2024 Headliners

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I’m 46 in 2 weeks and paid to go and see his last arena tour. He’s a lyrical genius and Psychodrama is one of the best albums of the last decade. 

This shows who is seeking out newer artists and evolving taste rather than to be stuck in the old ways. How it should be.

There is a decent music knowledge gap on the average punter at the fest though. I brought up newer acts last year just chatting with random people in queues and they had no clue. So is nobody researching anything at all? Are they like The Lads who go see 3 acts a day and party the rest or just show up to something to say they were there?

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I mean yeah but on the other hand it’s now left them in a situation where the headliner pool has been bled so dry and  unreplenished that it’s become a realistic possibility the Foo Fighters could headline for the second time in five festivals. Stormzy and Mumfords are the only times they’ve taken a chance on a headliner in living memory - yes it’s unfortunate that both dropped off the face of the earth after that but I don’t think Emily would ever say they were wrong to be given the chance. Sometimes you just have to go for it. 

Stormzy dropped off the face of the earth after glastonbury?

I mean even for this thread that is a stonkingly awful take.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I’m 46 in 2 weeks and paid to go and see his last arena tour. He’s a lyrical genius and Psychodrama is one of the best albums of the last decade. 

This. “Black” and “Lesley” are absolutely incredible tracks.

The idea that most of the British public don’t know Dave is hilarious as well. I’d say he’s basically as safe a bet as Sam Fender to headline the festival in the next few years - doubt either will be next year, but would be very confident both will happen at some stage.

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Yeah. Stormzy had a sold out uk arena tour that he finally did after covid. Doesnt sound like he went anywhere. Still hasnt come back to the states though which is a shame.

6 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Maybe ‘dropped off the face of the earth’ was too strong his popularity has flatlined at best. Third album had no cultural impact whatsoever and the only tour date he’s announced in support of it hasn’t sold out despite a strong undercard. 

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

O-Rod 2025

Yep. As expected, new one’s a belter. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

15 hours ago, roughbloke said:

There is no way Olivia Rodrigo is headlining Glastonbury next year or 2025

Vampire like everything else she writes is about to go huge and in my view is yet another fantastic song.

Like I said yesterday I think Emily is going to be keeping a close eye on how this album does

5 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Vampire like everything else she writes is about to go huge and in my view is yet another fantastic song.

Like I said yesterday I think Emily is going to be keeping a close eye on how this album does

It was always likely to be huge and this song has killed off any lingering doubts. Any dithering will surely see R&L beat Glastonbury to it as revenge for the latter securing Billie last year. Get her locked in Emily.

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah. Stormzy had a sold out uk arena tour that he finally did after covid. Doesnt sound like he went anywhere. Still hasnt come back to the states though which is a shame.

Just out of interest, @Suprefan, is there much of a following in the states for British hip-hop?

I’ve seen Chuck D be very complimentary about Little Simz before

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

This shows who is seeking out newer artists and evolving taste rather than to be stuck in the old ways. How it should be.

There is a decent music knowledge gap on the average punter at the fest though. I brought up newer acts last year just chatting with random people in queues and they had no clue. So is nobody researching anything at all? Are they like The Lads who go see 3 acts a day and party the rest or just show up to something to say they were there?

There are certainly a lot of people (mainly people of my generation in fairness) who want to go to Glastonbury for the party but really only want the same acts they were seeing in the 90's there.

There are plenty of people for whom the music isn't the most important thing in the first place and those people are absolutely fine but yep the ones who complain because Stone Roses or Oasis aren't reuniting to go on the Pyramid Stage grind my gears. This time though I have to say I spoke to a lot of people who admitted to not being totally up to date with their musical knowledge but they at least seemed really open to listening to anything and when Rina and Jacob came on with Elton I had a few people around me say who are they because they sound great.

7 hours ago, CC22 said:

This. “Black” and “Lesley” are absolutely incredible tracks.

The idea that most of the British public don’t know Dave is hilarious as well. I’d say he’s basically as safe a bet as Sam Fender to headline the festival in the next few years - doubt either will be next year, but would be very confident both will happen at some stage.

The first time I heard Lesley will stay with me forever. I think I held my breath for half the song. It's like a mini-play of a song. If someone doesn't like Dave I can only assume they don't care for lyrics because honestly to have such talent at such a young age leaves me completely in awe.

10 hours ago, ciderdrenched said:

Also interesting to me on how people seem to judge acts as having missed their chance. Foals, for example. Who is to say they won't be back in 2-3 years with another album that hits huge success and primes them for another chance at the Pyramid? 

Yep, is true. It makes me chuckle a bit that people think Lil Simz is in contention, yet rule out Foals completely. Foals have a big fanbase already, plenty of commercial hits that people know, and know and love the festival.

The only thing holding them back, in my opinion, is that in the criteria of Pyramid headliners and the thirst for genre diversity, there are bigger "guitar" bands ahead of them. 

My personal opinion, there are a number of criteria a pyramid headliner needs to hit to be considered in this day & age. 

1.  Mainstream appeal- can whoever it is draw a crowd  

2. If they aren’t at their peak years have the hit public conscious previously in a way that they can be classed as still relevant today, that their music resonates with all ages. 

3. If they are at the younger or newer has their album just smashed into public consciousness to the point they are played everywhere, that even someone in their 40’s will know who they are. 

4. genre suits the stage- does the genre of music suit what the festival is looking for. I hear people trot out Spotify listens for Dave etc well that’s all well & good but I’m sure David guetta got plenty of listens when he was knocking out ten a penny Dance tunes with a female vocalist over it doesn’t mean he’d suit a headline spot at glastonbury. I’d argue an Eminem/50 cent booking is a priority of the likes of a Dave. As both Eminem & 50 cent would meet at least the first 3 criteria. 

this year’s headliners whilst most hope for new met all the criteria which is why they were good bookings. 

I think dua lipa is in the public consciousness now with her guesting on songs by Elton etc. this gives her the credibility to someone of an older demographic. think what currently slows newer pop artists is that the majority are now basically dance/pop where to an older demographic comes across it could be anyone, where as previous pop singers could be distinguished Britney, Christina, Beyoncé, rhianna & Taylor swift. 

anyway that’s my perspective i like rap bands & I can’t appreciate a good song along pop act but if they don’t hit the 3 main criteria listed above they aren’t a good booking for me. 

Arctic monkeys- great back catalogue anyone from 20-60 will know who they are & massive.

guns and roses- again great back catalogue, anyone who’s 20 on a night out has heard sweet child of mine, a massive draw 

Elton- nothing else to be said legend. 

doesn’t bother me if they were all male & a bit on the rock side they were good bookings. 

so as for who I’d like next year. 

Rock- foo’s, ac/Dc, greenday- all meet the criteria 

dua lipa- all meet the criteria 

beyonce/rhianna/swift/Madonna- all meet the criteria 

who I think could should do it in future 

justin timberlake

christina Aguilera

7 minutes ago, Rodders2023 said:

My personal opinion, there are a number of criteria a pyramid headliner needs to hit to be considered in this day & age. 

2. If they aren’t at their peak years have the hit public conscious previously in a way that they can be classed as still relevant today, that their music resonates with all ages. 

3. If they are at the younger or newer has their album just smashed into public consciousness to the point they are played everywhere, that even someone in their 40’s will know who they are. 

4. genre suits the stage- does the genre of music suit what the festival is looking for. I hear people trot out Spotify listens for Dave etc well that’s all well & good but I’m sure David guetta got plenty of listens when he was knocking out ten a penny Dance tunes with a female vocalist over it doesn’t mean he’d suit a headline spot at glastonbury. I’d argue an Eminem/50 cent booking is a priority of the likes of a Dave. As both Eminem & 50 cent would meet at least the first 3 criteria. 

this year’s headliners whilst most hope for new met all the criteria which is why they were good bookings. 

I think dua lipa is in the public consciousness now with her guesting on songs by Elton etc. this gives her the credibility to someone of an older demographic. think what currently slows newer pop artists is that the majority are now basically dance/pop where to an older demographic comes across it could be anyone, where as previous pop singers could be distinguished Britney, Christina, Beyoncé, rhianna & Taylor swift. 

anyway that’s my perspective i like rap bands & I can’t appreciate a good song along pop act but if they don’t hit the 3 main criteria listed above they aren’t a good booking for me. 

Arctic monkeys- great back catalogue anyone from 20-60 will know who they are & massive.

guns and roses- again great back catalogue, anyone who’s 20 on a night out has heard sweet child of mine, a massive draw 

doesn’t bother me if they were all male & a bit on the rock side they were good bookings. 

justin timberlake

christina Aguilera

Good post and I agree in general - although there's been some small crowds on the Pyramid over the years, e.g. Kendrick, Radiohead, but those last two names (Timberlake/Aguilera) would surely be better as a Legend or fun sub, than anything else.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

10 minutes ago, Rodders2023 said:

justin timberlake

christina Aguilera

Why would you like Foos again though? They've only had 19 and 22 as gaps playing. It would be the laziest booking.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Two separate posts this week now that have suggested Christina Aguilera as a potential future headliner. Think there’s more chance of Will Young 

I think she would get 3rd down Pyramid in the Katy Perry/Miley mould.