Arcardia at the blood world cup

zahidf

7 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's right.

Now, when's the Spider heading over to Pyongyang to pump out Enlightenment Songs such as 'The Party is My Mother' and 'Footsteps'?

Made me crease this, out of upvotes!

7 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Just listened to a footy podcast (Guardian Football Weekly) fella on it said the Spider is open daily 10am to 5am and one of the rare places you can get a bevvy over there.

He also said it was £75 to get in !!!

5pm i heard not 5am

I'd like it if they fucked off Arcadia now and had a structure like Steelyard in its place, i have no idea of costs involved or build times but cant take any longer than the pointless Pier 🤣

Edited by gazzared

30 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Surely the festival can ask that their name is not used in any promotional or advertising of the event? 

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Arcadia might be a separate entity to Glasto, able to make their own business decisions etc, but using GF name like this just seems cheap and makes GF look like they semi-support it. The only reason I can think of is if they're hoping of spreading the good work GF do to new places and those places realise changes they can also make in the future.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Surely the festival can ask that their name is not used in any promotional or advertising of the event? 

They can ask (and probably already have) - and their influence may affect what Arcadia themselves put out, but if the organisers in Qatar want to ignore the request then GFL won't have any way of stopping them. Beyond that, GFL obviously can't stop the media from making the link.

Ultimately, "Arcadia, known for Glastonbury" or similar is a statement of fact, so GFL have very limited capability to stop it being said.

3 hours ago, gazzared said:

I'd like it if they fucked off Arcadia now and had a structure like Steelyard in its place, i have no idea of costs involved or build times but cant take any longer than the pointless Pier 🤣

Build time is 3 to 7 days according to this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:k3gs9tsoDxYJ:www.acorn-events.com/super-structure/&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=safari

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gazzared said:

Yeah I would like one of these.

I'd keep arcadia though and get it to replace Silver Hayes (or maybe could replace john peel and be used in the day and then at night for djs )

1 hour ago, incident said:

They can ask (and probably already have) - and their influence may affect what Arcadia themselves put out, but if the organisers in Qatar want to ignore the request then GFL won't have any way of stopping them. Beyond that, GFL obviously can't stop the media from making the link.

Ultimately, "Arcadia, known for Glastonbury" or similar is a statement of fact, so GFL have very limited capability to stop it being said.

Yeah, as with any at that plays, doubt they could prevent the use of the name, unless they referred to GFL. 

As for potential changes folk mention, doubtless money is finite and going to carry on being so? 

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, as with any at that plays, doubt they could prevent the use of the name, unless they referred to GFL.

I guarantee that at some point during the tournament, the BBC or ITV (and quite probably both) do a video insert on this event as part of their tournament coverage.

I also pretty much guarantee that one or both of the reports opens with some variation of the line "This giant mechanical spider is normally found at Glastonbury".

5 hours ago, gazzared said:

Don't they already have large club-like venues like this in the SE Corner?

Not sure what's so special about it, aside from it being enclosed.

Agree in general though, this could replace Silver Hayes or the second cinema, Carmaggeddon. 

11 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Agree in general though, this could replace Silver Hayes or the second cinema, Carmaggeddon. 

yeah would probaly be better at silver hayes location as every night I walked through there to get to Gate A it was like a ghost town.

I was thinking a big enclosed dance arena like this would take some of the pressure away from SE Corner and help reduce the crushes.

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

yeah would probaly be better at silver hayes location as every night I walked through there to get to Gate A it was like a ghost town.

I was thinking a big enclosed dance arena like this would take some of the pressure away from SE Corner and help reduce the crushes.

Yeah, Silver Hayes has been like that for a while. They had some cool ideas, but like you say, they've always been very limited in their appeal. Felt like a lot of tiny venues all squashed together with sound bleed all over the show.

Perhaps something enclosed is the way to go with actual walls unlike a tent. Anything to take away massive movements to the SEC is a good thing.

12 minutes ago, gazzared said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/qatar-hires-glastonbury-festival-arcadia-spider-for-world-cup-2022-3313435

like its already been said before I cant see michael and emily being happy about having glastonbury mentioned

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 16-40-26 Qatar hires Glastonbury Festival's fire-breathing Arcadia spider for World Cup 2022.png

To those not too familiar with Arcadia that headline reads as if the Glastonbury festival is hiring out the spider. 

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

There's no huge indoor venues. IICON is a field but its outdoors, Temple is the second biggest and its like an ampitheater. The biggest fully indoor venue is probably the downlow ?? The Silver Hayes tent is bigger than that though / san remo too

This is good imo because its big enough for large acts and has atmosphere in the daytime, can use the full lighting setup 24hrs.