2024 Festival

Chad888

6 hours ago, gfa said:

They will stick around but think this generation's AM is a push. Not that i can suggest a much better option mind you

They are a kind of different audience to AM - they haven't got 'the lads' onboard like AM or say LG from the generation before

I was thinking more the performance on stage was very 'laddy', basically Matty running around smoking a pack of fags, doing shots, rolling around on the floor.

Obviously the music doesn't back that, singing about Chocolate and Shes American. If I didn't see them, I'd assume they dressed like Mumford and Sons.

I see their sound evolving though, over the next 20 years like Arctics has. But do they have the insanely widespread bops like Arctics had?

That said ... are there any bands out now who have the potential to bring out a string of albums that will be timeless bops heard in every indie student club for the next 20 years?

43 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I was thinking more the performance on stage was very 'laddy', basically Matty running around smoking a pack of fags, doing shots, rolling around on the floor.

Obviously the music doesn't back that, singing about Chocolate and Shes American. If I didn't see them, I'd assume they dressed like Mumford and Sons.

I see their sound evolving though, over the next 20 years like Arctics has. But do they have the insanely widespread bops like Arctics had?

That said ... are there any bands out now who have the potential to bring out a string of albums that will be timeless bops heard in every indie student club for the next 20 years?

If there was any band I’d say the 1975 wouldn’t dress like, having solely listened to their music I’d say it was Mumford and sons

They already have loads more bops than a Arctic Monkeys and some off albums not released over 10 years ago

Edited by Benj

11 hours ago, TKOCF said:

God help us if it’s these guys:

IMG_8887.thumb.jpeg.a1fd3ff50e33b0719d36f189b66d370a.jpeg

Is that just some lads on their way to watch Hull play

"havin' a few pints and a scrap, f*ck the Preston. Up the 'ull lads"

Or it could just be 4 blokes having a pint at their local Toby Carvery.

Edited by Chad888

16 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Feels like that's been a problem for a while. I've said this before but there was a real lack of bands coming through to festival headline status in the 2010s, or at least, big enough to be 10/10 Glasto/R&L headliners, and of late there feels like there's been a pivot more towards solo artists.

1 hour ago, Matt86 said:

is that so ? I thought they were getting some popularity lately, did'nt think they were considered as a sh*tty band in the UK 🤔

They’re one of those bands that are very popular in their local area (Sheffield/Rotherham, played Sheff Arena recently and playing a big outdoor gig in Rotherham next year) but building up to academies elsewhere.

They’re dogshit btw, leeching off Arctics early sound.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They’re one of those bands that are very popular in their local area (Sheffield/Rotherham, played Sheff Arena recently and playing a big outdoor gig in Rotherham next year) but building up to academies elsewhere.

They’re dogshit btw, leeching off Arctics early sound.

If Arctics didn't piss it up the wall the no one would have needed to lol. Guess their popularity shows early Arctics would still ....they were ace at Y Not Fest.

59 minutes ago, northernangel said:

If Arctics didn't piss it up the wall the no one would have needed to lol. Guess their popularity shows early Arctics would still ....they were ace at Y Not Fest.

That’s true, people clearly still crying out for the early Arctics sound. They’re a shameless copy in my eyes, and a poor one at that. At least Alex Turner is a decent lyricist.

53 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That’s true, people clearly still crying out for the early Arctics sound. They’re a shameless copy in my eyes, and a poor one at that. At least Alex Turner is a decent lyricist.

I like The Reytons so I can't really agree. Why wouldn't people cry out for music like one of tbe best debuts to ever be released?

In all fairness, it is going to take a British band in this case some going to match or beat the Arctics debut.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

Feels like that's been a problem for a while. I've said this before but there was a real lack of bands coming through to festival headline status in the 2010s, or at least, big enough to be 10/10 Glasto/R&L headliners, and of late there feels like there's been a pivot more towards solo artists.

This is what I've been getting at for a while.

The way we interact with music is massively different now. It perfectly correlates with the introduction of streaming. ITunes, Spotify, Tidal, YouTube etc all give all potential fans immediate access to all bands. 

You have to put out the greatest, catchiest track, otherwise the fans will listen to something else and they don't get a chance to grow their sound, because they have put off all potential fans and they end up with a specific circle of fans and that's it done.

You end up with acts like Reytons who try to make it with a like-for-like sound of Arctics.

Acts like Idles, Nothing But Thieves, Don Broco, Fontaines who will forever hover around 4th, 5th, 6th down.

Acts like Post Malone will jump straight to headliner because they instantly release addictive hits Rockstar and Psycho etc and every station has it on none stop and its top of everyone's playlist. Same with Migos and Bad and Boujee coming straight to subbing.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

This is what I've been getting at for a while.

The way we interact with music is massively different now. It perfectly correlates with the introduction of streaming. ITunes, Spotify, Tidal, YouTube etc all give all potential fans immediate access to all bands. 

You have to put out the greatest, catchiest track, otherwise the fans will listen to something else and they don't get a chance to grow their sound, because they have put off all potential fans and they end up with a specific circle of fans and that's it done.

You end up with acts like Reytons who try to make it with a like-for-like sound of Arctics.

Acts like Idles, Nothing But Thieves, Don Broco, Fontaines who will forever hover around 4th, 5th, 6th down.

Acts like Post Malone will jump straight to headliner because they instantly release addictive hits Rockstar and Psycho etc and every station has it on none stop and its top of everyone's playlist. Same with Migos and Bad and Boujee coming straight to subbing.

Migos played 5th in 2017.