2024 Festival

Chad888

Most of Post Malones fans are kids and teens. There is a crossover of fans that prefer rap over rock, and kids/teens. Just because the kids that like rap also like Post Malone does not make him rap. This is awful stereotyping "his fans are chavs, therefore he is a rapper".

Its like saying Olivia Rodrigo makes rock music, or RATM are heavy metal. No, there is a crossover of fanbases. Take it out of music, it is like saying people that like comedy films also enjoy the Godfather, therefore the Godfather is a comedy film.

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Nobody sees Post Malone as a rock act. 

The line isn't between rock or rap. There are quite a lot more genres than that.

I started this off by saying Post Malone is a country pop star. The latest era of pop music is the slurred, mumbled, autotuned singing. There is no rap in his songs. He sometimes feats rappers, but he does not rap.

Post Malone fanbase is the same as the modern iteration of Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber, and Harry Styles.

Edited by Chad888

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Nobody sees Post Malone as a rock act. 

Has anyone said they do?

He’s a pop star, who dips into loads of different genres for influences, sounds and songs

He has some full on rap numbers some full on rock numbers, most a bit of a poppy, rock, rap combo, which is why he appeals so broadly

As stated above to say he’s a rapper is being completely reductionist

To say he appeals to the ‘rap crowd’, esp that at Reading is more than fair. His appeal is much much wider though

Even on his own Spotify profile, Post Malone is described as rap lol. Yes he branches out into other genres, but rap is what he is primarily associated with. No different to Harry Styles having songs with an indie/rocky sound; still doesn't make him a rockstar, he's a popstar. 

1195764691_Screenshot2023-10-23at16_30_23.thumb.png.e89701b6454f6d2c92fbb06a1b73162a.png

15 minutes ago, stanh said:

Even on his own Spotify profile, Post Malone is described as rap lol. Yes he branches out into other genres, but rap is what he is primarily associated with. No different to Harry Styles having songs with an indie/rocky sound; still doesn't make him a rockstar, he's a popstar. 

1195764691_Screenshot2023-10-23at16_30_23.thumb.png.e89701b6454f6d2c92fbb06a1b73162a.png

It actually says he “bridges the gap between rap and the pop mainstream”, which is exactly what you’re saying re Harry Styles 🤣

…and what people have been saying here

No one says he didn’t rap just that he is not “a rapper”, he’s a pop star who at times raps… (and does so less and less in seems)

On a similar note, who would declare Twenty One Pilots rap?

Edited by Benj

1 minute ago, Benj said:

It actually says he “bridges the gap between rap and the pop mainstream”, which is exactly what you’re saying re Harry Styles 🤣

No one says he didn’t rap just that he is not “a rapper”, he’s a pop star who at times raps… (and does so less and less in seems)

He's still primarily associated with rap, if you asked 100 people what genre is Post Malone, I guarantee the majority would say rap. 

Just now, stanh said:

He's still primarily associated with rap, if you asked 100 people what genre is Post Malone, I guarantee the majority would say rap. 

It probably depends on who you asked and if they’d listened to most of his music… listen to his most recent LP and say he’s a rapper…

I would probably have said he was a rapper back in 2018, he’s clearly moved the perception on since then

(and Chad would say that wasn’t even rap anyway, which is a completely different argument) 

20 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Blink are going to be coming into R+L after a solid 18 months of endless touring. Not the best situation when they have a recently returned member who is infamous for getting burnt out with constant touring and then quitting the band. I'm hoping Tom's new found appreciation for blink isn't just a phase! 

That won’t make a difference. If you’d have seen them on this tour, you’d have seen that they are literally in the best form of their entire career. I also watched the Zane Lowe interview today and it’s very, very clear that all three of them are all in on this, especially Tom. They will smash a headline slot.

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

It probably depends on who you asked and if they’d listened to most of his music… listen to his most recent LP and say he’s a rapper…

I would probably have said he was a rapper back in 2018, he’s clearly moved the perception on since then

(and Chad would say that wasn’t even rap anyway, which is a completely different argument) 

The average person though... 

It's like Drake releasing a Honestly, Nevermind - a house album, doesn't mean he's a house artists. He's still a rapper. 

I don't think you are getting our points here. Yes Postie has branched out to different genres, nobody here is denying that; especially with the most recent release, however, the average R&L attendee will almost certainly say he's a rapper, that is how he became a household name in the first place, plus, AUSTIN did kinda flop by Post Malone's standards.

11 minutes ago, stanh said:

The average person though... 

It's like Drake releasing a Honestly, Nevermind - a house album, doesn't mean he's a house artists. He's still a rapper. 

I don't think you are getting our points here. Yes Postie has branched out to different genres, nobody here is denying that; especially with the most recent release, however, the average R&L attendee will almost certainly say he's a rapper, that is how he became a household name in the first place, plus, AUSTIN did kinda flop by Post Malone's standards.

No, I’m competely getting the points, I’m stating they’re hugely reductionist, as your explanation of your views further confirms

The fact that rap fans don’t seem to like his new material, just further confirms he’s likely not “a rapper”

Edited by Benj

4 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

what are the actual odds of Paramore / Eminem / Blink as the top 3?

if it happens i will probably skip Download to fly to Reading instead

I think paramore is confirmed? they will of just be finishing their tour with Taylor swift so id say they're definite. I could see blink as potential seen as they've come out with new music but I doubt Eminem will be there

1 hour ago, rowena_ said:

I think paramore is confirmed? they will of just be finishing their tour with Taylor swift so id say they're definite. I could see blink as potential seen as they've come out with new music but I doubt Eminem will be there

I'm not 100% sure about Paramore. Sure, they're around, but they're doing a full May-August run with Taylor Swift and made me ponder if they might decide to go for a break after that.

Blink's timing of the postponed Ireland/Scotland shows to August is much more of a giveaway that they're gonna be around.