2024 Headliners

2 hours ago, StevieGed said:

If there's anyone I'd back to pop up at the festival and do a one off performance, it's Coldplay. Can imagine after this tour they'll be taking a very long break, so what's more ideal for them to finish up at Glastonbury. Could also see that being 2024 tbh, but think if these dates stretch beyond June 2024 then they have to be decent contenders for 2025. 

Oddly, given their well known love of the gaff, they’ve never done a one off, it’s always part of a bigger tour even if they tweak the show for Glastonbury. Think their modern stage set is too complex.

I entirely had them down for 2025 (with Swifty and Fender) in my head maybe near the start of their next tour (as they did in 02 and 11) but them doing dates in 2024 has thrown me, got to be in the mix for next year now.

33 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I enjoyed Arctics but having watched them back I can see how it may not have been people's cups of tea. It's not always the case for every act, but if you're performing in the dark in a headline slot, I think having a very dim stage set up doesn't help the cause for people who may want to see what they're about/giving them a go. That coupled with a lack of crowd interaction can mean it'll be very hit and miss for a lot of people. I know you're there for the music, but I do think a live set can be enhanced with some visual eye candy. 

Dark stage/lack of crowd interaction/long gaps between songs/playing the well known stuff too slowly is not a recipe for a classic Glastonbury headliner set.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Luckily we can put to bed any debate about the Arctic Monkeys after the resounding success of the all-time classic they delivered 4 weeks back.

Think theres no consensus from I gather. Either people loved it or thought it was meh. I was in the latter. 

Just get the impression they're just there for a pay check 

Glad Ive seen them once but unless they release a corker of an album (for my tastes) then probs won't bother trying to see them again 

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Half the argument was can they do it down south. They could always do it in the North given where they are from.

Sounds like the argument people make about the Courteeners. Though feels redundant if AM were already headlining European festivals on album 2.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Sounds like the argument people make about the Courteeners. Though feels redundant if AM were already headlining European festivals on album 2.

They were topping some of them. But what they do in Europe is nothing to do with here. Also, Courteeners is different. It well known they aren't as big in the south. That can clearly be seen by playing Brixton and not the bigger venues. They did get a great spot at Glastonbury either.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Truly a record-breaking band. The only act to headline Glastonbury three times and make a pie of it on every occasion.

Did they? 2013 was very positively received. 2007's I think was held back by crap sound judging by reports I've seen from those there at the time.

Did they? 2013 was very positively received. 2007's I think was held back by crap sound judging by reports I've seen from those there at the time.

2013 was good. The idea that they weren't is just repeated by the same few people (who weren't even there) over and over again on here until people think it's a fact.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

2013 was good. The idea that they weren't is just repeated by the same few people (who weren't even there) over and over again on here until people think it's a fact.

They had sound issues in 2007 as did the Killers. Glasto HQ ditched the sound guys then.

The issue really is the repeat headliners. Arctic Monkeys headlining 3 times in 15 years, Muse about the same, Coldplay 4 times in 20 years etc. And may be 5 times by 2024.

10 headline spots between those 3 bands in the last 15-20 odd years. Dull as dishwater.

Yeah 2013 was great. Had they included Do You Wanna Know? in that 2013 set and not waited until 2014 touring then I'd have skipped them at Glastonbury and saw chems or Carl Cox. 

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I didn’t go but 2013 looked great. Much better than last month.

1 minute ago, northernangel said:

Yeah 2013 was great. Had they included Do You Wanna Know? in that 2013 set and not waited until 2014 touring then I'd have skipped them at Glastonbury and saw chems or Carl Cox. 

They opened with that in 2013?

3 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Maybe they have Coldplay next year as they love Glastonbury and would do it for cheap so they could push the boat out for other areas (not just headliners) 

For what. Would be nice to have an entire year of first time headliners. 

IMG_6826.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

9 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Trouble is, I’m always thinking it’s a terrible waste of a great drummer. I’d love to know what Matt Helders really thinks of the last two albums.

Let's just say, whilst they were recording The Car, there was talk of it being their last album as not all members of AM enjoyed the recording process or the new direction too much.. 👀

On 7/17/2023 at 7:40 PM, nikkic said:

Has Dua headlined any other UK festivals yet? 

4th down at reading/leeds is the highest i can find with a quick look.

also headlined the orange(main) stage at roskilde.

Edited by Neil

51 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They had sound issues in 2007 as did the Killers. Glasto HQ ditched the sound guys then.

The issue really is the repeat headliners. Arctic Monkeys headlining 3 times in 15 years, Muse about the same, Coldplay 4 times in 20 years etc. And may be 5 times by 2024.

10 headline spots between those 3 bands in the last 15-20 odd years. Dull as dishwater.

Oh yeah repeat bookings (and you can add Muse to that list) are dull and uninspiring, but the point being made here is that AM did not f**k it in 13, as the same few people are so desperate to have you believe.

Personally I'd install a ten year minimum between repeat headline sets.

57 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Radiohead was 3 times in 20 but 2 were close together and then a big gap. Its either they just cant be bothered to make a bigger effort to not have repeats as often or this is what settling looks like.

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Radiohead was 3 times in 20 but 2 were close together and then a big gap. Its either they just cant be bothered to make a bigger effort to not have repeats as often or this is what settling looks like.

I guess the Cure did it 3 times in 10 years or something. Elvis Costello too (4 times?) but they were earlier days.

Really fearing another Coldplay announcement this time. I mean, its been 4 festivals since the last time!

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I guess the Cure did it 3 times in 10 years or something. Elvis Costello too (4 times?) but they were earlier days.

Really fearing another Coldplay announcement this time. I mean, its been 4 festivals since the last time!

I tend to treat the festival pre-superfence the same way lots of people treat top flight English football pre-1992.

Didn't actually happen.

40 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That said if Coldplay are announced yet again then so be it. As long as there's a decent alternative somewhere else I don't really care.