first thing that enters my head musically when I think America. Doesn't mean it translates to the UK though. 

18 hours ago, american idiot said:

How is it not even close when Tyler has had more top 10 albums than him? Especially when half of Dave’s hits have come off the back of collaborating with Central Cee (who is exponentially more popular among young people), not solo work.

and I don’t mean to come off sounding like I don’t like Dave’s music, I do. He’d probably smash a headliner set. I’m just curious where your line of thinking comes from.

Dave has headlined R&L, Wireless etc before - Tyler has never done shows nearly that big here.

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Tyler has his own little festival that sells out with no lineup announced in prior to ticket sales and Dave could never muster such a thing.

Bad Bunny could also do this in the US yet couldn't sell out Pryzm Watford over here.

Suprefan with another stupid comparison (shocker!)

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

Dave has headlined R&L, Wireless etc before - Tyler has never done shows nearly that big here.

Bad Bunny could also do this in the US yet couldn't sell out Pryzm Watford over here.

Suprefan with another stupid comparison (shocker!)

tyler has headlined wireless... and parklife.

1 hour ago, american idiot said:

Hoped this would be an interesting conversation but can’t say I’m surprised it’s devolved so quickly into whatever this

Agreed. Thankfully Glastonbury is musically diverse, and seems to quite enjoy booking headliners that are a bit of a surprise and certain people moan, but then in hindsight turn out to be a great booking. So really anything could happen! 

2 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Agreed. Thankfully Glastonbury is musically diverse, and seems to quite enjoy booking headliners that are a bit of a surprise and certain people moan, but then in hindsight turn out to be a great booking. So really anything could happen! 

Not very often though, most are very predictable "safe" bookings*.

*West Holts and The Park excepted

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not very often though, most are very predictable "safe" bookings*.

*West Holts and The Park excepted

It's really no surprise that they book big acts (safe) for the big stage.