Arcardia at the blood world cup

zahidf

quite a bit of discussion on last nights virtual meet ref this topic 

a few discussions around if Arcadia could somehow salvage something out of this ..... play some YmCA on the spider? , donate some of the money to Gay charities ? have some overtly displayed rainbow flags etc 

As per @stuie comments above could the use of the Sea king rather than the spider be used to distance themselves amongst the less knowledagable ?

Also talk of some crew boycotts maybe the arcadia crew bar and some kind of movement amongst crew to raise awareness 

I do think they will  come across difficulties if there is nothing found to plug that hole .... arcadia takes lots of pressure off the SEC crowd numbers 

Have Arcadia taken the jump now to go it alone with the funding they will get from this ? and how much longer remains on  the contact to tie them to the festival ? and how quickly anyone can escape any contracts these things usually take years to solve . They were still getting funding with Pangea 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

quite a bit of discussion on last nights virtual meet ref this topic 

a few discussions around if Arcadia could somehow salvage something out of this ..... play some YmCA on the spider? , donate some of the money to Gay charities ? have some overtly displayed rainbow flags etc 

As per @stuie comments above could the use of the Sea king rather than the spider be used to distance themselves amongst the less knowledagable ?

Also talk of some crew boycotts maybe the arcadia crew bar and some kind of movement amongst crew to raise awareness 

I do think they will  come across difficulties if there is nothing found to plug that hole .... arcadia takes lots of pressure off the SEC crowd numbers 

Have Arcadia taken the jump now to go it alone with the funding they will get from this ? and how much longer remains on  the contact to tie them to the festival ? and how quickly anyone can escape any contracts these things usually take years to solve . They were still getting funding with Pangea 

I don’t think Glasto are about to boycott Arcadia but I think if the spider features in footage from Qatar they won’t want that image at next years festival so it’ll be all change.

Obviously Arcadia was formed using festival funding but they’ve long had the blessing of the festival to do other events and make it a viable business rather than something just for Glasto, even other UK festivals - Bestival, Boomtown, their own festival in London, Bristol, Perth, Korea, Bangkok. 

I doubt there will be anything contractual that’s a problem with the World Cup, just morals and optics.

It must feel a little bit like biting the hand that fed you from GFL's perspective, knowing the ethos of the festival and the controversy around the WC. I appreciate that their early investment doesn't necessarily mean they own the Arcadia brand but the association between the two has become synonymous over the past decade. It's very hard to separate one from the other. I think I would have liked GFL to have made a definitive statement completely distancing themselves. Difficult to know what the future holds in the relationship between the two. I imagine it'll be soon forgotten come early next year and it'll be business as usual in June, but I can't say I'm comfortable with it 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I appreciate that their early investment

they were putting money in at the Pangea stage weren't they? ... so there isnt any kind of split yet in terms of money ? probably the world cup money will enable this 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

it'll be business as usual in June,

probably for general festival goers but id expect some comeback elsewhere amongst crews 

32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

they were putting money in at the Pangea stage weren't they? ... so there isnt any kind of split yet in terms of money ? probably the world cup money will enable this 

Pangea was exclusive to glasto, most likely due to the groundwork required. 

Arcadia has been a separate company for years though. GFL wouldn’t have earned from Arcadia being at Boomtown/Bestival or any of their own events. GFL just give Arcadia a budget to produce their field. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

https://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/pangea

Glastonbury have given them a budget and an environment to develop stuff from day one, it wasn’t just for Pangea, that was just a natural development along the timeline.

That’s why people thing that there’s some kind of ownership and control.  When they pitched their idea to Michael Eavis, it was to get Glasto funding for the Afterburner and Michael run with it.  Several years later, GFL gave their consent for it to be turned into an independent business that worked with other events, sometimes even competitor events.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, Suprefan said:

how many people here are even boycotting the whole tournament anyway. Cause if youre not then what can you say about the spider being there and youre tuning into every match.

Me. 

So just checking, does this mean I'm officially allowed to be a bit ticked off about Arcadia being there? 

41 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Me. 

So just checking, does this mean I'm officially allowed to be a bit ticked off about Arcadia being there? 

Well yeah. But if everyone is causing a fuss over the spider being there but still watching the matches, what good is that person doing if they have selective restrictions about things. "Shame on Arcadia for taking the blood money! But i want the boys to bring it home and in tuning in."

Why dont we cancel Morgan Freeman while we're at it. He was the voice of the opening ceremony. 

Edited by Suprefan

how many people here are even boycotting the whole tournament anyway. Cause if youre not then what can you say about the spider being there and youre tuning into every match.

I am, and likely I'll be boycotting Arcadia next year.

25 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Why dont we cancel Morgan Freeman while we're at it. He was the voice of the opening ceremony. 

Well to be fair, appearing in the opening ceremony is a hell of a lot worst then the spider turning up at an event. Maybe thats why the BBC never showed the opening ceremony as it would be to shocking. I thought it was a spoof when I saw he was suppossed to have appeared. Never saw that one happening.

Me, and it was only just over a year ago I was at Wembley watching us beat Denmark to make our first major final of my lifetime. 😕 That was an incredible day. I also had tickets to other games, including the final, (though I couldn't make the final due to work reasons 😡.)

I will 100% be supporting England in the tournament, no doubt about that, but I decided I was not going to any games a long time ago. And I won't be watching on TV tomorrow either. I will look out for the scores, and hope they do well, but I'll avoid watching for as long as I can. 

Of course, if England make the semis or final, then it will be a tougher choice, I'd like to think now, that I can stay strong and not watch, but understandably, that may be easier said than done. 

More important though, is that I will not be doing anything that puts more money in the pockets of the organisers, no tickets, no merch, nothing. 

53 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Are the western brands sponsoring spared the boycott? Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Adidas etc, plus the BBC and ITV maybe. But boycott for the duration of the tournament or forever? 

The first 3 don't appear on the farm (even the mixer is pepsi isn't it?), maybe there is some coca cola product in the co-op but i don't think so and even if there is thats pretty minor in the grand scheme vs arcadia.

I thought the BBC had to legally show games of national significance for free or something like that, i think they are just doing their job as a lot of their news reporting has been fairly negative of qatar for a neutral news source.

Main point is arcadia is within the festival's field of control, outside companies aren't

I think @March Hare meant in general, @gfa not just relative to the festival. 

In answer to his question though, I have no idea who is sponsoring the event, apart from the ones you’ve just mentioned, as I’ve seen very little about it, and those brands that are sponsoring it seem to be making less of a song and dance about it (I’ve seen literally nothing so far!) 

I have the maccies app, and there’s usually a world cup overlay and some special stuff in there… So far not even a mention! Is it possible that some of the companies sponsoring the event have, since signing the original contracts, decided to take a bit of a step back from this one?

I mean they’ll obviously get their advertising space over there, but here in the west they may have chosen not to shine the spotlight on their sponsorship, completely unlike past tournaments where it seemed like every other advert on the tv ended with a ‘proud sponsor of the xx world cup’ splash screen. 

Edited by Alvoram

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

The first 3 don't appear on the farm (even the mixer is pepsi isn't it?), maybe there is some coca cola product in the co-op but i don't think so and even if there is thats pretty minor in the grand scheme vs arcadia.

I thought the BBC had to legally show games of national significance for free or something like that, i think they are just doing their job as a lot of their news reporting has been fairly negative of qatar for a neutral news source.

Main point is arcadia is within the festival's field of control, outside companies aren't

I was referring to general life, not the farm. The requirement is that the World Cup is free to air so the BBC could leave it to other providers.

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

In answer to his question though, I have no idea who is sponsoring the event, apart from the ones you’ve just mentioned, as I’ve seen very little about it, and those brands that are sponsoring it seem to be making less of a song and dance about it (I’ve seen literally nothing so far!) 

I have the maccies app, and there’s usually a world cup overlay and some special stuff in there… So far not even a mention! Is it possible that some of the companies sponsoring the event have, since signing the original contracts, decided to take a bit of a step back from this one?

I mean they’ll obviously get their advertising space over there, but here in the west they may have chosen not to shine the spotlight on their sponsorship, completely unlike past tournaments where it seemed like every other advert on the tv ended with a ‘proud sponsor of the xx world cup’ splash screen. 

It’s hard. Occasionally I visit a ‘spoons and feel bad about it. But it’s hard to only engage with businesses aligned with your own standards

If they came out and said the last 3 years have been really hard and it was this or financial ruin then at least that would be something. The silence is very odd. Maybe they can’t say anything until it’s all over?

There are quite a list of artists playing over there, who should be similarly boycotted if Arcadia are for this:

https://www.tixbox.com/en/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrHMOXCaz4cCoTF-7Ck72caoIRfYuuXLQRzc0iwJ_th_G4nRrb76el0aArpiEALw_wcB

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

10 hours ago, March Hare said:

I was referring to general life, not the farm. The requirement is that the World Cup is free to air so the BBC could leave it to other providers.

It’s hard. Occasionally I visit a ‘spoons and feel bad about it. But it’s hard to only engage with businesses aligned with your own standards

ah right not to worry ^^

16 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Well yeah. But if everyone is causing a fuss over the spider being there but still watching the matches, what good is that person doing if they have selective restrictions about things. "Shame on Arcadia for taking the blood money! But i want the boys to bring it home and in tuning in."

I actually find it weird that Morgan Freeman did the voice, seeing as he was also at the bid to host the 2022 world cup for the USA back in...2011. Being involved in these football related things has given me the impression he likes football.  If that's the case, he is a much bigger man than me, I would be snubbing this left right and centre in a petty sulk that i didn't get the bid due to bribes. 

4 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I actually find it weird that Morgan Freeman did the voice, seeing as he was also at the bid to host the 2022 world cup for the USA back in...2011. Being involved in these football related things has given me the impression he likes football.  If that's the case, he is a much bigger man than me, I would be snubbing this left right and centre in a petty sulk that i didn't get the bid due to bribes. 

To be fair David Beckham was also heavily involved in the England bid and he has sold his soul as well. 

I used to be a pretty big football fan but the morality of the game has turned me off over the years and I now just don't follow it any more. In the same way that I used to like to watch Arcadia all be it mostly from a distance but now their morality in recent years makes it a part of Glastonbury I won't go near. 

None of us live perfect lives and I'm sure I will do somethings that people would consider hypocritical but I try to get the big things right. Yesterday I filled my Facebook timeline with some of my favourite LGBTQ artists. I didn't really mean it to be a big deal but I just wanted those people who might be feeling less on a day like yesterday to know that I loved and appreciated them and I was actually touched by how many of my LGBTQ friends got in touch to say that they appreciated it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

To be fair David Beckham was also heavily involved in the England bid and he has sold his soul as well. 

I used to be a pretty big football fan but the morality of the game has turned me off over the years and I now just don't follow it any more. In the same way that I used to like to watch Arcadia all be it mostly from a distance but now their morality in recent years makes it a part of Glastonbury I won't go near. 

None of us live perfect lives and I'm sure I will do somethings that people would consider hypocritical but I try to get the big things right. Yesterday I filled my Facebook timeline with some of my favourite LGBTQ artists. I didn't really mean it to be a big deal but I just wanted those people who might be feeling less on a day like yesterday to know that I loved and appreciated them and I was actually touched by how many of my LGBTQ friends got in touch to say that they appreciated it. 

The england bid was for 2018 though, so i'll give him a pass. he was probably at the russia world cup too though. 

14 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

The england bid was for 2018 though, so i'll give him a pass. he was probably at the russia world cup too though. 

Although David Beckham is a gay icon who has courted the gay pound his whole career whereas I have no idea of Morgan Freeman's stance on gay rights.