2024 Festival

Chad888

52 minutes ago, gfa said:

TBH I think the lineup is 100% there

the issue is the price. my first one it was £250 ish now its close to £400. obviously a lot of people get the money from parents but its got to the point where its a lot to even ask off parents, especially when everyone is holding back on spending.

for the young people with saturday jobs etc its like a whole months wage basically. they need to find a way to reign in the cost, its more than Glastonbury this year even!! (probably for the first time ever?)

Yup, without a doubt and that’s without transport and spending money…

This is the problem though if they’re going to charge those prices, they need to target wider demographics, esp those with more disposable income.

You can’t produce a lineup for kids and then charge prices kids can not afford…

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

the issue is the price. my first one it was £250 ish now its close to £400. obviously a lot of people get the money from parents but its got to the point where its a lot to even ask off parents, especially when everyone is holding back on spending.

for the young people with saturday jobs etc its like a whole months wage basically. they need to find a way to reign in the cost, its more than Glastonbury this year even!! (probably for the first time ever?)

Feels like that issue is being seen with gigs across the board, and certainly with the younger generation, Taylor Swift's 8 nights at Wembley (many of which are also in August) presumably has crossover with a demographic that might once have spent the top dollar on going R&L way.

Reading being more than Glastonbury is pretty wild, mind.

58 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Feels like that issue is being seen with gigs across the board, and certainly with the younger generation, Taylor Swift's 8 nights at Wembley (many of which are also in August) presumably has crossover with a demographic that might once have spent the top dollar on going R&L way.

Reading being more than Glastonbury is pretty wild, mind.

Perhaps - but reading never really has been until this lana booking been fighting much for that demographic.

Seems fests aimed at young people across the board are struggling a bit - even like Parklife which has very much kept costs down hasn't sold out for instance. Seems superstruct ones are doing decent

2 hours ago, gfa said:

problem is cost with all things now, reckon the days of doing a festival as a cheap holiday have gone!!! 😞 

(that was what kept me going to glastonbury for many years - [my only holiday])

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Benj said:

3 years ago…

They’ll do fine, I suspect there will be many, many kids that don’t give the slightest of f**ks though, I reckon Raye will get a bigger crowd 

Just noticed they’ve not managed to sell out 10,000 tickets at Cardiff Castle…

Just checked and they've sold out the two dates

33 minutes ago, Sam Y said:

Just checked and they've sold out the two dates

They deffo hadn’t yesterday 🤣 just my luck

…or maybe I didn’t click far enough

Impressive then, esp if it’s the two nights, although it will no doubt dent Reading demand, it certainly very much proves remaining relevance. 

15 hours ago, Benj said:

Impressive then, esp if it’s the two nights, although it will no doubt dent Reading demand, it certainly very much proves remaining relevance. 

Certainly, for all the derision they get, Catfish seem to attract a wider fanbase than they get credit for.

18 hours ago, gfa said:

Perhaps - but reading never really has been until this lana booking been fighting much for that demographic.

Seems fests aimed at young people across the board are struggling a bit - even like Parklife which has very much kept costs down hasn't sold out for instance. Seems superstruct ones are doing decent

Feels like a problem for the industry as a whole to get people still going in through the gates, especially given the number of festivals here that have opted against returning for 2024. Seems like a global thing as well with several big-name US festivals being slow-sellers and talk that the market in Australia is also having bother.

Rise Against have announced a couple of shows in Manchester and London just before R&L - could they be added? Perhaps to the Blink day

Blink / Gerry / TDCC / Spiritbox / Neck Deep / Rise Against / Story so Far / The K’s / Kneecap 

Edited by Dukey

4 hours ago, Dukey said:

Rise Against have announced a couple of shows in Manchester and London just before R&L - could they be added? Perhaps to the Blink day

Blink / Gerry / TDCC / Spiritbox / Neck Deep / Rise Against / Story so Far / The K’s / Kneecap 

I was thinking the same thing. 

5 hours ago, Dukey said:

Yeah got to be. Saw them announced and thought the same. Great booking if so. 

7 hours ago, Dukey said:

If they are they are playing further up than that on £60 a pop. None of those bands above them except for Blink or Gerry charge that do they?

1 hour ago, Cammers said:

Just bump them one slot on the suggested line up.

Gives Neck Deep a longer break in between the double set too. Everyone's a winner. 

Agreed. I’d argue that Neck Deep are the bigger band of the two in the UK these days but it gives them more time between slots. 

Blink-182 / Gerry Cinnamon / Two Door Cinema Club / Spiritbox / Rise Against / Neck Deep / The K’s / Kneecap

The Story So Far to play the R1 Stage at some point that day because I can’t see the Main Stage having 9 acts. 

Edited by Andre91

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Story So Far to play the R1 Stage at some point that day because I can’t see the Main Stage having 9 acts. 

Yet more shrinkflation if so

…and they’ll still be scratching their heads as to why no one is paying £350 to go Leeds

They’ll be opening the gates at 2pm by 2026

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Yet more shrinkflation if so

…and they’ll still be scratching their heads as to why no one is paying £350 to go Leeds

They’ll be opening the gates at 2pm by 2026

It isn’t. The Main Stage didn’t routinely have 9 acts on for years before it went to two Main Stages. It used to be 9 each day in 2010/11 but pretty soon after that it was always 8, with the exception being the day Billie Eilish was moved to the Main Stage in 2019. 

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It isn’t. The Main Stage didn’t routinely have 9 acts on for years before it went to two Main Stages. It used to be 9 each day in 2010/11 but pretty soon after that it was always 8, with the exception being the day Billie Eilish was moved to the Main Stage in 2019. 

This is not the case.

Every day in 2019 had 9 acts

image.thumb.png.d61e5a9d32a515f5174d1d4b1a9159ad.png

every day in 2018 had 9 acts

image.thumb.jpeg.a684f7eb87e02405bc2ecb4adceb335d.jpeg

etc etc…

Edited by Benj

56 minutes ago, Benj said:

This is not the case.

Every day in 2019 had 9 acts

image.thumb.png.d61e5a9d32a515f5174d1d4b1a9159ad.png

every day in 2018 had 9 acts

image.thumb.jpeg.a684f7eb87e02405bc2ecb4adceb335d.jpeg

etc etc…

So it is! I must be thinking of Download who have 8. Apologies 🙂 

However, I’m still expecting 8 because of the 6 ‘headliners’ thing. The ‘subs’ will have longer sets, I should think. 

Edited by Andre91

In which case, please give us a day like this: 

Blink-182 

Gerry Cinnamon 

Two Door Cinema Club 

Spiritbox

Rise Against

Neck Deep 

The Story So Far

The K’s 

Kneecap 

If only Gerry wasn’t subbing and it was A Day To Remember or The Prodigy. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:38 PM, Benj said:

Sold out 1st March, the day tickets went in sale. The demand is very much there. 
image.thumb.png.45eb56882d68c412bb2008de2fb3821e.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Logan1996 said:

May be early doors to think about it , but based on last few years surely we should be expecting announcement this month/near future 

experince over the last few years has suggested that the longer you wait the worse the announcement seems to get